Sexed semen/New Design 878

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
On another thread, Frankie mentioned that ABS is selling sexed semen on New Design 878. I have a couple of questions. One, can semen be sexed to produce either bulls or heifers, or just one or the other? (I realize it wouldn't be 100% either way.)

Two, (mainly for you Angus breeders, but anyone can chime in) which would you prefer out of this particular bull, and why? Just curious.

VanC,

If I remember right they sex the semen male or female and ;you buy the sex you want. They do have some degree of error though.

Bobg

VanC":duxmu4vn said:
On another thread, Frankie mentioned that ABS is selling sexed semen on New Design 878. I have a couple of questions. One, can semen be sexed to produce either bulls or heifers, or just one or the other? (I realize it wouldn't be 100% either way.)

Two, (mainly for you Angus breeders, but anyone can chime in) which would you prefer out of this particular bull, and why? Just curious.

ABS is offering it sexed for both genders. It's also available on In Focus. The ad in the JAN Angus Journal is promoting it for females. 878 is one of the top Pathfinder bulls in the breeed and that is based on how many daughters reach Pathfinder status. Regular semen - $20; sexed $50.

I don't have any special preference for either gender out of 878. Our experience has been solid cattle, nothing spectacular, but no train wrecks either.

Frankie, What is your general opinion of 878 females? We have thought of trying some sexed semen from 878, as we are building our herd. My father really likes 878. I prefer the Precision line and of course 004.
Bill

3G-A-farm":33zjpy3p said:
Frankie, What is your general opinion of 878 females? We have thought of trying some sexed semen from 878, as we are building our herd. My father really likes 878. I prefer the Precision line and of course 004.
Bill

Generally, I like 878 cows. They might be a bit moderate framed. But they seem to be good mommas and have good dispositions, at least IMO.

VanC":1zzseu0q said:

You buy the sex you want.

Just need to tell you that sexed semen is weaker than nonsexed. Bigger risk of falure.

I haven't bought any 878 sexed semen, but did just purchase a 878 son and a 878 grandson for bulls. I can't wait to see what kinda calves we get out of em. they are two awesome lookin yearlin bulls.

Sexed semen is low on conception - and is only recommended to be used on "HEIFERS grown out well on good management with natural heats" - not to be used for flushing or syncronizing or on COWS.
Also, ABS requires you to go thru an internet "schooling"?? before they will sell it to you :shock:
They claim it is 20% less conception if you follow all these guidelines!!! :shock:
No thank you!!!
My "collector" is using a different method for sexing the semen & is getting equal conception - still experimental.
Plan on trying to get some heifer semen on Macho this winter.

Latest posts