Keeping a bull all by himself?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
Once I get rid of all my Angus bulls the only bull I will have is my Black Hereford. The neighbor across the county road will most likely have cows in his pasture sometime this winter, and my cows will across the highway on the other side. Will he stay in the pasture by himself. I guess I could keep him with the cows, they will all be bred. Anything that is open will go to the sale the first sale after I preg check them.

I don't have a bull pasture and just run mine with the cows over the winter. They seem to stay out of trouble and half the time are hanging out by themselves. First calf drops and I pen them up.
I might just do that. I lease a five acre pasture from a friend that is across the highway from us. It's nice and close, but normally have three bulls in there, but the way it is looking I probably won't get any new bulls bought until March. Depending on how much snow we get I don't usually have to feed the bulls until at least mid December. Last winter I had to start feeding in November.

I've done that, it worked well. Or you could throw a steer in there with him. I just wouldn't leave him alone. He'll get lonely, and I don't like lonely cows, I'm afraid they'll wander.
That is my concern. If a bull decides he's lonely no fence is going to stop him. That might be a good idea. I could hold onto a steer. That is a good idea, thanks.

Older bull maybe, younger bull probably not . I do and and haven't had a problem and even kept 2 together. But the ones I have now don't get along.

Had a neighbor keep his bull in a couple acres by the house and let the girls run free. He had a trendline and used electric fence.

Once I get rid of all my Angus bulls the only bull I will have is my Black Hereford. The neighbor across the county road will most likely have cows in his pasture sometime this winter, and my cows will across the highway on the other side. Will he stay in the pasture by himself. I guess I could keep him with the cows, they will all be bred. Anything that is open will go to the sale the first sale after I preg check them.
Put empty minerals tub with him, or something he can push around, tear up, ect. to keep him busy.

I ran my bulls with the cows all winter as well.. My boys were good with the calves so and never had a problem, so I'd just pull the cows that were close to calving out, or if I failed and they calved in the pasture, that wasn't a problem either, just pull them with their calf out.. usually had a straggler and a few steers to keep him company until breeding time came along.. I found since I started keeping the bull with the cows any time I could, I had much less high strung bulls.. I pretty much never had to handle and separate them and make them upset