SAV Net Worth 4200 (Angus)

Help Support CattleToday:

Im not fighting. Im just making a point. In other words a true statement.

Anybody with half a brain knows you have to supplement cows. Any REAL seedstock producer in the nation would be the laughing stock if all his animals weaned at 400 pounds and with all the other expenses the average commercial breeder would go broke weaning 400 pound calves. Anyone that received a sale catalog in the mail on a bull sale and the bulls all had 400 pound weaning weights would be more likely to toss it in the trash and have a good laugh than get all fired up about attending the sale. Thats what I would do. Sometimes crazy posts in here deserve a crazy response.

Circle H Ranch

If I have a good summer (5.5+ body condition in the fall)I can run cows on dead grass and mineral all winter and wean 550-600lbs calves in october and 90% + will be bred back in a 60 day window.I sell some bulls some people might laugh but some people buy them and are pleased. Most people just sell hype thats all they have hype and a feed bill,If your cows are makeing a profit and your bills are paid who gives a rats a$$.After all they are just cows, aren't to many of them as good or bad as we think they are.

Aero":3ez4ah9i said:
what's wrong w/ 400 lbs? if you never feed them or their mamas, you can knock 70% off of the average farmer's overhead costs. how much would your calves have to bring if you could reduce your costs by 70%? get rid of the tractors, hay equipment, mixer wagon. while you are at it, get rid of ET, synch, and AI. imagine how much time and money you would save.

What's wrong? Now THAT'S funny.

You be sure and let us all know the next time you buy a herd sire that weaned off at 400 lbs. Heck, let us know when you even evaluate one.

Any cow that has enough feed to maintain a pulse and still can't wean a calf over 400 lbs. should be shipped to India to serve as a sacred cow. Because no amount of cost savings can begin to offset the amount of profitability she's sucking out of the operation.

You cant give them mineral. Thats supplementing. Also I dont see anything in your post about 400 pound calves and what part of the country is this nutricious dead grass located in? Unless you are referring to hay as dead grass? I never said people laughed at 550-600 pound calves either. Heck my dog wouldnt eat turnip greens for the first three weeks.

Circle H Ranch

Ok I've had a couple 400lbs calves,but the cows didn't get to try the next year.I laugh about as much at a 400lbs ww as I do a 1000lbs ww.I just don't see much good in either one.What kind of comm. guy can spend $6,000 on terminal bulls? I see alot of good terminal bulls for 1/2 to 1/3 of that or less but they might only have a 700lbs ww and I don't think you'll see 10 lbs difference in your calf crop because of it.

Cattleman200":2v5mzfuc said:
Im not fighting. Im just making a point. In other words a true statement.

Anybody with half a brain knows you have to supplement cows. Any REAL seedstock producer in the nation would be the laughing stock if all his animals weaned at 400 pounds and with all the other expenses the average commercial breeder would go broke weaning 400 pound calves. Anyone that received a sale catalog in the mail on a bull sale and the bulls all had 400 pound weaning weights would be more likely to toss it in the trash and have a good laugh than get all fired up about attending the sale. Thats what I would do. Sometimes crazy posts in here deserve a crazy response.

Circle H Ranch

apparently, you need to visit Kit Pharo. he is probably making as much money as anyone in the bull business and a lot of the bulls have 800-900 lb yearling weights.

visit Ted Slanker and ask him how much he has supplemented. no hay, no cubes... just mineral, grass and water... all winter. (Including heifers!)

if you routinely have to feed your animals, they are not made for your environment and just because your cows wont make it in a system doesnt mean others' wont. and just because you dont think it's possible, doesnt make it a "crazy post".

Areo...
When your family dispersed the registered herd awhile back, were those sale cattle fed anything in the months or weeks leading up to the sale???

