Semen tank troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

topstock

Reaction score
What type of semen tank do you have and do you like it? I never thought that there was a difference in tanks. We had an MVE and thought we needed to upgrade. Well apparently I didn't do my homework. I buy most of my semen from one particular (popular) distributor, so of course I ordered a tank from them and I hate it. I have to refrain from saying a lit of bad words everytime I use it. Once you get s canister out you can NOT get it to go back no matter how you try and it's quite a frustrating process. The new tank is a Worthington 13 out of 10 do NOT recommend. Anyone else have this problem? Im going to refill my old tank and sell this new one.

I never thought that there was a difference in tanks. I didn't do my homework.... I ordered a tank from them and I hate it. I have to refrain from saying a lit of bad words every time I use it. Once you get canister out you can NOT get it to go back no matter how you try and it's quite a frustrating process. I'm going to.... sell this new one.
You might need to work on your sales pitch. :)

p.s.
We have had MVE for many years with no issues.

What type of semen tank do you have and do you like it? I never thought that there was a difference in tanks. We had an MVE and thought we needed to upgrade. Well apparently I didn't do my homework. I buy most of my semen from one particular (popular) distributor, so of course I ordered a tank from them and I hate it. I have to refrain from saying a lit of bad words everytime I use it. Once you get s canister out you can NOT get it to go back no matter how you try and it's quite a frustrating process. The new tank is a Worthington 13 out of 10 do NOT recommend. Anyone else have this problem? Im going to refill my old tank and sell this new one.
I'd try to return it to those selling the tank, or exchange it for a different type. They probably know the issues with their tanks and foisted one off on you while they have better options. You selling it would just perpetuate the misery.

I'd try to return it to those selling the tank, or exchange it for a different type. They probably know the issues with their tanks and foisted one off on you while they have better options. You selling it would just perpetuate the misery.
Problem is I've had it since ladt summer. Im not dure they'd take it back. I would've returned it in a heartbeat but other family members thought it was just me. Well now they've decided this tank is 🤬

I never take canisters out. Merely raise to the lower neck to then raise a cane and get a straw or amp. You do have to swing them to the outside to get the top to drop in the slot.

Have you at least talked to your distributor about the problem? Most reputable distributors will not sell a known dissatisfactory product to a repeat costumer. Does your "popular Distibutor" have a local rep that can assist in either diagnosing the problem or help get tank exchanged?

If he takes a canister completely out of the tank in order to remove a straw, he has bigger problems than the design of the semen tank. I would expect that semen quality would decline quickly that way. I assume he was referring to taking a canister "out" of the indexing spider in the bottom of the tank so that it can be centered in the tank and raised up enough to lift a cane and remove a straw. I tilt the canister handle up top away from the position it is headed to. This puts an angle on the canister which raises the outside bottom edge up so that it can slide over the edge of that spider. Then move the top handle into its slot on the top - locking it into position. Some old timers permanently remove an empty canister from the tank to give a little more working room for moving the canisters, but you obviously lose storage capacity with that.

I never take canisters out. Merely raise to the lower neck to then raise a cane and get a straw or amp. You do have to swing them to the outside to get the top to drop in the slot.
Thats what I do. I raise the canister to within 2-3 inches from the too but you cant get it settled back down in its place and therefore you can't get at any other semen.

It was unclear but you might be correct. You can see the original post or he can clarify.

"Once you get s canister out you can NOT get it to go back no matter how you try and it's quite a frustrating process."
No! I dont take them out! Just to get them up far enough to pick out a straw. Im not new at this. Been breeding AI for 30+ years. Thats why this tank frustrates me so bad.

Thats what I do. I raise the canister to within 2-3 inches from the too but you cant get it settled back down in its place and therefore you can't get at any other semen.
The neck is tight but I swing the canister back towards the outside wall when I return it to the normal position and there is an effort needed to raise them up to get the semen but not a real big issue.