Short trip

Help Support CattleToday:

I really like the top heifer. I have a commercial simangus heifer looks a lot like her that's third stage bred to my oak hollow bull.
That heifer did today what heifers are supposed to do.

P1010400.JPG
P1010401.JPG
She looked uncomfortable this morning at 280 days but grazing with the other cows. I gave her a little pep talk. Had a little discharge at 2pm. Calf cleaned up, nursing and running around at 5:30.

Hoping this one will learn by example. She is at 281 days today.
P1010402.JPG

Next is the shear force heifer at 263 days today. (settled on second service).
P1010407.JPG

Hoping this one will learn by example. She is at 281 days today.
View attachment 34418
And that second heifer did follow the example of the first one. 284 days. Nothing happening at 6pm. Calf up and nursing at 10:30 pm bedtime check. The 3 heifers all AI bred to the same bull. Two heifer calves so far. Both calves up quickly and very active aggressive nursers. I sure don't miss the "dumb" won't nurse long gestation simmental calves from many years ago. Hope these will grow ok.

P1010413.JPG

Surprise! Found that third heifer with a heifer calf this morning. She was AI bred on November 24 synched with the other two heifers and observed in standing heat. Very slow and difficult to get the rod thru the cervix when my daughter bred her. Less than optimum placement. She was standing again 20 days later and was inseminated again. "Obviously" did not settle on that first service since she was back in heat in 20 days? Calf looks full term and would be 285 days from first service. Did she ovulate on that second service? Is this calf 20 days early from second service? Dam of this heifer had a 119# bull calf last year.

PXL_20230906_111226386.jpg

Well this short trip hasnt turned out so well. Got really sick and lots of stomach pain yesterday morning and was admitted into the hospital. Some better today but lots of tests. Still not sure what's wrong. Bad to be sick 600 miles from home.
That's no good. No fun being sick while traveling and even worse to be in the hospital. Hope they get it figured out soon and get you straightened out.

The two bulls headed north today. My work with the bulls is over. I fed them twice a day since weaning - at first light and at dusk. They were getting 10#/day each. I think I will miss seeing my "boys" every day. They were pretty much trouble free. In past years, bulls tended to fight, destroy fences, and decide not to come for breakfast and supper some days. No bad behavior from these two. When @ClinchValley86 picked them up, I did tell him that I was retaining visitation rights and did expect an occasional picture. I hope these bulls do well for kenny and clinchvalley.

Their last picture here:
P1010425.JPG

I've got them on a 4 acre spot right by my house and the road. They found a quiet corner away from the noise and have been there all day. Hoping they found water last night.

When they do find their water, they'll find half of an early 2nd cut square bale, about 10 pounds of feed, and a 200 gallon water tank filled to the brim. Kenny says the hills have them confused.

They were very calm the entire ride back.

You're welcome at my place anytime, @simme. You'll definitely be getting pictures often. 😆

This pic. They've not found food or water yet. They're settling in.

Attachments

• 20230924_101846.jpg
    20230924_101846.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Latest posts