Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
The calves have been weaned for almost a month now. Weaning was uneventful, other than a few calves escaping into the front yard. We have selected 9 heifers to retain from this spring's calf crop, most of which, are sired by BB Backbone's General. There are a few others that are AI sired that we are keeping back.

302 Heifer- This was our first calf of the year out of a first calf heifer. Her dam broke her nose as a calf, but she did a pretty decent job with this one, weaning 55% of her body weight. Her sire is Red Butte Pelion, a Murray Grey bull from 1977. She is a granddaughter of the New Zealand bull, Ballee Thumbs Up, and a great granddaughter of the Australian import, Cadella Park Golden Boy.
302 Heifer (8.5 months)(1).jpg

306 Heifer- This is a BB Backbone's General daughter out of Ozark Sugar, a 2012 model. Ozark Sugar has been an extraordinarily consistent heifer producer for us, and this year is no different.
306 Heifer (7.5 months).jpg

310 Heifer- This is a BB Backbone's General heifer out of a BB Uncle Tony cow. This was the first heifer calf that she has had to date. Her full brothers from 2019 and 2021 made the cut as herd bulls and are working in herds in Texas and Missouri.
310 Heifer (7 months)(1).jpg

312 Heifer- This heifer is one of my favorites. Her dam is a 2011 model and is a full sibling to our previous herdsire, BB Uncle Tony. This is only the second heifer calf that she has had since 2015. She too is a BB Backbone's General daughter.
312 Heifer (6.5 months).jpg

316 Heifer- This heifer is a unique combination of genetics. Her dam is one of the only daughters of Balmoral Elation to be born in the last 3 decades, and she is sired by BB Backbone's General. She has more frame and growth than our herd average.
316 Heifer (7 months).jpg

318 Heifer- We have had a handful of nice Ballee Thumbs Up daughters in the last few years and this one is no different. Like her dam, she is a bit shorter-necked and not quite as feminine, but they do breed really well. Our oldest Ballee Thumbs Up daughters are raising their first calves now. They have really nice udders and milk well.
318 Heifer (7 months).jpg

320 Heifer- This last heifer is a BB Backbone's General daughter out of a BB Uncle Tony cow. She is thick, well-muscled, and still maintains her femininity. I wish we had a dozen more like her.
320 Heifer (7 months).jpg

And these are some of the bulls that I mentioned above.
Ballee Thumbs Up- A Murray Grey bull out of New Zealand
Ballee Thumbs Up (1).jpg

Balmoral Elation- He is an Australian Murray Grey bull that was sold to the Sutherlands, the family that founded the Murray Grey breed. Elation was later sold to a breeder in Texas.
Balmoral Elation (3).jpg

Red Butte Pelion- A USA born and bred Murray Grey bull. He is a little harder in type than we like, but he is considered "heifer safe" and we were curious as to how he would produce.
Red Butte Pelion (4).jpg

BB Backbone's General- He has been the walking herdsire for the last handful of years
BB Backbone's General (8.5 years).jpg

Monterey Marshall- Sire of BB Backbone's General
Monterey Marshall.jpg

312 Heifer- This heifer is one of my favorites. Her dam is a 2011 model and is a full sibling to our previous herdsire, BB Uncle Tony. This is only the second heifer calf that she has had since 2015. She too is a BB Backbone's General daughter.
View attachment 37597
I can see why you like #312. She would be my pick of the bunch...

The calves have been weaned for almost a month now. Weaning was uneventful, other than a few calves escaping into the front yard. We have selected 9 heifers to retain from this spring's calf crop, most of which, are sired by BB Backbone's General. There are a few others that are AI sired that we are keeping back.

302 Heifer- This was our first calf of the year out of a first calf heifer. Her dam broke her nose as a calf, but she did a pretty decent job with this one, weaning 55% of her body weight. Her sire is Red Butte Pelion, a Murray Grey bull from 1977. She is a granddaughter of the New Zealand bull, Ballee Thumbs Up, and a great granddaughter of the Australian import, Cadella Park Golden Boy.
View attachment 37594

306 Heifer- This is a BB Backbone's General daughter out of Ozark Sugar, a 2012 model. Ozark Sugar has been an extraordinarily consistent heifer producer for us, and this year is no different.
View attachment 37595

310 Heifer- This is a BB Backbone's General heifer out of a BB Uncle Tony cow. This was the first heifer calf that she has had to date. Her full brothers from 2019 and 2021 made the cut as herd bulls and are working in herds in Texas and Missouri.
View attachment 37596

View attachment 37597

316 Heifer- This heifer is a unique combination of genetics. Her dam is one of the only daughters of Balmoral Elation to be born in the last 3 decades, and she is sired by BB Backbone's General. She has more frame and growth than our herd average.
View attachment 37599

318 Heifer- We have had a handful of nice Ballee Thumbs Up daughters in the last few years and this one is no different. Like her dam, she is a bit shorter-necked and not quite as feminine, but they do breed really well. Our oldest Ballee Thumbs Up daughters are raising their first calves now. They have really nice udders and milk well.
View attachment 37598

320 Heifer- This last heifer is a BB Backbone's General daughter out of a BB Uncle Tony cow. She is thick, well-muscled, and still maintains her femininity. I wish we had a dozen more like her.
View attachment 37600
All are very nice.