Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice heifers fitz Gator I would label that photo smart cow, cause I know how dang hot it has been here for the past few days and I would imagine it is even hotter in your part of the state.

Now I have to tell a story, we were at the Florida Cattlemen's convention many years ago. A good friend of ours had been indulging in adult beverages, another friend came up, this lady had two daughters that were drop dead beautiful. Our tipsy friend was trying his very best to word an appropriate compliment as to the beauty of her two daughters. At a total loss for words he informed her that if she was a cow she would be in his donor pen. Some women would have been highly insulted to be compared to a cow, however this lady took it as the compliment it was intended.

Edited to add dave you 100% correct!

gizmom

Dave":1clitspc said:
If people would have read the comments that OT wrote you would notice that he wrote, "and when the old cows are brought in from summer pasture they go back with them- and are wintered with them thru the winter... Learn to rustle and survive right from the start... And I've found a heifer on the gain breeds up better then some of the fat ones wintered in the feedlots...' That is roughed through the winter in Northeast Montana. How many have spent time in that part of the world in the winter. I would be surprised if a heifer came through the winter up there all nice and fat. He also said that he would know 10 years from now how they worked out. He said he took a few picture so some of the heifers. I am certain he has a lot more heifers than what there are pictures of. He didn't say this was the top end. I have been raising 60 replacement heifers a year. No matter how you try there is always one that is ugly. And if you sell her another one becomes the ugly one. Lets be realistic looking at a few heifer in May is not the entire picture of his breeding program. That 406 heifer might turn out to be a great cow. On the other hand she might grow a set of wheels real soon. Time will tell.
I competed against OT in college rodeos way too many years ago. He has been running the ranch ever since so this is a long ways from his first set of replacement heifers. I imagine he knows a little bit about what kind of cattle work in his environment.

No one is questioning that Dave but OT picked the heifers to post so I'm sure he also expected and understood the comments and accepted them.

Katpau here are some brangus heifers I have. Just phone camera snapshots so definitely don't do them justice. These are all 14 and 15 months old commercial heifers. Will put the bull with them this July 1st. Tear them apart. I will not be offended. Will get more and hopefully better pics latter.

Looks fine to me. For what that's worth . I like the one with the big ears looking at me the best.
First one I like the least...Kinda looks like one of mine

fenceman":4rv6kzm3 said:
Looks fine to me. For what that's worth . I like the one with the big ears looking at me the best.
First one I like the least...Kinda looks like one of mine
First one actually is pretty pencil gutted. Probably not gonna make it. But will get her bred and haul her to the sale.

TT I know it....heck I was sitting on the pipe fence in the back yard...camera in one hand and a beer in the other. :lol2:

Here's some of my "ugly" Brangus girls. :mrgreen: Tear away at them, then I will tell you how they performed as cows. Well, all but the last one. She is still a heifer. :)

[URL
me20016_zpsixmrh0rc.jpg
[/URL]
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/ef1130ee-38d0-472d-a5bd-1c8058005ac9_zpspxdv92tg.jpg[/img]
[URL
me024_zpse327c6cb.jpg
[/URL]
[URL
IMG_20150611_194912_zpsea71455c.jpg
[/URL]

branguscowgirl":a3gtffb7 said:
Here's some of my "ugly" Brangus girls. :mrgreen: Tear away at them, then I will tell you how they performed as cows. Well, all but the last one. She is still a heifer. :)

[URL
me20016_zpsixmrh0rc.jpg
[/URL]
http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/ef1130ee-38d0-472d-a5bd-1c8058005ac9_zpspxdv92tg.jpg[/img]
[URL
me024_zpse327c6cb.jpg
[/URL]
[URL
IMG_20150611_194912_zpsea71455c.jpg
[/URL]
Them are fancy, I can't speak on cattle that fancy.I don't know the lingo. Terms like pin gutted and post legged. Idk.
Still trying to figure out what y'all said about my little bull.
I kinda think you said his pecker was to small :oops:

I kinda think you said his pecker was to small
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No! I believe that I had said that he was clean sheathed for a Brangus. And that is a good thing. Some Brangus have so much extra skin and sheath hanging down, that you fear they are gonna break their pecker! A cleaner, tighter underline is more desirable and sometimes hard to find. I try to "breed for it" in my cattle because the buyers here in CA don't like it. They like some ear, but a bit tighter skin.

TennesseeTuxedo":3sb0nx2i said:
Do yourself a favor next time and put a beer in each hand!

