Show your calf pictures.

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":2xdf00pb said:
I posted a pic earlier on this thread. Bred a Hereford bull to part of my cows. Had 12 spring calves from this bull. 9 were red/white faced. 5 of those were out of black cows. Does this surprise anyone besides me? I thought the black gene would be dominant. Some of y'all explain this to an idiot please.

Also bred part to a char and got a dukes mixture. Growing like weeds though.

Breeding most of my cows to hereford bull this year. I expect no shortage of RWF calves (majority of cows are black but have some red in the woodpile) but hoping for some incresed gains and some more thickness in the calfs.

MJ, really enjoyed the pic of the calves up under the shade tree. Good stuff

Getting lots and lots of calves. This one herd is teaming with them.
Thinking about putting polled herefords bulls in with this herd this spring..going to go look at some soon. We have this herd where we want them now, no one in here is over 10, most are 6 and under.. Its the biggest herd, 80 in this bunch...

Here's a spotted calf a couple hours after he was born.

image_zpss3jtfhrz.png

She's my youngest sisters cow. 15 years old and she has already bought herself 7 cows. This one was an older 3-1 when we bought her last summer so we are not real sure what the sire is. He has pretty big ears though.

Lot of spotted calves born this year. I knew a guy that had a black and white traditional Sim calf out of nonspotted Simmental parents and it's marked like a panda.

Ojp6":9j89piim said:

image_zpss3jtfhrz.png

She's my youngest sisters cow. 15 years old and she has already bought herself 7 cows. This one was an older 3-1 when we bought her last summer so we are not real sure what the sire is. He has pretty big ears though.
WOW where did she get the money? I thought i was doing good but i only have 2 yearling heifers and a two month holstein steer calf

How is this for spotted????
These two little girls were born right before Easter, and are the result of a split embryo! So they are identical. Sire and dam are both Purebred simmentals (High voltage x Milestone), but I think the traditional simmental look came through! What is the likelihood of getting a purebred that looks like this, let alone identical twins?!
2uyirdd.jpg

These are not mine, by the way! A friend of ours...

ez14":2dv845yv said:
Ojp6":2dv845yv said:

WOW where did she get the money? I thought i was doing good but i only have 2 yearling heifers and a two month holstein steer calf

She's done all kinds of stuff. She got her first cow as a yearling heifer for working around the farm and doing all the chores while everyone else was busy. She's made some money babysitting. She got a purebred puppy for Christmas a few years ago and has been selling its puppies for a little while, which is how she bought her last 4 cows. She's pretty knowledgable about cattle for her age, I think I could trust her to go to a sale and buy cows for me and I think she would do a good job. She sure gives me a hard time if I buy some ugly ones.

Muddy":zbtwiyxv said:
Lot of spotted calves born this year. I knew a guy that had a black and white traditional Sim calf out of nonspotted Simmental parents and it's marked like a panda.
We always get at least one traditional sim marked out of our solid older sim cows. This year we got 3, two black and white and one very old sim colored red and white, marked up just like our bulls we had in the 80s...

Heifers almost done. 8 left....got up what we've had so far to move to another pasture. Castrated and vaccinated, these are done.....

Out of a 2002 sim cow....She's being sold this year, so one less old blood sim. She decided to give us one more before she goes and marked up the most ever...

JMJ Farms":eszw3l85 said:
What could I expect from a Galloway cow bred to a Hereford bull?

Here is our Galloway Hereford cross. Galloway with a white face and white legs. We have bred her back to angus, galloway, and Black Devon and everytime we still get a belted calf of some sort just different face markings.

Some calves with unexpected colours.

Angus sired heifer.

Heifer out of Angusx cow, sired by Angusx bull.

Limox cow with her bull calf, sired by Angusx bull.

And one calf sired by not very common breed: INRA95. He was out of dairy cow. However kill-out was 58%. Unfortunately he wasn't heifer and we haven't used more that breed's straws.

Latest posts