Restaurants make too much profit

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I have never owned a steak house but I've been eating for nearly 50 yrs , I also read alot and watch cooking shows. Steaks should not cost 20 Bucks , hell they should be about 5 bucks. I'm pretty sure I could have one that seats 100 folks and do twice the business as any other one. It's got to be easy because I meet a lot of owners of restaurants and quite a few are a few Fry's short of a happy meal. If y'all want to know anything about running a restaurant just ask I'll share my wisdom.

Darryl,
Not sure if you are kidding. I think you must be. I have never owned a steak house. But I also eat. I bet my farm that I have eaten in steak houses 10 fold what you have. I spent a lot of my life on federal per diem (33 years) eating on the road in probably 44 different states. You have to be the one several fries shy of a happy meal if you think a steak house can make money selling $5 steaks. Unless they are prime woodchuck steaks and someone is donating them.

You are kidding.

If someone can be an expert on cattle and not own any I can be an expert on restaurants. And why can't steaks be 5 bucks , the owners are making all the money they should not be so greedy. You see if you did an ala cart menu with fair prices you could do it. 100 seats turned every 45 minutes is a pile of money you would only have to be open for 6 hrs a day.

I have ran a restaurant and catering business. Everyone thinks that restaurants get huge discounts on meat purchases. Truth is they pay very near the same as buying from your local grocer unless they are buying in huge volumes. You won't be able to keep the lights on selling $5 steaks much less making payroll.

I know your funnin the new guy (if he really is new?). Never owned a restaurant, but my family was in the convenience store dusiness for many years. It's a tough go. The electric bill on a convenience store would boggle the mind. Also, your most prolific selling items have the smallest margin. The price of those items are largely determined by the manufacturer. They get the nice profit. If you could get everybody that came in the door, to get a fountain drink and something you whipped up from the deli case, it wouldn't be too bad.

Restaurants have overhead - liability insurance, rent or mortgage payments, energy costs, utility costs, etc.

Then labor, etc. Plus they have a fundamental capital cost in the steak. I bet the steak raw and unserved costs more than $5.

What you drinking tonight. Mine is Merlot but Danm sure not had as much as you have. :nod:

slick4591":n86uufpr said:
I have ran a restaurant and catering business. Everyone thinks that restaurants get huge discounts on meat purchases. Truth is they pay very near the same as buying from your local grocer unless they are buying in huge volumes. You won't be able to keep the lights on selling $5 steaks much less making payroll.

I think he's talking about one of those fancy places that uses candles on the tables.

Jogeephus":2q159t5o said:
slick4591":2q159t5o said:

I think he's talking about one of those fancy places that uses candles on the tables.

Musta missed the joke somewhere along the line. :oops:

Jogeephus":2pg3ei9t said:
slick4591":2pg3ei9t said:

Even if he is talking about selling steaks out of the back of his pickup, he will go broke selling $5 steaks.
:nod:

Dishes, forks, knives, spoons, water, soap, employees, toilet paper, paper towels, chairs, tables, ac/heat, dissatisfied customers who you have to RECOOK meals for, cups, glasses, straws, insurance, salt pepper, sugar, artificial sweeteners, DIFFERENT kinds steak sauce, salad dressings, cash register, credit card machines and fees and paper, uniforms, cleaning supplies,

People are obviously ok with what they charge or they'd have no business. I fix this overcharge by never eating out. I feel much better with that cash in my pocket rather than a few minutes of chewing.

Jogeephus":2x731643 said:
I frequently dined in one of those establishments back in CA for a while. You know it's swanky when you have to order in a foreign language...
Either that or they couldn't keep the lights on and the waitresses were straight out of Mexico but I like my illusion better and the food was good.

Y'all just don't understand it's all about quality and volume. I've seen it on TV so it's got to be true. Like I said I've been eating nearly 50 yrs so I think I'm qualified. Ron , all I've had today is a little sweet tea at lunch and a bunch of water. I just feel good and my gbaby is here life is good. I also could be a NASCAR driver because I watch it on TV and been driving since I was 12.

M-5":d135gabw said:
Y'all just don't understand it's all about quality and volume. I've seen it on TV so it's got to be true. Like I said I've been eating nearly 50 yrs so I think I'm qualified. Ron , all I've had today is a little sweet tea at lunch and a bunch of water. I just feel good and my gbaby is here life is good. I also could be a NASCAR driver because I watch it on TV and been driving since I was 12.

Stay away from restaurants. You make a better COMEDIAN. :tiphat:

Be nice to guys from the city.

M-5":16qzmcli said:
If someone can be an expert on cattle and not own any I can be an expert on restaurants.

X2, kind of wondering what's going on...... I won't answer the cost of doing business part.

M-5":36ziajlf said:
I have never owned a steak house but I've been eating for nearly 50 yrs , I also read alot and watch cooking shows. Steaks should not cost 20 Bucks , be nice they should be about 5 bucks. I'm pretty sure I could have one that seats 100 folks and do twice the business as any other one. It's got to be easy because I meet a lot of owners of restaurants and quite a few are a few Fry's short of a happy meal. If y'all want to know anything about running a restaurant just ask I'll share my wisdom.

Cut your steaks out a them old beat up 30 Cent canners. Cut em in 4 ounce steaks beat em till the cops show up. Then bread em in a inch thick batter. Get you a catchy name . florida darylls swampmsteaks maybe? Pour a gallon of gravy on em. Have the kithen staffed with wetmescuns , and some skanks with there azz hanging out carrying em to the table. Charge 9 bucks for a watered down beer. Your in the restraunt business man.....

Latest posts