Question about a Beefmaster sale

Help Support CattleToday:

manaftergodsheart413

Reaction score
This is to all beefmaster breeders and people interested in the like but how would you people feel about an all female sale of open,bred heifers and pairs.Reason why I'm asking because a good friend of mine is a very prominent foundation beefmaster breeder and I'm trying to talk him to him about putting on a female sale after the bull sale in Overbrook Oklahoma(hour and half from shelton ranch) but we have to make sure we'd have enough people to come and buy the cattle before trying it.So tell me if you think it is a good or bad idea.

manaftergodsheart413":2u9gax0n said:
This is to all beefmaster breeders and people interested in the like but how would you people feel about an all female sale of open,bred heifers and pairs.Reason why I'm asking because a good friend of mine is a very prominent foundation beefmaster breeder and I'm trying to talk him to him about putting on a female sale after the bull sale in Overbrook Oklahoma(hour and half from shelton ranch) but we have to make sure we'd have enough people to come and buy the cattle before trying it.So tell me if you think it is a good or bad idea.
sure it will work. it takes three thing's... advertising,advertising and last but certainly not least more advertising... the lack of it will kill any sale

I would think AC summed it up ADVERTISE

Place an 8 1/2 x 11 poster at the local sale barns, talk to the auctioneer and ask them to announce it, put an ad in a local cattleman magazine, tell everyone you know and ask them to pass the word. Then next year you will do even better if you do the main thing,,,,,sell top quality animals

I have attended all types of sales in my short time back in this business and I have never seen a bred heifer/cow sale do bad. I have seen a few bull sales go bad because of drought but the replacement females seem to hold their own even through tough times.

manaftergodsheart413":1wq4m7td said:

I think it's a great idea. The majority of sales are for bulls. There isn't much emphasis put on the females (as far as sales go). It would be nice to visit a sale and be able to compare females (side-by-side) of the more prominent bulls in the breed...even daughters of the up and coming young sires. The problem is getting breeders to send their best heifers to the sale...especially when they're coming from a new sire at the ranch. The breeder will usually want to be the first to know that his bull is producing great progeny that produce great progeny. It's a two way street. I'd hate to sell my best heifer, and she go down the road and produce a herdsire (or two, or three) early in her lifetime. At the same time, it's great marketing, and the buyer's word of mouth will likely land more and more customers.

manaftergodsheart413":2xbvky87 said:
the best thing todo is have a BBUapproved sale.an advertise it in the beefmaster cowman.but have the best of everything bred an open heifers bred cows pairs an 3 in 1s.personally i think youd need atlest 60hd for a good sale.

Bigbull338 it will be a BBU approved sale.Thing is would you guys and other commercial cattleman come these will be females from top programs and they will be offered at a very reasonable price.We will advertise it to and try and make it as detailed as possible

manaftergodsheart413":hep7gy46 said:
Bigbull338 it will be a BBU approved sale.Thing is would you guys and other commercial cattleman come these will be females from top programs and they will be offered at a very reasonable price.We will advertise it to and try and make it as detailed as possible
yes if the sale was close to me id go to it.an yes id order a sale catalog.an i feel like youd have a good sale.as for the price of the cattle the auction will decide that.

Why not just consign cattle to an existing big BBU sale, like in Sulphur Springs? Does this guy in OK have that many head ? The cost for the facility, advertising, auctioneer, etc, might make it a little pricey...?

fourstates":1wv1z1z1 said:
Why not just consign cattle to an existing big BBU sale, like in Sulphur Springs? Does this guy in OK have that many head ? The cost for the facility, advertising, auctioneer, etc, might make it a little pricey...?

The breeder he's referring to has a herd that's good size. He sells several good bulls every year, and raises a lot of replacement heifers. I think this sell is about more that just that breeder, however. There's a group of breeders within about a 300 mile radius from north Texas that produce some of the finer Beefmaster animals available. I'd argue that most of the animals they're producing are 85-100% foundation Lasater genetics that look good AND PERFORM WELL.

I'll be excited to see a female sale with some of these good breeders.

There will be more than one consignor so the females will come from a few different herds. Some of the females will be polled and will be the very best you can find quality wise.

Excellent discussion thread... I think a good female sale will be supported quite well. At our Western States Beefmaster Breeders Association board meeting we were discussing our annual sale and quantities of bulls vs. females being offered as well as the age limits, etc. etc.

Advertising, as all have said, is a key element -- timing of advertising, publications, etc. etc.

The SEBBA (South-east) breeders group would be some members to talk with as they have been running some fantastic sales with maximum return to the consignors by limiting sales costs according to the figures they are publishing in the Beefmaster Cowman magazine.

Please keep us posted on how the organization of the sale and how the sale goes!

Latest posts