SAV America has a long way to go

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
76 Bar said:
They usually stop nursing at about 10-11 months, almost never do they exceed that, they lose interest.
I beg to differ. Don't know of any reputable seed stock breeder who'd opt to wean short yearlings.

I think it's important to further address your comment. as well as what Boot Jack asked me.

We can all look at how one runs their operation and pick it apart. You generalized, as I do, but I know the comment was intended for me.

************* is probably one of the most unconventional Angus operations in the country. We have biometric collars on our entire herd, and thus far are the only beef operation in the U.S. doing that, however not for long, an Angus operator in TN is about to install a full system for his herd, no it's not TT, if you follow certain Facebook forums I participate in, you will probably be able to find out who it is on your own.

We do AI combinations that nobody is doing, just this week we pulled this off.

[image]369[/image]

Overall, from nutrition to genetics, to how they are cared for each day is highly customized. I'm really not concerned if I fit in with the "industry", in fact, the industry is going down the toilet right now, so why would I be concerned with following a business model that is getting hammered?

I think you would be surprised if you were privy to the conversations I have with potential clients, they are not sharing your sentiments.

The pedigree combinations that I'm working on take years to complete, buyers know that, and they do not want to put in the incredible amount of work to make it happen in their own herds, but buying embryos, and bulls from me that have certain pedigrees is something they can do, and quickly. Imagine it takes me years to create a Harvestor/America/Net Worth/Hoover Dam daughter, but you can get embryos from that daughter with some cold hard cash, implant them in your commercial recips, and then have what took me years to create in a short amount of time. It's highly appealing to a segment of the Angus crowd. Even more so to the folks in Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay. Don't forget Canada and Australia. My market is not necessarily limited to Kentucky. Thank God!

************* said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
************* said:
I understand, but my main focus is on females. I don't consider myself a player in the seed stock business. I have some very nice bulls, but it's my females that really shine bright.

So, you never plan to sell females? Or is the end game just to sell embryos?

Embryos.

I will sell females in time, but for now I want to keep them all. Those that aren't the very best will certainly work well as recips.

With the technology available at Trans Ova I can pretty much eliminate bull calves completely. Right now I would prefer to have only females born, but doing that throughout the entire herd can get expensive, unless you use sexed semen on the entire herd, which limits my sire selection.

Another option is selling registered bred heifers that are confirmed pregnant via sexed semen, and also ultrasound to prove that they have a female calf. Kind of a two for one special. I've discussed this with buyers and they are very interested in this plan.

The seed stock biz is crowded, and the choices endless, not so much with high quality females, especially bred AI.
Your use of the term "seed stock" in this thread has confused me. I have understood the term to refer to those that produce and market registered females and bulls. You limit its use to bull sellers? Perhaps it is simply a regional difference.

Branded: I applaud you for finally giving the scoop on where you're heading. Sounds like you're heading the same direction I am, except we don't sex semen and will probably never do embryos. My plan is to breed really good cows and if I run into selling a decent bull, so be it. But as a seed stock buyer, I want to warn you of one of your takes. I could be an outlier, but I don't think I am. Most folks looking to buy good replacements are not looking for matings within the pedigree. Most seed stock buyers are really only looking for one line in a pedigree. It might tickle your fancy to have America in the pedigree, but your buyer may only be interested in Hoover Dam. Dam is the seller and that may not even be true. I disliked In Focus (for my own personal, invalid reasons), my entire herd is now made up of In Focus in the geneology. I bought my bred heifers based on phenotype and the farm behind them, had nothing to do with the pedigree. If I go out to get new genetics into my herd in the future, it's going out to get something I haven't bred into mine. For me it could be looking for a Payweight or Cowboy Up daughter, because I've opted not to use them as sires and the phenotype will still be paramount. Be careful thinking rare matings will matter, because for a lot of folks, it really isn't a driver to purchase cattle. But for you as a breeder, it sure is a kick in the pants.

CreekAngus said:
Branded: I applaud you for finally giving the scoop on where you're heading. Sounds like you're heading the same direction I am, except we don't sex semen and will probably never do embryos. My plan is to breed really good cows and if I run into selling a decent bull, so be it. But as a seed stock buyer, I want to warn you of one of your takes. I could be an outlier, but I don't think I am. Most folks looking to buy good replacements are not looking for matings within the pedigree. Most seed stock buyers are really only looking for one line in a pedigree. It might tickle your fancy to have America in the pedigree, but your buyer may only be interested in Hoover Dam. Dam is the seller and that may not even be true. I disliked In Focus (for my own personal, invalid reasons), my entire herd is now made up of In Focus in the geneology. I bought my bred heifers based on phenotype and the farm behind them, had nothing to do with the pedigree. If I go out to get new genetics into my herd in the future, it's going out to get something I haven't bred into mine. For me it could be looking for a Payweight or Cowboy Up daughter, because I've opted not to use them as sires and the phenotype will still be paramount. Be careful thinking rare matings will matter, because for a lot of folks, it really isn't a driver to purchase cattle. But for you as a breeder, it sure is a kick in the pants.

Fair enough,

I will breed what I like, and see where the chips fall, it's not like the matings that I'm doing are going to suddenly produce mediocre results, because thus far that has not been the case.

I mentioned that if I can get a really top Supercharger daughter that I'm going to mate her to Net Worth, that's not easy to pull off, and people who own Net Worth daughters, AND like what they see with Supercharger, are definitely interested in seeing what happens with this. Those are my potential clients.

The overall cattle business is a very crowded trade, so to say. Niche is where we are, and where we will remain.

