Seventh horse dies at Churchill Downs

Help Support CattleToday:

Early odds on the Preakness 1 3/16 miles :
2 Phils 2nd in derby not entered, Forte status currently unknown - probably not

Mage 3-1 (Kentucky Derby Winner) 1 1/4 miles
First Mission 5-1
Blazing Sevens 12-1
Confidence Game 12-1 (10th in Kentucky Derby, wise-guys are saying forget about it)
Disarm 12 -1 (4th in the Kentucky Derby)
Henry Q 12-1
Perform 15-1
Red Route One 16-1 (Is my longshot with a chance, April 22nd 10 lengths back won by a nose at Oaklawn 1 1/8 miles)
Red Route One compared to Mage ran 1/8 mile less and is fresher with 14 days more between races. I expect him to hit
the board and as of now a Mage - First Mission - Red Route One box interests me, but that can change in the paddock.
National Treasure 18-1
Instant Coffee 20-1
Chase The Chaos 33-1
II Miracolo 50-1

Last edited:
Is there any difference between that and cattle producers breeding heifers so young because they think they are losing money if she is not bred?
Breeding to calf at 2 years old seems to be good for us.. we tried breeding to calf at 3 years old, didn't have less problems, cows didn't produce better or longer.. and if they screwed up you had so much into them you kinda had to give them another chance.

Spectacular Bid -1979 was a special horse - he holds the Kentucky Derby record 2:02.40 and won the Preakness, he injured his foot before the Belmont, he stepped on a safety pin the morning of the race. But the owners chose to run him just the same and he finished 3rd. The pin was embedded in his foot, it became infected and was later surgically removed. 26 wins in 30 races. As four yr old in 1980 in final year of racing was 9-0 setting 5 track records and won American Horse of The Year. Then the colt purchased for 37,000 was syndicated for 22 million and retired to stud. Spectacular Bid 1976-2003 27 yrs 4 m

Last edited:
An 8th horse died at Churchill Downs yesterday. Rio Moon a 3 year old colt broke his left foreleg crossing the finish line
Sunday afternoon at Churchill Downs and was 'put down.' Rio Moon 0-6 career earnings $11,621

Early odds on the Preakness 1 3/16 miles :
2 Phils 2nd in derby not entered, Forte status currently unknown - probably not

Mage 3-1 (Kentucky Derby Winner) 1 1/4 miles
First Mission 5-1
Blazing Sevens 12-1
Confidence Game 12-1 (10th in Kentucky Derby, wise-guys are saying forget about it)
Disarm 12 -1 (4th in the Kentucky Derby)
Henry Q 12-1
Perform 15-1
Red Route One 16-1 (Is my longshot with a chance, April 22nd 10 lengths back won by a nose at Oaklawn 1 1/8 miles)
Red Route One compared to Mage ran 1/8 mile less and is fresher with 14 days more between races. I expect him to hit
the board and as of now a Mage - First Mission - Red Route One box interests me, but that can change in the paddock.
National Treasure 18-1
Instant Coffee 20-1
Chase The Chaos 33-1
II Miracolo 50-1
Update:
Blazing Sevens: Chad Brown 44 trainer 1st win November 2007 career wins 1800
Blazing Sevens 3rd in Blue Grass Stakes 1 1/8 miles April 8 and had enough qualifying points for the Kentucky Derby
Chad Brown chose to skip the Kentucky Derby and target the Preakness 1 3/16 miles
Brown has won the Preakness twice 2017 Cloud Computing 2022 Early Voting. What's interesting is both times his
horses had enough qualifying points for the Derby, but Brown chose to skip the Derby and target the Preakness.
Blazing Sevens had an easy breezy workout Sunday at Belmont 5 furlongs 1:00 (4 furlongs = 1/2 mile)
and has to be considered a serious threat, but 7 weeks between races might be too long of a rest for him to be in top form

5 horses have withdrawn and here are the post positions for the 8 horse field with current revised odds

1 National Tresure 4-1 trainer Bob Baffert 6 derby wins 7 Preakness wins 3 Belmont wins
2 Chase the Chaos 50-1
3 Mage 2-1 the only Kentucky Derby horse in the race
4 Coffeewithchris 20-1
5 Red Route One 10-1
6 Perform 15-1
7 Blazing Sevens 6-1 Chad Brown 0 derby wins 2 Preakness wins 0 Belmont wins
8 First Mission 3-1 trainer Brad Cox 1 Derby win 0 Preakness wins 1 Belmont win

Hard not to root for Mage with 7 fresh horses ganging up on him to try and prevent his Triple Crown bid early.

Last edited:
Update:
Blazing Sevens: Chad Brown 44 trainer 1st win November 2007 career wins 1800
Blazing Sevens 3rd in Blue Grass Stakes 1 1/8 miles April 8 and had enough qualifying points for the Kentucky Derby
Chad Brown chose to skip the Kentucky Derby and target the Preakness 1 3/16 miles
Brown has won the Preakness twice 2017 Cloud Computing 2022 Early Voting. What's interesting is both times his
horses had enough qualifying points for the Derby, but Brown chose to skip the Derby and target the Preakness.
Blazing Sevens had an easy breezy workout Sunday at Belmont 5 furlongs 1:00 (4 furlongs = 1/2 mile)
and has to be considered a serious threat, but 7 weeks between races might be too long of a rest for him to be in top form

5 horses have withdrawn and here are the post positions for the 8 horse field with current revised odds

1 National Tresure 4-1 trainer Bob Baffert 6 derby wins 7 Preakness wins 3 Belmont wins
2 Chase the Chaos 50-1
3 Mage 2-1 the only Kentucky Derby horse in the race
4 Coffeewithchris 20-1
5 Red Route One 10-1
6 Perform 15-1
7 Blazing Sevens 6-1 Chad Brown 0 derby wins 2 Preakness wins 0 Belmont wins
8 First Mission 3-1 trainer Brad Cox 1 Derby win 0 Preakness wins 1 Belmont win

Hard not to root for Mage with 7 fresh horses ganging up on him to try and prevent his Triple Crown bid early.
Have other Derby runners been scratched or was Mage the only one entered to begin with? It seems pretty odd that only one horse from the Derby is entered.

