Real boys and there toys

Help Support CattleToday:

359pete

Reaction score
This could be my most favorite subject to talk about. It might be a close second to cattle. Big trucks is what drives this country, call me crazy but if I'm wrong someone please tell me. I've been in trucking my whole life. I'm 3rd generation. My grandpa was a cowman, he got my uncles involved in the cow trucking back in the 60's. My father got started when he came back home from college in the late 70's, Now I'm hauling those crazy critters from east to west, and back east. It's getting more and more difficult everyday to maintain what you have now and keep it without somebody trying to take from you.[Mainly the gov't] Does anyone have any of those same concerns? Does anyone have the same problems with trying to find good help, or is it just in the trucking department? :?:

With the price of desiel fuel what is and has been for while i don't i don't see how the Indepent and small trucking folks are making it. I have done custom dozer work for years, but the price of fuel and steel has convinced me my machines are betterof parked.

I also have a small excavating business and going to quit as soon as I work out. Cannot get help and insurance, bonding, fuel, parts, cost of new machines and age has made up my mind to quit. Raise cattle until I go busted.
I am seeing small business folding just about every day.

If you are a small operator you can not stay in business and be legal... Meaning if you follow all city, county, state, federal, and lets not forget osha and all laws, you could not even begin to break even, much less pay wages and over head. If your small you have to work 24-7. How are these Mexican Truckers [not demeaning any mexicans, so don't go there]Running our roads legally.

Back in the 70's I had 5 over the road trucks. 4 drivers and drove one myself.Finally figured it out that I was furnishing 4 people a job and myself a head ache. I finally sold my last piece of equipment in 82. Walked away with $2000 dollars in my pocket, debt free and felt like I was rich.
I know a lot of ya'll have been there, It's one of those things ya get into and can't see any possible way out of it. I guess you could say, I found all the glory there is to being a truck driver.

Cal

Latest posts