raising a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

If you are wanting to be able to lead him around or just be able to work with him easily, I would wean him early or at least start working with him as soon as possible. We have a young bull out here and man can he cock an attitude... :roll: for now he is not much to worry about, but I hate to see what he will be like when he is full grown. :shock:

I imagine you could get a lot of different answers to this question.

On my place I would leave him with momma till its time for vaccinations and then wean him, usually about 4-6months old at this time (provided momma is a good milker).
I run commercial animals and if they can't gain well on momma and hay then I don't want them as a bull.

Saltydawg":28v31nvi said:
On my place I would leave him with momma till its time for vaccinations and then wean him, usually about 4-6months old at this time (provided momma is a good milker).
If mama isn't a good milker you definitely don't want him for a herd bull.

la4angus":2mfeq5ld said:
Saltydawg":2mfeq5ld said:

If he is to be used as a "Terminal Sire", his milk genetic potential should not matter.

Wean him according to your pasture requirements and feed him enough (pasture and/or feed) for him reach his genetic potential without pushing him too hard.

If done correctly, you will probably have as much money invested in him as you would in buying a bull.

And sometimes, they just don't turn out to be what you expect.

MikeC":1o5i7tt4 said:
la4angus":1o5i7tt4 said:
Saltydawg":1o5i7tt4 said:

If done correctly, you will probably have as much money invested in him as you would in buying a bull.

And sometimes, they just don't turn out to be what you expect.

Please read the above posts, as these are knowledgable people.

My advice would be to sell him and buy something that you have some sort of confidence in to breed with. (Epd's phenotype, etc)