Tractors...

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not really partial to colors. I look at the condition and price of a particular tractor over what brand it is and do some research on the internet, you'll find a consensus about it on forums and stuff if it's a problem child.

Isn't much for good dealers of any sort in this area, I do most ordering online.

If you're okay with working on it now and then it's hard to beat some 70-80s iron. IH 06-66 series, JD 30-55s, older Massey's, etc. The older Ford's are really good tractors too.

For loader work you will want one with a hydro or shuttle trans.

I have a New Holland TC55. I bought it new in 2005. Never a tick of serious problems with it. In 2017 I bought a 1990 390 Massey. It is 3 times the tractor the TC55 is and cost my half the money. I feed 3x4x8 big square bales which weigh around 1,200 pounds. The NH will handle them but you need to take your time and be careful. With the Massey they are a piece of cake. I would shop for an older tractor in the 60-80 hp range. For me the one advantage the NH has over the Massey is the turning area. That NH will turn around in its own skin, while the Massey does take some space.

Speaking of tractors I have begun to research for another one myself. I bought a Case 120C 2 years ago with 800 hrs on it for $52k. I have seen several online with the same number of hrs in the same condition for $94-97k. I think I'll wait...

Speaking of tractors I have begun to research for another one myself. I bought a Case 120C 2 years ago with 800 hrs on it for $52k. I have seen several online with the same number of hrs in the same condition for $94-97k. I think I'll wait...

Might be time to sell and retire! LOL

Hard to go wrong with a kubota M7060 if buying new. We use ours for hay work mainly and unloading 1 ton bags of feed off the truck.

I have had good luck also with my JD 5105. Not as much hp as the kubota but will do whatever I need done. Plenty of weight and loader power.

Recently picked up this little guy for smaller work and being simple to work on. Sips fuel and has all kinds of power for a small tractor.

I am new to agriculture and at my current scale of operations do not NEED a big tractor. A subcompact would work except for haying operations (which I've hired out in the past). The issue is there are a lot of things, even on a small farm, where a big tractor is handy. We've committed to raising sheep and growing hay on our 35-acre farm and are looking into bigger land sometime down the road.

I was wondering if folks can give me an introduction to tractors. What makes a John Deere different than a New Holland or a Mahindra? We have all major brands available fairly close by. What considerations do folks give when purchasing? New Holland and Mahindra are closest, with the New Holland dealer being a large company with multiple locations in the area.

Was thinking about a smaller 40-45hp tractor with homestead hay package for around $18k that produces smaller round bales...but looking at the long term believe a Workmaster 75 or something similar, with square baling equipment, would be preferable for my purposes.
I've owned all three. My latest purchase was a 75hp Mahindra. It has ALL Steel parts (fenders, everything), does not have a regen process, has a beefy stick shift / clutch setup, and everything including the battery is really easy to get to. My New Holland (65hp) has been a good tractor but the plastic parts (fenders, etc.) break, the stick setup is plastic, it goes into regen mode always at an inconvenient time, and the lighting is nowhere near as good as the Mahindra. The Mahindra engine is louder by far. You have to get used to that. I'd consider a 65hp or 75hp model just to future proof yourself.

Try to leave the hay production to others if possible. The equipment is expensive and only used a few times per year. Buy a tractor that is big enough to handle the hay rolls that are produced in your area. You want to be safe and a 40 HP tractor won't easily handle the 4 x 5 1/2 rolls that most folks make these days. At least not with a front end loader. I prefer a 65 to 70 HP minimum.
As far as tractor brands go, its usually advised to stay with the big three. Deere, Case/ NH, Kubota. A tractor from one of these brands is usually very dependable with parts available and will hold its value if taken care of. A tractor from one of these three matters a lot at trade in time if you want something bigger down the road.
Also, you don't want to buy a tractor based upon service, you want to buy a tractor that needs the least amount of service. At least around my area, most service providers always seems to be overbooked whenever I am broken down, and don't have the parts I need in stock.

I always look for older, simpler equipment. I like easy and reliable.

