Heifer Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Hoser

Reaction score
Be brutally honest. Should I keep this April born purebred bull calf to breed 10-15 heifers instead of buying a $3500 heifer bull? What do you guys like and dislike?

His sire is a 4 year old Jindra Acclaim son and dam is 4 year old moderate early calving cow. The video is of the parents as yearlings.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1693691980898.jpg
    FB_IMG_1693691980898.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20230902_160401_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_160401_Gallery.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 35
  • db37204ff86f501596067867515c616b.mp4
    6 MB
What was his birth weight ? The old saying that all angus bulls are low birthweight bulls is not true . Not sure about Acclaims #'s ?

What was his birth weight ? The old saying that all angus bulls are low birthweight bulls is not true . Not sure about Acclaims #'s ?
Acclaim and his son are both top 45% calving ease in Canada and the dam is top 30%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_162332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_162332_Samsung Internet.jpg
    672 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230902_162423_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_162423_Samsung Internet.jpg
    898.2 KB · Views: 6
I would keep him. You know his sire and dam and what type and size they create. I have less surprises when using home raised sires. We had good luck using Stock Fund from Express AI on heifers. Not as much with another we tried. I have went back to only using sires we have had calves sired by or proven bulls. No more of those high numbered low accuracy unproven bulls. In this case you know both the sire and cow. I wouldn't hesitate.

I imagine lots of people are keeping a bull calf or two this year.

Good looking calf. Use him. 74 pounds wouldn't bother me in the least.
We've always been AI, but we got 2 outstanding up and coming bull calves that we are keeping this year.

He looks good to me. I started keeping some bulls back several years ago, for just that reason, it was getting expensive buying bulls all the time. For awhile I had a few registered Angus females and AI'd them with the purpose of raising my own bulls. Now I'm just holding back a bull calf or two out of any good cow registered or commercial. I'm only buying a bull now when I need some new blood in the herd.
Currently using a home raised 4 year old bull and bought a yearling this spring.

He looks good to me. I started keeping some bulls back several years ago, for just that reason, it was getting expensive buying bulls all the time. For awhile I had a few registered Angus females and AI'd them with the purpose of raising my own bulls. Now I'm just holding back a bull calf or two out of any good cow registered or commercial. I'm only buying a bull now when I need some new blood in the herd.
Currently using a home raised 4 year old bull and bought a yearling this spring.
I've kept 3 in tact to see how the develop. Going to loan them out for 2024 and see how they grow.

My eye has no clue how they mature, as far as going from a 800 lb calf to a mature bull.

We shall see.

Got a good one i think coming from Simme just in case they all end up terrible. Got caught with a dud a couple years ago... never again.

I've kept 3 in tact to see how the develop. Going to loan them out for 2024 and see how they grow.

My eye has no clue how they mature, as far as going from a 800 lb calf to a mature bull.

We shall see.

Got a good one i think coming from Simme just in case they all end up terrible. Got caught with a dud a couple years ago... never again.
Good pictures are essential...

Good pictures are essential...
I'm about afraid to put the home-based bulls up. One of them is very unique, and I'm thinking not in a good way. Lol. He's got a hell of a gut, and I do love gutty cattle. They all have real nice jewels. The other two are going to be solid enough I think. Once the Simme bull is standing next to them, I'd say I will be thinking differently.

Being raised on grass only has been interesting. Expecting them to start packing on muscle around 18 months. If I understand correctly.

Bulls, compared to heifers, are a solid 200 pounds heavier at the 12 month mark. All in good shape.

If I cam get some good pics, I'll put them up.

Latest posts