Seller wants more money

Help Support CattleToday:

RiverHills":27gsijzg said:
Jackson you probably feel bad about everything.
What does he have to feel bad about? Misunderstanding or not, once money and goods are exchanged, most people would assume the deal is done. Doesn't seem like it's worth ruining a relationship over, but Jackson was in no way wrong.

M.Magis":6sy5j0o8 said:
RiverHills":6sy5j0o8 said:
Jackson you probably feel bad about everything.
What does he have to feel bad about? Misunderstanding or not, once money and good are exchanged, most people would assume the deal is done. Doesn't seem like it's worth ruining a relationship over, but Jackson was in no way wrong.

Agreed. The deal was done. This is why putting off calling made it worse. I still don't understand the deal. He should have known what they were bringing before he priced them. If he was haggling with you over the price then that was the set price. If he wanted to price them based on market then he should have said that and not haggled.

im still wondering what the actual prices were at the sale or if somebody just threw a number out after half watching and listening to the sale.

tja477t":1s1buh0f said:
im still wondering what the actual prices were at the sale or if somebody just threw a number out after half watching and listening to the sale.

Me too. I'm also wondering what these heifers look like?!

midTN_Brangusman":2y9u4qfc said:
That being the case I would pay the man the 150 and go on about my business.

Why? The guy took the money. Jackson has the calves. Obviously he's having seller's remorse after 'his buddy' told him got taken. Sounds like the other guy is stirring the pot, and may possibly have ulterior motives. Who knows. This is an anonymous board where we don't know the other half of the story. What we do know, though, is that he sold the calves, took the money, the cattle exchanged hands and now the guy wants more money. Well, bully for him. He lost one. He got hosed in his opinion. Taken to the cleaners. Etc, etc. That's business.

Bestoutwest":3t0lzwyr said:
midTN_Brangusman":3t0lzwyr said:

Why? The guy took the money. Jackson has the calves. Obviously he's having seller's remorse after 'his buddy' told him got taken. Sounds like the other guy is stirring the pot, and may possibly have ulterior motives. Who knows. This is an anonymous board where we don't know the other half of the story. What we do know, though, is that he sold the calves, took the money, the cattle exchanged hands and now the guy wants more money. Well, bully for him. He lost one. He got hosed in his opinion. Taken to the cleaners. Etc, etc. That's business.

Because the man was selling them for what he thought they would bring at the sale, Jackson priced them for what he thought was a good price for him, that's two different things. Now that this information has come out in the story I don't blame the man for asking for the additional 150. That said I am with the others, would love to hear what he paid and what the heifers look like.

You've been dragging us along this far Jackson, why not post some pics of these girls and give us some numbers!

I sell at those 2 barns. If "woods" cows are what I call woods cows. 150 below average barn price is not uncommon.

What price was the seller looking at, low, average, or the high?

Probably a good lesson learned for both parties involved it sounds like. Seller needs to set a price and stick to it, once money and the cattle has exchanged hands that's a done deal in most people's book. Buyer needs to be sure the price is set and agreed upon before writing the check, always have some kind of paper trail either written sale agreement or receipt of payment and keep a copy of the cashed check when the seller cashes it in and that is all the proof you need of a done deal.

This whole "priced them for what he thought he could get for them at the sale barn" explanation still seems a little strange. If you have a good idea what they weigh then take the market price times weight and set your price. Sale barn prices are likely going to change from sale to sale and vary with the quality of the animals so if he's selling them as breeding stock in a private treaty manner just set a price per head or as a group and don't complicate it any more than it needs to be. Also have to factor in the sale barn is going to take their cut of commission off of the sale too along with his time and costs associated with hauling them to the sale barn. So factor that in plus the risk you take with what they will bring at the sale barn what you paid for them may be what he actually netted at the sale barn after you take those costs into consideration too if he even got the price his buddy said he could have. Like several have said we don't know every detail about both sides of this story nor the price and the type of heifers bought here so there is a lot to be considered.

That being said, if I felt someone was just trying to get some more money out of me after what I feel was an agreed upon and completed sale I wouldn't give them another penny but if you feel compelled to do something because maybe you both are at fault on not making the sale terms clear then maybe propose to meet him halfway at $75 and tell him next time you do business (that is if you decide to again) we're going to put the terms of the sale in writing and once you cash my check this is not going to ever happen again. I guess as a seller if I made a mistake I would just own up to it and eat the loss because I would rather have you come back again and buy something than upset you and risk never getting your business again in the future.