Have other Derby runners been scratched or was Mage the only one entered to begin with? It seems pretty odd that only one horse from the Derby is entered.
2 withdrew... possibly targeting the Belmont. Any horse that wins the Triple Crown really has to earn it.
IF Mage doesn't win I expect he'll skip the Belmont as it's been proven to be a grueling schedule to run in all three.

With 8 deaths the racing comission might be encouraging owners and trainers to be prudent in their scheduling.
The last thing they need is to have another tragedy in the national spotlight on the 2nd and 3rd most publicized race days.

Importance of post position in the Preakness matters a lot less with only 8 horses in the race.
History of Wins by post position in the Preakness, 1-2-3 each has won 10% of the races
4 12%
5 11%
6 14%
7 12%
8 9%
post 10+ each less than 2%
The shorter the race the more it matters to get a clean fast start out of the gate.
Post 1 has the shortest route, but if not first out of the gate they have to contend with the rail on 1 side which spooks some horses and horses on the other side pressuring them trying to cut them off.

I expect Mage will be the big emotional favorite on race day, dropping his odds and making him a sucker bet.

To me the best value bets on race day will be 5 Red Route One and 8 First Mission (depending on your adversity to risk)
RR One has the closing kick, but needs a better ride from his jockey. He can't get himself pinned 10 lengths off the lead
again and expect to catch this field in the home stretch. #3 Mage and First Mission are no slouches and can kick it too.

The Baffert and Brown horses #1 and #7 are serious threats too, but when betting I try to look for best value.
94% of the time I'll observe the horses in the post parade before placing a bet.

Last edited:
Importance of post position in the Preakness matters a lot less with only 8 horses in the race.
History of Wins by post position in the Preakness, 1-2-3 each has won 10% of the races
4 12%
5 11%
6 14%
7 12%
8 9%
The shorter the race the more it matters to get a clean fast start out of the gate.
Post 1 has the shortest route, but if not first out of the gate they have to contend with the rail on 1 side which spooks some horses and horses on the other side pressuring them trying to cut them off.

I expect Mage will be the big emotional favorite on race day, dropping his odds and making him a sucker bet.

To me the best value bets on race day will be 5 Red Route One and 8 First Mission (depending on your adversity to risk)
RR One has the closing kick, but needs a better ride from his jockey. He can't get himself pinned 10 lengths off the lead
again and expect to catch this field in the home stretch. #3 Mage and First Mission are no slouches and can kick it too.

The Baffert and Brown horses #1 and #7 are serious threats too, but when betting I try to look for best value.
94% of the time I'll observe the horses in the post parade before placing a bet.
My best advice is to view the horses in the parade too. I pick horses on how they move and muscle mass, even more than their history. And I never bet a horse to win, but I've bet as many as three horses to show. The guys at the window shake their heads and snicker... but it doesn't matter to me when I pick up my money.

4 12%
5 11%
6 14%
7 12%
8 9%

How long is your home straight there?

Ken

I was a pony girl on the track when I was 18. My boss (age 70) asked me to marry him so I quit. IMO they have bred TBs to be so incredibly athletic and hot to run. Big bodies muscular bodies on ballerina ankles.
What?!? you don't believe in the marriage?
p.s.
To quote Cher: Oh, I believe in the institution of marriage. But who wants to live in an institution?

Last edited:
#8 First Mission has been scratched - unspecified rear leg injury

Only a 7 horse Preakness field now, the smallest since 1986 which also had 7 and was won by #1 Snow Chief
Snow Chief was the Kentucky Derby favorite, but finished 11th of 16 in K.D. won by Ferdinand ridden by Billy Shoemaker
Ferdinand 1983-2002 Kentucky Derby winner, 2nd in the Preakness 1983-2002 lifetime race earnings 3.77 million entered stud service Claiborne Farms 1989 sold to Japan stud 1994 six breeding seasons, but fell out of favor covering only 10 mares in 2000. Sold to a horse dealer in 2001 and sent to slaughter, most likely for pet food, date unknown, but his papers were annulled in 2002.

#7 Blazing Sevens in a 7 horse field - if I can get 7-1 gotta do it :)

edited to correct typo: Ferdinand's papers were canceled in 2002 not 2022

Last edited:
Ferdinand 1983-2002 2nd in the Preakness 1983-2002 lifetime race earnings 3.77 million entered stud service Claiborne Farms 1989 sold to Japan stud 1994 six breeding seasons, but fell out of favor covering only 10 mares in 2000. Sold to a horse dealer
in 2001 and sent to slaughter, most likely for pet food, date unknown, but his papers were annulled in 2022.

:)
Damn... I'd'a bought him for more than meat prices no matter what he was like. Even without papers. What a shame...

Damn... I'd' a bought him for more than meat prices no matter what he was like. Even without papers. What a shame...
News of Ferdinand being sold for slaughter got animal rights activist up in arms, massive fund raising for lobbying and one
of the root causes of horse slaughter being banned several years later in the USA.

Latest posts