Tractors...

Help Support CattleToday:

Buying/selling stockers here is tough as the sale barn to sell to is 6 hours away and even the nearest to buy from is 5 hours away.

Our winters might be harsh but we dont have terrible droughts, fires, tornados, hurricanes, oppressive summer heat, etc and have cheap land and taxes. We had the worst drought in our history "here" last year and I still made a 60% hay crop and still grazed cows May to December.

I'll keep on making and feeding hay "unprofitably" and use income from the losing endeavor to pay for all the land and equipment as well as day to day living expenses. Haha
What's cheap for land?

How do you market your cattle? You're doing really good to pay for all of that with them. Good for you to figure out a way to make it work so well. As roc said above, interesting operation.

500-700 per acre for farmable land is the norm. 2 years ago I bought this 77 acre piece with 2400sqft house with 2 car garage, a 36x100 heated shop, and 24x100 cattle lean too for 120k.

My feeders go on a semi with a bunch of other locals and head 6.5 hours to Iowa to the sale barn. I sell a few steers across my scale at market price to some locals alsom

500-700 per acre for farmable land is the norm. 2 years ago I bought this 77 acre piece with 2400sqft house with 2 car garage, a 36x100 heated shop, and 24x100 cattle lean too for 120k.

My feeders go on a semi with a bunch of other locals and head 6.5 hours to Iowa to the sale barn. I sell a few steers across my scale at market price to some locals alsom
Sounds like you got a steal.

Where are you located? That's quite a deal...at least not finding that here in part of MO unless the land is on a toxic dump and the house is falling in (ha! we're doing a full renovation for that very reason but initial purchase price was low!)

UP of Michigan. 5 miles south of the Lake Superior, beyond that Canada. Land of 16+ feet of winter snowfall and summers that are probably cooler and wetter than a lot of you guys winters.

Latest posts