My hay tractor is a Farmall 706 gasser, at least ten years older than me. Spear front and back, starts easy in cold weather. Keep a bale on the back and you can move mountains so to speak. I've never been stuck setting out hay, but I move my GoBob doubles every time I feed to spread the wealth.

Everybody likes shiny paint, I like money in my pocket.
I use to buy old and give it shiny paint.. I let a JD 4430 get away from me that was in fantastic shape ,couple years ago,.. barn kept..cab ,air ,FEL..

I fell into the Mahindra tractor thing several years back.
First let me say mine held up pretty good but had some wiring gremlins.

The real problem came when I went to trade it for another tractor. The local JD NH and Kubota dealers wouldn't even make me a offer on it. Just said they had no interest in trading for a Mahindra.

So if you get one keep in mind your probably gonna take a beating on it if you decide to sell or trade.

A

The real problem came when I went to trade it for another tractor. The local JD NH and Kubota dealers wouldn't even make me a offer on it. Just said they had no interest in trading for a Mahindra.

So if you get one keep in mind your probably gonna take a beating on it if you decide to sell or trade.
All dealers in my area will call a used tractor jockey and ask What will you give me for a tractor I am trading for then lower their offer on the deal so they make five or six hundred dollars on the tractor you are trading. You will never see your tractor you traded on their lot.

When I get through with them the tractor is ready for the scrap iron dealer.

I'm a bit confused. I read the farm is 35 acres. How is grazing cattle on 35 acres going to pay for a 50000 tractor?

I didn't read anywhere about grazing cattle or how they were going to pay for it. I might of missed it though.

I'm a bit confused. I read the farm is 35 acres. How is grazing cattle on 35 acres going to pay for a 50000 tractor?
Hard to pay for much overhead off 35 acres. Everyone has to determine how comfortable they want their work to be. Although a tractor is an asset so the operations really just pays for maintenance and depreciation.

OP said he was hoping for more land in the future. I think if someone wants to grow, some decent equipment helps, especially if you want to lease land.

Last edited:
Hard to pay for much overhead off 35 acres. Everyone has to determine how comfortable they want their work to be. Although a tractor is an asset so the operations really just pays for maintenance and depreciation.

OP said he was hoping for more land in the future. I think if someone wants to grow, some decent equipment helps, especially if you want to lease land.
Didn't mean someone couldn't buy any tractor they wanted. Just thought folks might want to consider the financial aspects. I spent six months looking and got a 1/3 discount on my Kubota, but even 160 acres in Texas won't even pay for the tractor, much less the haying equipment…

I use to buy old and give it shiny paint.. I let a JD 4430 get away from me that was in fantastic shape ,couple years ago,.. barn kept..cab ,air ,FEL..

Here's the massey we got, 3500 hours, runs like a top, gave it a coat of quality automotive paint and it's held up real good.. the decals on the other hand.. not so much, they're peeling off GRRRR

20170320_161223s.jpg

Yes, this is correct. I want to grow, and plan to buy a tractor one time. Of note, I am well into middle age, fully disabled but one stubborn SOB, and am approaching farming/ranching as an opportunity to enjoy the years I have left, to learn, and to perhaps hand this off to one of my children. Whether equipment pays for itself is immaterial, as my costs to start the farm up from scratch are substantial and my timeline is shorter than if I started young. The farm will likely never pay off what I invest into it. This is a lifestyle choice for me. Any of us could end up in a wheelchair tomorrow, and I don't want to say I never tried the ag lifestyle because I wrote myself off due to disability.

Perhaps I am not understanding the financial aspects. I cut 300 regular sized square bales on 3 acres of unused ground in July for $1.25 apiece. Those bales could be sold for $10 apiece. That's $2625 profit. OR, I could hang onto them to avoid the cost of buying hay for my sheep this winter. Maybe someone should educate me on why a tractor can't pay for itself over time. It won't happen quickly, but I have more acres I could hay. Also opens up opportunities to make some cash on the side haying for other people. Also allows me to maintain my property (haha). Perhaps there are some tax breaks in there as well.

Latest posts