red angus heifer bull

Help Support CattleToday:

eatbeef

Reaction score
000_0292.JPG
000_0299.JPG

turned him out today so ya can't talk me out of it. Just want to see what people think. calving ease of -3.3 not real good for growth nbut weaned at 645 with no creep and not much grain after weaning YW 1150 and now should be at 1250 or better. I sent in the front view because that means more to me for a heifer bull than just looking at his butt, although in some breeding stock I just looked at the butt but that's a different story with an unhappy ending, well I was happy to see her go but......

yes dun but I consider him a calving ease bull, should have stated it different, you know what is meant but thanks for correcting me!

I mean it is his BW epd to be clear, from what people tell me in the angus breeds anytrhing up to 3 is considered calving ease. I don't know how to type so as i look for the right letters sometimes I forget what I typed or think I typed something else. I do not communicate good in the computer world and had a heck of a time getting these pics posted and must have tried a dozen times and was getting frustrated by the time it finally worked so the write-up is messed up. I don't have the papers in front of me now but I know his dams sire is a King Rob bull and don't want to give wrong info again so I will get back to you on his sire later tonight!

I think that, once again, we have a case here of misunderstanding. In his original post, eatbeef stated that the " . . .calving ease of -3.3. . . .". I believe that he meant to state that "BW was -3.3." Notice that I think that he meant Birth Weight and NOT calving ease. Also he stated that the EPD figure was "-3.3" NOT 3.3. The "Minus" preceeding the figure does make a significant difference!

DOC HARRIS

First and foremost you have to look at the differences in EPDs between black Angus and Red Angus.
The breed average for Red Angus for BW is .5.
A negative BW would provide calving ease (generally). While Red Angus are pretty easy calving as breed, I wouldn;t push a heifer with anything over breed average. But that too depends on the accuracy.

dun

Good luck to you.

I hope that his BW EPD is right, because if it comes down to shape of the bull making them work or not, I would not use this bull on heifers.

He is buck kneed, and open shouldered, and straight-shouldered.

mtnman

mtnman":3375z48t said:
Good luck to you.

I hope that his BW EPD is right, because if it comes down to shape of the bull making them work or not, I would not use this bull on heifers.

He is buck kneed, and open shouldered, and straight-shouldered.

mtnman
:shock: :roll: If you observe carefully - you will notice that the bull is standing with his front feet in a low spot - making his appearance seem to be something that it possibly may not be! There are FEW, if any, absolutes in pictures.

DOC HARRIS

Maybe, DOC.

I can see his dewclaws on the front feet, and they are in the same line as his back feet.

mtnman

I don't see any of what mntmn sees, but of course I can see him in the flesh. He does stand on good bone, if he didn't I wouldn't have bought him!I know mntmn is not an angus fan and can take a little criticism, mainly because I know a good bull for me and that is that. As for being built right, he is. for heifers. I might have to prove it next spring if need be but I am not afaraid to use him. Anyway thanks for the feedback and you all have a good day! oh to answer a question he came from a small breeder in ND.

Latest posts