Renting a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

jyarbrough

Reaction score
Well today I called around to some of the bigger farms and asked about renting a bull from Thanksgiving to April. To my surprise, just about everyone had bulls for rent.

Anyway, most all of the farmers were around a dollar a day and could deliver or pickup for 25 dollars. Most bulls were from four to five years old and alot were pure breed with papers. To be honest that seems way to cheap. Why would I ever buy another bull if I have a breeding season?

Also, who usually insures the bull. Am I responsible if it gets sick, chased and hurt by something wild? I mean anything besides the normal nutrition.

I would have the bull checked for trich and have a BSE done at a minimum before using him if he;s over a yearling in age.
If he dies or gets sick you're respnsible but that should all be spelled out between you and the owner before hand.

A man in our county has probably over a hundred bulls. His dad started the bull rental business and he has continued it. I rent virgin bulls because my herd is small (10) and the cows are crossbred shorthorn/jersey so are smaller framed and gentle. I pay $250.00 for two-three months of a bull in my pasture. They are better bulls than I could ever afford to even look at let alone buy. I pick up and drop off the bull.

I agree on the testing and BSE. I'd also be sure the animal is up to date on all vaccinations and worming. Whatever you agree to, put it in writing and try to cover all contingencies (bull gets out, bull gets injured, what if cows don't get bred, etc.)

Like was previously said, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WRITTEN AND SIGNED CONTRACT!!!!!!! -- make sure it covers all the contingencies that could happen and expectations of each party, and it lists the replacement value. If your cattle are covered under your farm policy, it should cover this bull, but check with your insurance agent. I would make sure he is insured in some way.

Latest posts