We've weaned many Angus bull calves in the fall weighing 700 lbs. off mostly native grass and their mommas. Cows are expected to breed back in a 60 day window. In the winter they graze standing dry grass and we supplement with cottonseed cubes and mineral. We've been doing this for a few years, made some money, have some repeat customers, and will probably continue doing the same thing for at least a few more years. Pharo has his program; SAV has theirs. Different programs for different folks. That's why I love the Angus breed. :D

Our cows winter on grass alone and they are in Northern SD. They wean off calves from 600 to 750 lbs without any creep. (If I creep fed I would have alot of weights in the 800's and 900's) The cows do not get any grain, protein, or hay (unless the snow is to deep). It is possible to get good weights.

Kelly does creep his calves, and I am pretty sure all of his customers know this as well. I have personally seen his bulls and cows and they are not that big or tall I should say. They have all kinds of body and length, awesome udders and very structurally correct. I don't consider his bulls terminal. I have also seen commercial cows that are sired by his bulls and they are very nice and even, real easy doing, and correct. This rancher only feeds hay in the winter months (no grain or protein supplemented) and they do better than alot of other cattle out there.

i guess if we were raising cattle in pharos country things would be different...... but i got grass... annual rain 12in.... we can get that in a month. plus the cattlemen in my area are taking a beating on the 400 pndrs

bulldealer":n1g2hoop said:
Areo...
When your family dispersed the registered herd awhile back, were those sale cattle fed anything in the months or weeks leading up to the sale???
of course. why do you think there was a dispersal?

...calf size is more a function of cow size than environment.

Aero":sqnk3k09 said:
bulldealer":sqnk3k09 said:
Areo...
of course. why do you think there was a dispersal?

So by feeding the sale cattle before the sale, was that misrepresenting them to potential buyers, or was that marketing??

alacattleman":3kkzet6k said:
Aero":3kkzet6k said:
yeah... i think most on here are aware of that....

if you read the posts above, you will see they dont.

bulldealer":2wen5vte said:
So by feeding the sale cattle before the sale, was that misrepresenting them to potential buyers, or was that marketing??
neither one. they were feeding everything (way too much) like normal; it was business as usual.

Aero":31qy29aj said:
alacattleman":31qy29aj said:
Aero":31qy29aj said:
yeah... i think most on here are aware of that....

if you read the posts above, you will see they dont.

Now you're skewing the facts. We were talking about the validity of 400 lb weaned animals being used as seed stock. We're not talking about cow size and cutting costs at any cost. We're talking about the sire side of the equation. Still waiting to hear about the last 400 lb WW bull you either owned or considered owning.

There is no greater love than the one between a marketer and his feed bucket. I saw some Net Worth's today up here getting fed .75% of their bodyweight in grain-good solid bulls-nice feet and muscle shape-by the way it was -30.

lakading,

It seems to me you are trying to put words in Aero's mouth. IMO, he was trying to point out that a 400 lb.ww bull can have the same genetic potential as a 900 lb. ww bull. I don't think he ever tried to say he would always choose the 400 lb. ww bull. For that matter, I think he used the low number just to provoke and prove his point. Nonetheless, I think he is also trying to say that with the EPD craze these high ww are wanted even if it not that necessary and doesn't change the bulls genetic makeup or package.

krenwic

Not really. Anyway, I never said ALWAYS. I'm talking about EVER. Even ONE TIME.

The 900 lb ww calves are a different story. I never said it's right to aim for such targets. But I will say that it's less wrong than considering a 400 lb ww calf from a breeding standpoint. Which is why I found it odd that Aero leans toward the 900 lb producer not beeing a "real" breeder, yet he almost champions the guy raising the dinks (the ones that haven't expressed any genetic potential) as seed stock.

krenwic":2oagmeyt said:
lakading,

It seems to me you are trying to put words in Aero's mouth. IMO, he was trying to point out that a 400 lb.ww bull can have the same genetic potential as a 900 lb. ww bull. I don't think he ever tried to say he would always choose the 400 lb. ww bull. For that matter, I think he used the low number just to provoke and prove his point. Nonetheless, I think he is also trying to say that with the EPD craze these high ww are wanted even if it not that necessary and doesn't change the bulls genetic makeup or package.

krenwic