Short trip

Help Support CattleToday:

@simme do these 2 have any little brothers you might be selling in 2024?!!
Both dams of those 2 bulls had bull calves again last year. Early October calf out of same dam as Kenny's 600U calf:
PXL_20240129_183846401.jpg
PXL_20240205_194736741.jpg

Late October calf out of the same dam as clinchvalley's simangus (3/4 x 1/4) bull: (stretched out in the picture, he looks better in real time).
P1010444.JPG
These calves seem to have a little more frame than the two last year. But I have not measured or weighed them other than birth weights. 83 and 84# birth weights. Both sired by the same bull - MR SR Mic Drop G1534. Mic Drop is sired by the same bull (MR SR 71 RIGHT NOW E1538) that sired Jeanne's "little" bull calf she showed last year. No simangus this year, both purebred.

Both dams of those 2 bulls had bull calves again last year. Early October calf out of same dam as Kenny's 600U calf:
View attachment 40579
View attachment 40580

Late October calf out of the same dam as clinchvalley's simangus (3/4 x 1/4) bull: (stretched out in the picture, he looks better in real time).
View attachment 40581
These calves seem to have a little more frame than the two last year. But I have not measured or weighed them other than birth weights. 83 and 84# birth weights. Both sired by the same bull - MR SR Mic Drop G1534. Mic Drop is sired by the same bull (MR SR 71 RIGHT NOW E1538) that sired Jeanne's "little" bull calf she showed last year. No simangus this year, both purebred.
Looks like you hit another home run! When will you wean them....about April or May? They will be about 16 mos old this time next year. I don't know as much about Simms as some other breeds. What is the recommended age for Simm bulls to start breeding? Do you have these sold already?

Looks like you hit another home run! When will you wean them....about April or May? They will be about 16 mos old this time next year. I don't know as much about Simms as some other breeds. What is the recommended age for Simm bulls to start breeding? Do you have these sold already?
They will probably be weaned in May. Age for breeding and number of cows for simmental bull - no different than most other bos taurus breeds. More than age involved, I think. Not sold yet. Little early to come to any conclusions yet.

They will probably be weaned in May. Age for breeding and number of cows for simmental bull - no different than most other bos taurus breeds. More than age involved, I think. Not sold yet. Little early to come to any conclusions yet.
They can be sold. I need 2 next year. Unless the cows stay so high it doesn't make sense to own any.

Both homo for black, I guess? Will you be wanting to wean them and feed them out for a while before you sell? Or would you want to sell them at weaning in May?

The dam of the 600U calf is homozygous black and homozygous polled. So, the 74 calf will be as well. The dam of the other one is heterozygous black and homozygous polled. So the 75 calf is 50/50 on homo or hetero black until he is dna tested. If anyone wanted to buy them off the farm, I would wean them for a month or so.

The dam of the 600U calf is homozygous black and homozygous polled. So, the 74 calf will be as well. The dam of the other one is heterozygous black and homozygous polled. So the 75 calf is 50/50 on homo or hetero black until he is dna tested. If anyone wanted to buy them off the farm, I would wean them for a month or so.
One customer has Braford and f1 Herf x Brah, and used Angus bulls for this year. I have been suggesting she try black polled Simms for this program. AI isn't a good option for her. 74 would be ideal. And I have a partner that has Brangus x Chi-Ang cows, so it wouldn't matter if the Simm bull he used was hetera. So, if you decided to sell off your farm, they would be available July- August? @kenny thomas , @ClinchValley86 , when will you be getting your first calves off of your bulls?

One customer has Braford and f1 Herf x Brah, and used Angus bulls for this year. I have been suggesting she try black polled Simms for this program. AI isn't a good option for her. 74 would be ideal. And I have a partner that has Brangus x Chi-Ang cows, so it wouldn't matter if the Simm bull he used was hetera. So, if you decided to sell off your farm, they would be available July- August? @kenny thomas , @ClinchValley86 , when will you be getting your first calves off of your bulls?
I won't be turning mine out until May but Brad used his for 3 weeks in December.

I am just an old guy with a few hobby cows that I enjoy watching. My motivation around the cows is mainly the enjoyment of having new calves and watching them develop. I get almost as much enjoyment from those few cows as @MurraysMutts does from his nurse cows and baby calves. Probably without working as hard at it as Murray does.

The 600U bull calf is the third calf from one of my cows. Her second calf was sired by HC Powerdrive, a bull born in Bean Station, TN in 1998. There is a post in 2020 when I used my last straw of powerdrive semen to breed their dam. At that time, @kenny thomas asked "how much if it is a bull calf?". My answer was "Two rifles, two pistols, one metal rooster, and a rebuilt Stihl chainsaw." That one turned out to be a heifer, so I still have her. She is one of the bred heifers that Kenny mentioned and will calve in 5 weeks. I already got most of my reward just from the experience of getting the cow settled to that last 600U straw, lifting his slimy tail at birth to see that it was a bull calf, and getting him weaned. Kenny is an experienced cattle trader, so I just hope he lets me recover the cost of the semen. :) I think it was $20 when it was purchased. That's the story on the cow's last two calves. Her first calf was a bull that sold in the Clemson bull test sale.

Here is the thread with the story of how this calf came to be and the enjoyment that two old men have had with it.

I love this the cattle business is really about the people we meet and the friendships we develop.

And they have learned to walk on rocks and hills.

They can be sold. I need 2 next year. Unless the cows stay so high it doesn't make sense to own any.

I hope you keep some of your Angus cows and turn the 600u bull in with them. When they come, pick out the best one and leave his nuts on.

Kenny tell once more how far you are from Wise. We may end up visiting Wise regularly a couple years from now.

I hope you keep some of your Angus cows and turn the 600u bull in with them. When they come, pick out the best one and leave his nuts on.

Kenny tell once more how far you are from Wise. We may end up visiting Wise regularly a couple years from now.
I am less than an hour from Wise. That was my work area before i retired. You must have a kid going to UVA- Wise.
Let me know. Our stockyard sale is on Saturday.

Last edited:
View attachment 41467
KT600U made it to VA today. Big bull let him know real quick who was boss.View attachment 41468
3/4 Angus, 1/4 Simmy bull i raised. 7 year old and no grain or supplement this winter. Only stockpile grass and hay during the 1 snow we had.
I didn't weigh the 600U bull but the big bull is over 2000lb. 600U is 15 1/2 months old, very tall and long. Probably frame 7. Just what i had hoped for since 2 years ago when i first stopped by Simme and seen his cows.

I didn't weigh the 600U bull but the big bull is over 2000lb. 600U is 15 1/2 months old, very tall and long. Probably frame 7. Just what i had hoped for since 2 years ago when i first stopped by Simme and seen his cows.
I'm glad yall made it home safe and sound.

Ol 69 knows you're the boss!!! 😆

Your homeraised bull is sharp too.

Latest posts