Short Course

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
If anyone will be going to short course this year, we'll be there. We were asked to speak in two different sessions...I am both excited and terrified, and am getting heart palpitations just thinking about it. Two months away seemed a lot longer a month ago! :shock: :cry2:

What's "short course"?
And what are you speaking about?

I feel for you, I used to be that way. Not anymore. I speak for big groups all the time now and it's no big deal. I have been doing it for so long, I go on auto pilot.

Good luck!

Thanks!! I need all the encouragement I can get. :help: When I got out of college, the thing I was most excited about was never having to speak in front of people again. Oops!

BCG, it is a huge, 3 day cattle educational gala with speakers on nearly every topic you could think of. We are speaking on reproduction, with an emphasis on ultrasound, and I might be on a new seedstock breeder panel. They say there's usually around 1400 participants.

Rafter, we've never been, but I hear it's a pretty neat deal. If nothing else, you can't beat Aggie prime rib!

ricebeltrancher":3r9rk5ho said:
Thanks!! I need all the encouragement I can get. :help: When I got out of college, the thing I was most excited about was never having to speak in front of people again. Oops!

BCG, it is a huge, 3 day cattle educational gala with speakers on nearly every topic you could think of. We are speaking on reproduction, with an emphasis on ultrasound, and I might be on a new seedstock breeder panel. They say there's usually around 1400 participants.

Rafter, we've never been, but I hear it's a pretty neat deal. If nothing else, you can't beat Aggie prime rib!
Gig'em buddy...you got it !!!!!

It sounds exciting! Wish that I could go. But it is a bit far for me. :mrgreen:

Good luck! It should be fun. When you know your stuff, (as you do) it will come easy. Picture your audience naked. :)

branguscowgirl":282cwu1k said:
It sounds exciting! Wish that I could go. But it is a bit far for me. :mrgreen:

Good luck! It should be fun. When you know your stuff, (as you do) it will come easy. Picture your audience naked. :)

Regarding this ". . . picture your audience naked" helpful hint: that is an old suggestion which works to a certain extent because it gets your mind off of your nervousness. Nervousness is a very acceptable emotion and should be welcomed before addressing an audience because it is an indication that you are serious about what you are about to do. Usually within the first ten words or so your nervousness will morph into self-confidence, and your brain will allow you to do what you really can do - IF you know your material and subject matter.

I have spoken to thousands of people (literally), and I would suggest that you tell yourself - as you observe your audience - that if they knew as much about your subject matter as YOU do, THEY would be speaking instead of you. Even if some in the audience DO know as much or more than you do about your subject, they don't know how you are going to approach the significant details of the subject matter. So take a deep breath (absolutely, as it oxygenates your Circulatory System, your brain cells, and your lung function) and "Lay it on 'em!"

And SMILE! That will make your audience wonder what you have in mind that is interesting and they will pay attention to you. It is pretty disconcerting if you see your audience playing "Rocks, Paper, and Scissors"! And if they do - - - just stop talking, - - - pause for about eight seconds, and then ask the "talkers - or players", if they agree or disagree with your last statement! They will possibly stammer something like "Uh, I didn't hear uh,", what you said?" - at which point you can say "Perhaps that is because you were talking instead of listening!" That usually makes EVERYBODY shut up and listen. But remember - KEEP SMILING - at all times!

You will do FINE!

DOC HARRIS

Congratulations on being asked to speak. I have attended this program numerous times and would recommend it to any producer whether they have been in he cattle business a short time or a life time.

Here is a link to the TAMU Beef Short Course: http://beefcattleshortcourse.com/ Look over the schedule and see the variety of topics

Thanks so much everyone!! And thanks for all of the tips, Doc! My husband will be doing it with me...he likes that kind of stuff. Why, I have no idea, but I wouldn't be able to do it without him! We're ultrasounding all of our heifers and registered cattle tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a lot of screen shots and video to put in the presentation. If nothing else, the content should be interesting!

ricebeltrancher":cur3zuv1 said:
If anyone will be going to short course this year, we'll be there. We were asked to speak in two different sessions...I am both excited and terrified, and am getting heart palpitations just thinking about it. Two months away seemed a lot longer a month ago! :shock: :cry2:

Plan on being there might just have to ask some questions now.

My dad took the course and thought it was very informative. I know I learned some things from the couple of times I came out to your place, yall are going to knockit out of the park!

Register at following web page. (scroll to bottom and enter email addy then click "continue" :
https://events.tamu.edu/EMSRegics/BeefC ... Course2015

DATES: The 61st Annual Beef Cattle Short Course begins at 8:00 am on Monday, August 3rd, and ends at noon on Wednesday, August 5th.

LOCATION: Registration check-in will be on the 1st floor of Rudder Tower on Joe Routt Boulevard. Registration will begin at 6:00 am with the first general session at 8:00am on Monday, August 3rd. You may pick up your badge and materials early on Sunday, August 2nd, between 1-5pm. if you wish to do so.

REGISTRATION FEE: The Short Course fee of $180 per person includes the following: 3 daily breakfasts, Monday and Tuesday lunch, 1 Prime Rib Dinner Monday, 1 proceedings, trade show admittance, refreshments and access to campus shuttle service. There is no need to purchase additional tickets for any of those events since they are included with your registration. The Short Course fee will be $220 after July 30th and for onsite registration.

PARKING PERMITS: The three day parking pass for Lot 61 (MSC), Lot 74 (Rosenthal), Lot 36 (Veterinary School), and Lot 63 (Pearce Pavilion) can be purchased for a flat event rate of $15 at https://transport.tamu.edu/Account/Conf ... rmits.aspx or onsite for $20.

Congrats! It will get easier and easier every time you do it! Assuming that you will be doing it again. :mrgreen:

It was a pleasure to get to meet you after your presentation. For those that didn't get to the TAMU Shortcourse, Mr. and Mrs. Ricebeltrancher were members of a panel discussion made up of young purebred breeders. They did an excellent job.

Latest posts