Just picking at ya TB. Black cattle are hard to photograph. Hope that doesn't offend anyone.
What you're really saying is "give the camera to my wife" and let her take pics while I drink. (I can read between the lines and I think I agree with you. ). :lol2: :lol2:

Branguscowgirl, you cheated...No show cattle...replacement heifers only. :mrgreen:

Oh what, this isn't the show board!? :lol:

These are my replacement heifers! (And now my cows.) I have raised every cow I own, except that Angus recip cow I bought last summer. :mrgreen:

Sorry TB, these are the only heifers I have to post. (And I didn't want to be left out.) :cry2:

branguscowgirl":1bhwdyj9 said:

These are my replacement heifers! (And now my cows.) I have raised every cow I own, except that Angus recip cow I bought last summer. :mrgreen:

Sorry TB, these are the only heifers I have to post. (And I didn't want to be left out.) :cry2:

You did good....obviously you were sober too. :lol: :lol:

branguscowgirl":uf664s4x said:

looks good to me BCC . hey that rhymes Im a poet and didn't know it

branguscowgirl":3uupwzd4 said:

They look good to me too. Of course I like Brangus anyway. I plan to wean mine in a few weeks and I'll try to remember to take some pictures and post them here.

Thank you guys. :)
I started with just 2 registered heifers about 16 years ago. Everything I raise originated from those 2. I have culled every thing that didn't have "the look and the performance" that I wanted. Now every one that I own has originated from just one of those original heifers. And when I say "culled", they actually went into other registered or commercial herds. I have actually shown against, and been beaten by some of the descendants from them. :)

I went out this morning and tried to get a few photos of our replacement heifers they see me coming and get in a wad so they sure made it hard to get a decent shot.

Prime example of why I couldn't seem to get a decent picture of the 2013 bred heifers.

this is a few of them looking at me.

The only good shot I got of the bred heifers, I don't know who it is but she is one I would say is pretty nice.

gizmom

Dave":1nqk3b9g said:
If people would have read the comments that OT wrote you would notice that he wrote, "and when the old cows are brought in from summer pasture they go back with them- and are wintered with them thru the winter... Learn to rustle and survive right from the start... And I've found a heifer on the gain breeds up better then some of the fat ones wintered in the feedlots...' That is roughed through the winter in Northeast Montana. How many have spent time in that part of the world in the winter. I would be surprised if a heifer came through the winter up there all nice and fat. He also said that he would know 10 years from now how they worked out. He said he took a few picture so some of the heifers. I am certain he has a lot more heifers than what there are pictures of. He didn't say this was the top end. I have been raising 60 replacement heifers a year. No matter how you try there is always one that is ugly. And if you sell her another one becomes the ugly one. Lets be realistic looking at a few heifer in May is not the entire picture of his breeding program. That 406 heifer might turn out to be a great cow. On the other hand she might grow a set of wheels real soon. Time will tell.
I competed against OT in college rodeos way too many years ago. He has been running the ranch ever since so this is a long ways from his first set of replacement heifers. I imagine he knows a little bit about what kind of cattle work in his environment.

Thanks Dave... You are right- these heifers were roughed thru the winter- and the way they have been cycling once they got on green grass- I'll bet they are all bred up... I'm kind of used to rough wintered and non pampered heifers- because some of those we bought from Cole Creek were actually rougher then these as they don't pamper theirs either- and they grew into great cows... I found out that in the long run I think it pays off- as it makes them better range cows that will get out and rustle to survive rather than stand around the feedbunk bellering for feed... And still being all haired up makes them look even worse- but at the time I took these pictures we were still getting freezing temps at night on this pasture up by the Canadian line...(In fact we've had freezing temps up until last week-- altho this weekend they are predicting temps near 100- the joys of the diversity of living on the Great American Desert ;-) :D )

These double and triple Bannon of Wye granddaughters are kind of my experiment... From what I found from the same bloodline bull calves I saved is that they grow out much the same way... Fast growing calves- that put on frame til they are yearlings- and then stop growing frame but then start adding muscle ... If you're not used to forage raised maternal bloodline bulls they look gangly as yearlings- long and thin with less muscle then the other sired ones...I am hoping this slower maturing pattern is a sign of longevity and maternal traits... If you know Wye cattle this growth pattern and trait is common amongst those cattle... And with the old Bannon of Wye having shown his ability to produce some great maternal cattle- I'm hoping his bloodlines will show thru...

Gizmom- I agree with 406 being light in the rear end ... Like I said- I put some of this to the growth pattern of the Wye cattle.. 406 is the only one that has Bannon of Wye showing up 3 times on her papers... Hopefully in the years ahead we will see if this lineage clicks or not... Or like Dave said- she can always be culled.... Like the saying goes " The good thing about breeding cattle is you can eat your mistakes"... ;-)

Part of the reason we kept this heifer is because of the performance of her mother and grandmother..

406 mother - L B B Mary 01X last fall... She is a 4 frame cow that maintains her condition well..This picture was taken a month after weaning...

This spring with this years heifer calf sired by Juanada Rito

Her grandmother W C R Mary 845U #16175571 and another heifer calf that will probably go back into the herd.. 845U is a 4 frame cow that brings in one of the biggest calves every year.. She has a birth ratio of 96 and weaning ratio of 108... She is a Bannon of Wye UMF 8420 daughter.. Her last years bull calf has Bannon 3 times on his papers, weaned at 640, and was sold to a commercial ranch north of us- so hopefully I can see how he develops....
The Bannon daughters have pretty heads and great feet and udders....

Latest posts