Pulling tractors?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
I am sure some of you are into or have been into pulling antique tractors. Tell me about it. I have a JD720 diesel that I pulled a couple times last year in farm stock but just bought a 1947 Massey Harris 44 six. More modified than really powered up but it will do for me to learn. Who else is into wasting money on old tractors? :dunce:

1982vett":33qumyvu said:
skyhightree1":33qumyvu said:
I want to be wasting money on old tractors does that count ?
LOL....just stop buying new. Sooner or later your wish will come true. :lol:

LMAO but all of my tractors are old sorta lol The only tractor I sank alot of money into was a MF 2705 which was my families first big new tractor in which I had it fully restored and gave to my family.

Mine is a little bit better condition than that. Actually it won several trophys last year with the previous owner. It will be two weeks before the first local tractor pull so I might just have to hook it to something big and see what happens.
Now I am looking for a duel wheel trailer that will haul 2 tractors. More waste of money. Wonder what the wife will say when I show it to her? Next year!
I can then say, Oh we have had that one for a year.

kenny thomas":2jiw4euy said:
I am sure some of you are into or have been into pulling antique tractors. Tell me about it. I have a JD720 diesel that I pulled a couple times last year in farm stock but just bought a 1947 Massey Harris 44 six. More modified than really powered up but it will do for me to learn. Who else is into wasting money on old tractors? :dunce:
Just need to get a Super M and you will be set. :lol2:
I've never done much, but have learned a lot about it from being around my Uncle who use to pull antiques around the south end of the state.
I would rather have a IH 766 black stripe to tinker with. :D

kenny thomas":2mu8u3mu said:

Rebuilt a couple of old one's and sold them.
One was a Ford 8N with a 4cyl Contential engine wouldn't pull a sick cat out of a culvert.
The other was my old 1967 Massey 135 should have never sold it.

I actually looked at and tried an M but if I had found a Super M for sale nearby I might have tried it.
I had to be different and this is the only Massey Harris 44 with a flathead 6 cyl in the area. Add to that it has been bored out and chromed some and it was ready to pull. Wheeley bars included. :cboy:

I have restored several in my life. I currently don't have one, and haven't since 2006. I've had the itch do an 8n for a while. I have never pulled one Ive done. I really like to just admire them when I finish them. I have done more Farmalls than anything else. Oh and I had an Avery once. I'm actually not very mechanically minded. I can tear them apart, I always have to have my neighbor put them back together. I enjoy the paint and sheet metal work. Tractors are what I learned on, and the only thing I've ever painted.

Its only modified so dont need over 1000lb of weight. Tractor only weighs about 4500 without the weights.
Bigfoot, I aint worth anything to fix them up but I have a very good mechanic that is. I took a 1957 JD720 diesel to him last week and will go back in a few weeks when its done. It should pull with the big boys even though it only has a little more horse power that the Massey Harris.