Sale results

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
Well as with all things nothing ever goes as planned.
First the 36 bull decided he didn't want to be in the sale and jumped 3 fences to go back to the pasture, where he lives today with the older breeding bulls. He will most likely go to the feedlot without his nuts. Which is OK I'd rather know now that his flight zone is 3000 feet.LOL

Secondly 34 bull failed the BSE for white blood cells in his semen. He however has had a nice dose of Micotil and will get another one or some LA 2000 in a few days. After that we will give him another chance to be tested. His motility was good even with the white blood cells so he should pass in a few weeks. The good news is there are some real nice folks from Limon Colo who expressed an interest in him, plus two other local families asked me about him after the sale. So I should get him sold by May 1 one way or the other.

The best deal of the day was the bull I called the Wildebeast. He was actually a real nice balancer bull out of Julian's(who posts on here) Boaz bull and a linebred Ozz Govenor cow. He cleaned up real good and ended up bringing $2650 so I was happy about that.

The only real bad news of the day for me was my Red GV bull he looked great but from the time he arrived at the sale barn he had gotten progressively more nervous. FWIW this calf had NEVER exhibited any agressive behaviour before today. But he sure made up for it when they put him in that ring. He went after a young lady who is a very good friend of mine who was working as a ringman. He got her cornered and jacked her up the wall a ways, before the other ringman ran him off of her. Needless to say the bidding which had just got started came to a grinding halt @ $2150. He ended up selling to a 85 yr old local cattlewoman who told me after the sale Oh heck honey don't worry about him we'll just take him home and straighten him out. I however told her that if he didn't calm down for them to sell him and I would refund the difference!

So i avgd $2400 for the two which was OK since they weren't on a big bull test and my inputs were minimal.

You are very philosphical about it, gotta be a little bit disappointed. Not a total train wreck by any means but sure could have been better the way prices have been. You just never know how they are gonna act under pressure.

Sorry to hear about things not going quite as planned. At least you maintained a sense of humor (at least in how you told it) and sure do have a positive attitude about it all. I know a few folks who could learn from you.

And I echo what LRTX1 said, with any luck #34 will sell really well.

Katherine

I believe I have 34 sold when he passes the BSE he should bring %2500. So I am OK with the avg for sure. If I had more into them it wouldn't be so good but they were raised pretty economically so I can live with those prices. I saw some bulls I thought were better than most of mine that sold for an avg only a couple hundred higher this week and they were fed a lot more expensive grain and hay. Pretty though. Fat is still my favorite color!

FWIW I am already looking at the calves on the ground and excited about next year!

Some other observations. This was an Angus day. A fella from Gunnison brought over 5 or 6 real nice Limo 2yr olds and couldn't get $2,000 for them. Another fella had a pen full of HH that I thought would avg over $3000 and they couldn't give them away. So go figure when I put it in perspective I did well and like I said I am already counting next years chickens!

Just got back from the Four States Ag Expo, we took a couple of our mid tier bulls there and got 2700 and 2950 on them. A lady with hereford was getting lots of offers but she sells private treaty. There were some long yearling and 2y.o. angus bulls that brought around 3k-2500.

I guess the Western Colorado Angus Sale and the SimAngus Sale @ Delta had very good years... around 3700ish with the Sim sale doing slightly better.

Sometimes things just don't go as planned, especially if cattle are involved. You did ok. Good luck with the next ones.

I had some one offer me a real nice salt and pepper register 3 year old Longhorn bull with a nice set of horns for 2500............

Some other observations. This was an Angus day. A fella from Gunnison brought over 5 or 6 real nice Limo 2yr olds and couldn't get $2,000 for them. Another fella had a pen full of HH that I thought would avg over $3000 and they couldn't give them away. So go figure when I put it in perspective I did well and like I said I am already counting next years chickens!
Some one should send them cows back to Texas..........

I sold some bred cows that were a little off the average than what I wanted but I made money on them so I let them go. In my opinion all that matters is your made money and didn't lose your as$.

Kingfisher":2nqablay said:

Which cows back to Texas????????

3 Way - We had four bulls with the extra white blood cells. We didn't have Mycotil and am actually afraid of the stuff. Anyway, we gave two rounds of 45 CC LA 200. Gave it in 3 sites each time - 15 max in a spot. They were cleared up within 10 days. Bad news is they will look like pin cushions for a while. It should go away, but it is heck on their appearance for a while. Just some insight from someone that had the same problem (on the bulls):).

AX-":1cpf0oht said:
3 Way - We had four bulls with the extra white blood cells. We didn't have Mycotil and am actually afraid of the stuff. Anyway, we gave two rounds of 45 CC LA 200. Gave it in 3 sites each time - 15 max in a spot. They were cleared up within 10 days. Bad news is they will look like pin cushions for a while. It should go away, but it is heck on their appearance for a while. Just some insight from someone that had the same problem (on the bulls):).

Thanks Brian. The Pot O Gold uses LA 300 and say it works for them. I also am a little scared of the Mycotil but my Cow Guru uses it with confiedence. We are out now so they will get a dose of Nuflour in a few days, and retested in a couple of weeks. We should have tested them sooner but wanted to not have to handle them too many times. This week they were hauled in from the pasture tested, clipped, tattoo'd and hauled the same day.

3waycross":3j49m2r2 said:
Kingfisher":3j49m2r2 said:

Which cows back to Texas????????

These " A fella from Gunnison brought over 5 or 6 real nice Limo 2yr olds and couldn't get $2,000 for them. Another fella had a pen full of HH that I thought would avg over $3000 and they couldn't give them away. "
I saw sorry looking 2 year old angus that were not bred going for $1038.00 plus..........I would take 6 2 year old Limo for less than 2k all day long.

Kingfisher he floored all of them at $2000 and I think he might have sold one for that or a little more. What I heard after the sale was folks around this country have so much limo they wanted balancer or Angus to outcross.

Latest posts