I wish you the best in your business, you no doubt will produce a high-quality product.

CreekAngus said:

Creek have you noticed that when America is mentioned on a thread that it suddenly gets a tremendous amount of views? Just this one thread alone has almost 80-90 posts and nearly 2400 views.

There are sires that garner a lot of interest and that is never a bad thing when it comes time to sell the progeny.

You know as well as I do, that people post what are probably very good bulls on the Facebook forums that are pretty much forgotten a week later. SAV America 8018 is not one of them.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:

Creek have you noticed that when America is mentioned on a thread that it suddenly gets a tremendous amount of views? Just this one thread alone has almost 80-90 posts and nearly 2400 views.

There are sires that garner a lot of interest and that is never a bad thing when it comes time to sell the progeny.

You know as well as I do, that people post what are probably very good bulls on the Facebook forums that are pretty much forgotten a week later. SAV America 8018 is not one of them.

In this case I don't think it's America, it's you. James you garner a lot of interest, whether good or negative. A lot of it is driven by you. We do have a thread on Cowboy Up going right now and it's been well posted on and if you posted your two cents, 8 posters are going to go on there to give you their five cents. I agree though America does have a lot of positive and negative comments on Facebook threads, honestly I got no thought on the bull, after you all prove him out, I will know more. And as I've stated I like his pedigree, but I like it with 707 better.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:

Fair enough,

I will breed what I like, and see where the chips fall, it's not like the matings that I'm doing are going to suddenly produce mediocre results, because thus far that has not been the case.

I mentioned that if I can get a really top Supercharger daughter that I'm going to mate her to Net Worth, that's not easy to pull off, and people who own Net Worth daughters, AND like what they see with Supercharger, are definitely interested in seeing what happens with this. Those are my potential clients.

The overall cattle business is a very crowded trade, so to say. Niche is where we are, and where we will remain.

I wish you the best in your business, you no doubt will produce a high-quality product.

Thank you James, but I will probably have a monumental disaster that only I can appreciate. Most likely I'm going to end up with 1000 straws of semen in my tank belonging to 998 sires and have 5 cows to use those on.

************* said:
CreekAngus said:

Fair enough,

Yeah most of us come for the entertainment value of the post. Couldn't care less about that bull.
What do you mean by saying that breeding a supercharger daughter to net worth is "not easy to pull off?" '

My other thought as someone has mentioned, with crossing multiple popular bloodlines like that is, "if someone says I like hoover dam, I want more of his genetics," he wouldn't buy a bull who was 50% hoover dam 2 generations ago. Right? At that point he is so diluted, that said descendant probably wouldn't resemble HD at all, in phenotype nor numbers. I'm just thinking out loud here, not saying you're wrong to mix those bloodlines.

Bcompton53 said:
************* said:
CreekAngus said:

Fair enough,

Yeah most of us come for the entertainment value of the post. Couldn't care less about that bull.
What do you mean by saying that breeding a supercharger daughter to net worth is "not easy to pull off?" '

My other thought as someone has mentioned, with crossing multiple popular bloodlines like that is, "if someone says I like hoover dam, I want more of his genetics," he wouldn't buy a bull who was 50% hoover dam 2 generations ago. Right? At that point he is so diluted, that said descendant probably wouldn't resemble HD at all, in phenotype nor numbers. I'm just thinking out loud here, not saying you're wrong to mix those bloodlines.

What I meant by that comment is this. At the moment there are very few Supercharger daughters on the ground outside of Schaff that have been DNA proven. So if you consider, ordering the semen, breeding some cows, waiting 283 days or so for a female to be born, then waiting another 14-15 months to get her to breeding age, then you breed her to reverse sorted sexed Net Worth semen, most likely done by Trans Ova, and if one is willing to pay and secure his semen which is quickly getting very expensive, and assuming she gets pregnant via AI, and has the calf successfully 283 days later, then voila you have a Supercharger/Net Worth daughter.

By my estimates that whole process is anything but cheap, and it's about 35-37 months to pull all of that off. So if I start right now, then it will be approximately 2024 before I have a Supercharger/Net Worth calf on the ground, and then about another 14 months or so before you can breed her, possibly to SAV America.

Now when you tell anyone these days that their heifer that they desire is 3 years off, they would laugh and not even consider it, but in 3 years from now, or closer to 4 if I have EMBRYOS from that daughter, they can skip the line, and go right to the velvet rope and V.I.P. so to say.

That is why I say it is not easy. It's the time and labor involved that is not easy, not the actual breeding.

What's the difference in breeding a Net Worth daughter/granddaughter to a Supercharger?

We are flushing to Supercharger.

Funny thing, got a call last night asking if we wanted some america semen. I said no. Asked my FIL, he said no. Then asked what happened to the two year wait list (that we aren't on, btw)...

I will have my hands on some next week though since our AI buddy is having it shipped here to store till he flushes his to him.

What do I do with it? I can't possibly store it next to "regular" semen.

If you want it, call for it.

NEFarmwife said:
What's the difference in breeding a Net Worth daughter/granddaughter to a Supercharger?

Funny thing, got a call last night asking if we wanted some america semen. I said no. Asked my FIL, he said no. Then asked what happened to the two year wait list (that we aren't on, btw)...

I will have my hands on some next week though since our AI buddy is having it shipped here to store till he flushes his to him.

I was wondering when you would exit your cave.

************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

Just out of surgery, thanks!

NEFarmwife said:
************* said:
NEFarmwife said:

Just out of surgery, thanks!

Bar fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.