SPH":3uww08tw said:
Probably a good lesson learned for both parties involved it sounds like. Seller needs to set a price and stick to it, once money and the cattle has exchanged hands that's a done deal in most people's book. Buyer needs to be sure the price is set and agreed upon before writing the check, always have some kind of paper trail either written sale agreement or receipt of payment and keep a copy of the cashed check when the seller cashes it in and that is all the proof you need of a done deal.

This whole "priced them for what he thought he could get for them at the sale barn" explanation still seems a little strange. If you have a good idea what they weigh then take the market price times weight and set your price. Sale barn prices are likely going to change from sale to sale and vary with the quality of the animals so if he's selling them as breeding stock in a private treaty manner just set a price per head or as a group and don't complicate it any more than it needs to be. Also have to factor in the sale barn is going to take their cut of commission off of the sale too along with his time and costs associated with hauling them to the sale barn. So factor that in plus the risk you take with what they will bring at the sale barn what you paid for them may be what he actually netted at the sale barn after you take those costs into consideration too if he even got the price his buddy said he could have. Like several have said we don't know every detail about both sides of this story nor the price and the type of heifers bought here so there is a lot to be considered.

That being said, if I felt someone was just trying to get some more money out of me after what I feel was an agreed upon and completed sale I wouldn't give them another penny but if you feel compelled to do something because maybe you both are at fault on not making the sale terms clear then maybe propose to meet him halfway at $75 and tell him next time you do business (that is if you decide to again) we're going to put the terms of the sale in writing and once you cash my check this is not going to ever happen again. I guess as a seller if I made a mistake I would just own up to it and eat the loss because I would rather have you come back again and buy something than upset you and risk never getting your business again in the future.

:clap:

midTN_Brangusman":2vg59wnl said:
Bestoutwest":2vg59wnl said:
midTN_Brangusman":2vg59wnl said:

Because the man was selling them for what he thought they would bring at the sale,Jackson priced them for what he thought was a good price for him, that's two different things. Now that this information has come out in the story I don't blame the man for asking for the additional 150. That said I am with the others, would love to hear what he paid and what the heifers look like.

You've been dragging us along this far Jackson, why not post some pics of these girls and give us some numbers!

I don't fault Jackson for offering what would be a good buy for him. Jackson agreed to go up once. And the seller accepted. It is a done deal. Unless Jackson held a gun to his head then he made an adult decision that he later decided was bad because of some information a pot stirring buddy told him. Likely this buddy is no cowman and has no clue about differences in quality. I paid more than market value for some I bought this year but it was my decision and not that I was forced by the seller to pay more. In fact I gave one seller a little more than he priced them at. In this case I would never give him another penny.

One thing that stands out to me is when he picked them up and paid for them, why didn't the guy speak up then? Maybe they were not paid for then. Been times I wish I had priced something higher, but hard to try and go up on someone.

Tell him that his friend lied and you over paid for the heifers, that you want him to give you $150 back.
See how he likes that.

or

Tell him you found better heifers at a better price and you want him to come get the heifers and return your full amount paid.

I didn't read all the pages of this so it might be covered already.
Two of three things would happen.
1-I'd say no, you priced and I paid. That's the deal.
2-I'd say bring what I paid you and pick them up and take them to the barn where they are worth more.
3- This would happen for sure. No matter how nice his cattle are that would be the last deal I even considered with him.

Now on another note I think you said he's older, is he having some sort of mental problems? If so disregard all the above and see what you can do to help. And give him the 150, least that's out of his mind.

Jackson":3m3ye1z6 said:
I talked to him. I guess we were not on the same page as to how we were to come to a selling price. According to him the price we were bargaining was to be a price that was fair to what heifers were bringing at the sale. I was coming up with my own price, a good price and if he took it great, if I wanted sale barn prices I would go to the sale barn. But I guess I can see kinda where he is coming from. I saved him a trip to the sale because that is where he was taking them soon enough, so he wanted to get what he could of got at the sale, minus the cost to take them. When he found out they were bringing more than he thought, well that's when he called to get more money. He said do whatever I thought was right and we left it at that.
I'm going against the grain here guys, but there's two sides to every story and we have only heard one. Jackson you have been asked numerous times what you paid for the heifers (and a picture) and you still haven't said! Did you pay 1/4 of market price? Do you know what market price is? Did you take advantage of an old man (a friend that has helped you out getting into cattle)? Kinda hard to give any advice when you don't know the facts.

If I was buying from someone I didn't know, like off Craigslist, got a sweet deal on them and then he called back up asking me to pay an additional $150, I would definitely tell him to pound sand. For some reason I don't think that's the case here...

Bad deal if you already have them, not sure what the answer is depends on how well you know him,I sure wouldn't buy anymore. If they are at his place and no money has changed hands, I would leave it like that.

Latest posts