Short trip

Help Support CattleToday:

Thought I would post some pictures to show that these bulls really exist. Kenny mentioned to me almost 2 years ago that he would like to have a 600U son. Circle S Leachman 600U is a black simmental bull born in 1986. He would be 37 years old now. I told him I had one straw of semen and would try for a bull calf for him. And in spite of the odds, that 83# bw bull calf was born November 3, 2022 and weaned this spring at 769# (205 adjusted). There were only three 600U calves registered in the US in 2022 and this one has by far the best epds and performance of those 3.

Here is the 600U sired calf.

P1010307.JPG
P1010319.JPG
I sent monthly pictures to Kenny of his bull and sometimes included pictures of another bull calf I liked. Kenny has many friends and brought @ClinchValley86 with him to look at the other bull.
Here is that other bull calf born October 23, 2022. He is 3/4 simmental 1/4 angus and gentle as a puppy and pretty thick. Son of TJ Franchise.
P1010308.JPG
And here are the pair of bulls.
P1010320.JPG
They will be headed to Virginia and Tennessee in September.

Thought I would post some pictures to show that these bulls really exist. Kenny mentioned to me almost 2 years ago that he would like to have a 600U son. Circle S Leachman 600U is a black simmental bull born in 1986. He would be 37 years old now. I told him I had one straw of semen and would try for a bull calf for him. And in spite of the odds, that 83# bw bull calf was born November 3, 2022 and weaned this spring at 769# (205 adjusted). There were only three 600U calves registered in the US in 2022 and this one has by far the best epds and performance of those 3.

View attachment 32879
View attachment 32880
I sent monthly pictures to Kenny of his bull and sometimes included pictures of another bull calf I liked. Kenny has many friends and brought @ClinchValley86 with him to look at the other bull.
Here is that other bull calf born October 23, 2022. He is 3/4 simmental 1/4 angus and gentle as a puppy and pretty thick. Son of TJ Franchise.
View attachment 32881
View attachment 32882
I need to sneak the 2nd bull on into Virginia. I like his thickness.

Sounds like the lead up to price negotiations, @kenny thomas is going to have to bring the check book 😁
I am just an old guy with a few hobby cows that I enjoy watching. My motivation around the cows is mainly the enjoyment of having new calves and watching them develop. I get almost as much enjoyment from those few cows as @MurraysMutts does from his nurse cows and baby calves. Probably without working as hard at it as Murray does.

The 600U bull calf is the third calf from one of my cows. Her second calf was sired by HC Powerdrive, a bull born in Bean Station, TN in 1998. There is a post in 2020 when I used my last straw of powerdrive semen to breed their dam. At that time, @kenny thomas asked "how much if it is a bull calf?". My answer was "Two rifles, two pistols, one metal rooster, and a rebuilt Stihl chainsaw." That one turned out to be a heifer, so I still have her. She is one of the bred heifers that Kenny mentioned and will calve in 5 weeks. I already got most of my reward just from the experience of getting the cow settled to that last 600U straw, lifting his slimy tail at birth to see that it was a bull calf, and getting him weaned. Kenny is an experienced cattle trader, so I just hope he lets me recover the cost of the semen. :) I think it was $20 when it was purchased. That's the story on the cow's last two calves. Her first calf was a bull that sold in the Clemson bull test sale.

Here is the thread with the story of how this calf came to be and the enjoyment that two old men have had with it.

View attachment 32879
View attachment 32880
View attachment 32881
View attachment 32882

They are nice.

Got some pictures today of a couple of those bred heifers. Kenny saw these heifers as calves before they were weaned and developed a liking for them. These two are due on September 5th and 6th when they will be just a little shy of 23 months old. I really like the mass and volume of these heifers.

This one is 1/2 simm and 1/2 angus. She is a half sister to the dam of the 600U bull that Kenny is getting. She was not very impressive as a young calf. Sort of frail and flat. At about 4 months old, her growth took off and she developed into a nice calf and heifer.
64b.jpg

This one is purebred simmental out of the dam of the 600u bull calf, so 1/2 sister to Kenny's bull.
63a.jpg

These heifers got a little commodity feed for about 6 weeks prior to breeding and 6 weeks after. No more feed after that - just fescue pasture.

Picture today of the bull calf that @ClinchValley86 is getting. 3/4 simm and 1/4 angus. 10 months old.
67a.jpg

Got some pictures today of a couple of those bred heifers. Kenny saw these heifers as calves before they were weaned and developed a liking for them. These two are due on September 5th and 6th when they will be just a little shy of 23 months old. I really like the mass and volume of these heifers.

This one is 1/2 simm and 1/2 angus. She is a half sister to the dam of the 600U bull that Kenny is getting. She was not very impressive as a young calf. Sort of frail and flat. At about 4 months old, her growth took off and she developed into a nice calf and heifer.
View attachment 34188

This one is purebred simmental out of the dam of the 600u bull calf, so 1/2 sister to Kenny's bull.
View attachment 34189

These heifers got a little commodity feed for about 6 weeks prior to breeding and 6 weeks after. No more feed after that - just fescue pasture.

Picture today of the bull calf that @ClinchValley86 is getting. 3/4 simm and 1/4 angus. 10 months old.
View attachment 34190
I really like the top heifer. I have a commercial simangus heifer looks a lot like her that's third stage bred to my oak hollow bull.

Going that route around lunch time, a person should stop at Fat Buddies BBQ in Franklin, NC. If earlier, the Dillard House in Dillard, GA for the expensive breakfast buffet.
I am late to this thread, but just an fyi, there is a Fat Buddies in Waynesville, NC also. Kenny could eat breakfast in Dillard and then take his time and have lunch in Waynesville. ;)

The two pictured are homo black. The third heifer is sired by Hooks Shear Force who is hetero black. I did not test her for color. She could be hetero black and could have a red calf. The two pictured will have hetero black calves.
If I recall, the Hooks Shear Force semen is now in getting to be in pretty short supply, is that correct?

If I recall, the Hooks Shear Force semen is now in getting to be in pretty short supply, is that correct?
Yes, he was born in 2000. Half brother to the very popular at the time Dream On bull. Semen is still listed on the Hook Farm website at $125/straw with very limited supply. But that website may not be updated any more. I think I have a couple of straws. Shear force appears in a lot of pedigrees. Calving ease, low bw, high milk, docility, stayability, carcass traits are the strengths. Growth is not. A maternal bull. Sort of the opposite of the Dream on bull in some ways. Dream on sired a bunch of show calves during the early 2000's and saw a lot more use, I think. Dream on made a LOT of money for ABS and the owners. ABS had him and their most popular angus bull at the time in an air conditioned barn with daily exercise on the grass. Most bulls at an AI stud don't have such nice housing. Of those 2 half brothers, the one that had the most positive influence long term on the breed - might be shear force. There is probably still a good bit of semen out there - a few straws here and there in semen tanks over the country.

Last edited:

Latest posts