Put your best Herd Bull on the board!

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620":zpaf84zg said:
A question to the Longhorn people.

What is the end justification other than breeding stock for extra large horns? Is there an end market after the animal is slaughtered to justify the extra cost? What happens when no one else needs breeding stock? It seems like a never ending loop to me. Bigger horns so that they will sell for a better price, the better price justifies growing bigger horns and so on. There does not seem to be enough consumption (horns or beef) to justify the increasing price of breeding stock. Do the shows pay that well to make it worth while or is that just another way to sell breeding stock? I dont have anything against Longhorns. I have never been around them but I applaud the people who are keeping this heritage breed alive. I am just worried that it will all come crashing down like the llamma and ostrich business did. It was very hard to sell enough meat or eggs from an ostrich to pay for a $20,000 pair of breeding stock. Like I said I have not been around this business so please dont take offense to my comments (or being likened to bird farmers - sorry) if I am wrong about it. I would appreciate having someone explain it to me. :)

Can't answer all your questions..lol. However,

I don't think the Longhorn breed will ever end up like the Ostrich and Emu scam. Longhorns have been around in USA as "producing animals" for 500 years or so. While their price varies a lot with type, condition, genetics, body, horn, etc., they still command good prices via private treaty or other quality outlets. IMO the "Huge" horn length is a type of "fad" that realistically has a practical limit...just HOW long can a horn grow via selective breeding; and, when they get to a certain point does a producer have to have a "wide load" permit to transport them...lol.

Seriously though, I think there is a very practical limit to horns--"law of diminishing returns??".

Very colorful hides command a high price: Usually between about $750 and $1500 after tanned. Head/Horn mounts can have similar prices for taxidermist mounted units. Other "parts" of longhorns are sold as novelty items.

The "high dollar" longhorns (over $10,000) have limited buyers due to costs (e.g., $50K to $150K prices at auctions). Some of these expensive longhorns are often bought by "one-upmanship" buyers who speculate and/or like to brag about how much they paid for X longhorn. Am sure all the breeds have those expensive animals for one reason or another.

All in all, "our" longhorns often command several times the sale barn prices; and, 99% of ours are sold privately. Some 75% of our sales are the result of our website which depicts our animals and the quality and management of our facility.

Don't know if this info helps or not. ;-)

1848":1fa66240 said:
It's good to see that many of the bulls on here are actually owned!

LA, Do you actually use your bull natuarally or is he strictly collected and pen kept. Seems awful large to be a pureblood Angus, but that's just my opinion.
First Edition is pen kept at one of the partners ranch in Colorado and collected at Rocky Mountain Sire Service at Bennett Colorado. He is from a herd that had a reputation for the size of their cows.
1848":1fa66240 said:
How large are your cows? Have you intentionally increased the frame of your herd over the last 10 to 20 years?
Our cows are mostly 1400 to 1500 lb, and we haven't measured for a frame score, but I would say probaly about FS 5 to FS 6. Mostly the FS 5 give or take a little.

La4angus, what is his semen going for? And do you sell any cheaper with out Certificate? Any chance SEK Genetic Horizons is carrying some?

Also curious does the Angus website of Sires tell the Sires Frame score? I been thinking about some Legend semen or Traveler 6807 was not sure were to find Frame Scores on them.

here is my scrub bull I use. he is about 14 monthes old in this pic. about 1500 lbs
468n10LG.jpg

Here he is in his working clothes at about 3 years old and about 2100-2200 lbs
DSCN1527.jpg

1848":1jotsj5w said:
It's good to see that many of the bulls on here are actually owned!

LA, Do you actually use your bull natuarally or is he strictly collected and pen kept. Seems awful large to be a pureblood Angus, but that's just my opinion. How large are your cows? Have you intentionally increased the frame of your herd over the last 10 to 20 years? No offense intended here.

Aaron, Even if the Dan son you showed is a yearling, I wouldn't be posting pictures of a bull smaller or equal in size to you cows....it might offend another canadian breeder, and put all of you in a bad light! ;-) (just joking). I think SRR might get my drift though. :shock:

The Dan bull was 3 years old when that picture was taken. His sire was a bigger bull at 2200 lbs, but this bull got his mother's size. He is very moderate frame, not quite enough growth in the calves though. But I like the groups of calves because they all grow and fill out similarly, with most steers maxing out at a live weight of 1150-1200 lbs.

this is my jr. herd sire. I hope he passes on the numbers he posted as a calf. BW 82 lbs ww 808 yw 1340 sc 365 40.4 cm
13.7 rea and 3.9 IMF. he is about 18 months in this pic. He weighed about 1700 lbs the other day. He frooze semen at 11 months of age and his first ET calves are due before he will be 2 years old. not the best pic but oh well
DSC_0003.jpg

plbcattle":1og6ke0d said:
here is my scrub bull I use. he is about 14 monthes old in this pic. about 1500 lbs

Here he is in his working clothes at about 3 years old and about 2100-2200
Good looking Brangus bull. Is he one bred and raised by you? Which bull is he. Are you just breeding him to your cows or selling semen too? Bred to some straight bred Angus cows, he should make some nice keeping hfrs for the Deep South and Southwest where many producers need some Brahman blood in them to fight off the insects.

That is Lombardi Of brinks. I use him to back up the cows I AI or stick an egg in then turn him over them. I have sent him to the stud 3 times and we have sold out of semen within weeks each time of collection. I hate to admit it but I didn't raise either of those bulls pics. I have a bunch of heifers and bulls calves out of him that are very impressive> I was going to post some of his calves for critique. They are coming off test and ready for scan data to be collected.

aplusmnt":14a52ykt said:
la4angus":14a52ykt said:
Our herd bull at 2 years old

la4angus":14a52ykt said:
Aplusmnt, what kind of cross is he.

He is PB Simmental so I guess that would make him 7/8 Simmental and 1/8 Angus

Just enough Angus to trick them CAB people :lol:
Don't have to trick them. They just gotta have a 51% Black Hide and grade Hi Choice.

la4angus":2m8psith said:
aplusmnt":2m8psith said:
Our herd bull at 2 years old

Aplusmnt, what kind of cross is he.

He is PB Simmental so I guess that would make him 7/8 Simmental and 1/8 Angus

Just enough Angus to trick them CAB people :lol:
Don't have to trick them. They just gotta have a 51% Black Hide and grade Hi Choice.

51% ? So CAB beef can have 49% white on it and still be considered CAB? I guess I always assumed they would only take solid Black hided cattle or maybe as little as black baldy type markings.

aplusmnt":1xdf2p4m said:
So CAB beef can have 49% white on it and still be considered CAB?

Yes, or any other color for that matter, as long as 51% or more is black. They are also now taking, or soon will be taking, ANY color calf that has an AngusSource tag. This is a good thing, IMO. More quality cattle will qualify now, so you have a broader pool to choose from. Frankie or another Angus breeder would know a heckuva lot more than I do about it, though.

I have posted our bull before but will put him in again. First is as a yearling, then a four year old and then the rear end. He is Tarentaise

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

Schnurrbart":3sj06ann said:
I have posted our bull before but will put him in again. First is as a yearling, then a four year old and then the rear end. He is Tarentaise
Another good looking bull. After seeing all the junk bulls that has been posted it is hard to believe that there is this many top quality bulls among the Cattle Today subscribers.
Ya'll keep em coming.

Good pic Beefy; I know where you can sell 10 like that after the first of the year. Just don't try to collect from them first.

Latest posts