Tractors on roads...

Help Support CattleToday:

In Oklahoma. I asked a state trooper if I'm better off staying in my lane with heavy equipment or trying to stay over as far as I can and keep most of the tractor out of the actual lane. He said to stay in your lane (not cross center) and you're better off legally. Otherwise if someone gets to pass and doesnt quite clear they can claim you were not in the lane more in the ditch. So I stay in my lane and when possible and safe, I pull over to let the traffic pass. Kind of makes me feel like I'm leading a parade at times but I dont get too worked up about the one finger waving. The weekenders from Tulsa are well known for their impatience.

Brute 23 said:
I wont hardly take a tractor down a main road any more. If you do, definitely dont move over because they will never tap the brakes. Stay in your lane and make them slow down and then wait to pass. Having another vehicle with flashes and stuff helps also.

Same here. If I get too far onto the shoulder, the knuckleheads will try to pass with a car in the oncoming lane, way too close for comfort. I take up the whole lane now.

I hate it, every time I hit the highway it seems like there's at least one close call with some idiot, but with the way our properties are spread out and how crappy and steep some of these gravel roads are make it impossible to stay away from the blacktop.

Had one guy pass me in a double yellow as I was trying to turn left. My front tire was inches from the side of his car. Had another guy pull up beside me, gave the #1 gesture, and went about his way. Guess that 10 seconds I took from him was real precious.

Not a tractor situation but I have a 10 bale inline hay trailer. Some places when I turn right I have to get completely in the left lane. I can't tel you how many times someone has tried to pass me on the inside. And my blinkers work! I always watch closet bc I can see it coming. And this ain't in Detroit. This is in rural GA where folks are supposed to know better.

So I went thru San Antonio with the cattle trailer this weekend and I will never do it again. Between people pulling out in front of you, cutting in front of you at lights, trying to pass while lanes are merging it was nuts. I put 2 cars in the grass because lanes were merging and they were trying to haul ass around me. I just kept moving over. I was banking they liked their cars a whole lot more than I like that trailer. There were 5 or 6 cars in the left lane and no one in my lane (the right) and the light turned red. I was shutting it down to come to a stop at the light and 3 of them decided to switch lanes right in front of me and take away 75% of my stopping room. I laid on the horn and had to go in to the turn lane to stop.

The craziest thing though was between Luling and China Grove a guy was moving his tractor and baler down the road. Its 2 lanes each way and he is in the far right lane. This is like a 50mph area with stop lights. I moved over to go around him and as I get close I see a black car hauling butt around my right side and I'm thinking there is no way they can stop in time so I slam on the brakes because I think they are about to hit. The car dives between me and the baler and how it did not hit one of us I do not know. To top it off there was another black car following and when the one dove between us the other had to hit the shoulder and go around on the right side... so they basically split the tractor on each side doing in excess of 70mph. If the guy on the tractor did not mess his pants he had cojones of steel.

Just two days ago I saw a guy I know moving his tractor down the main highway with his son on the cab. He had to cross a bridge and I gave him plenty of room to cross. As I went by hes driving and talking on the phone like it's no big deal.

I know people think they are safe in those big tractors but from experience, and if you do the math, put enough speed behind a little car and they will knock you right off the road and you dont have all the structure, air bags, and seat belts like they do. Make it a big truck or 18 wheeler and your odds are slim to none.

After that mess...screw their meat shortage, fuel shortage, water shortage and what ever else problems they have in that cesspool. Build a fence around that mess and let them starve themselves out. Talk about biting the hand that literally feeds them.

Brute 23 said:
After that mess...screw their meat shortage, fuel shortage, water shortage and what ever else problems they have in that cesspool. Build a fence around that mess and let them starve themselves out. Talk about biting the hand that literally feeds them.

Now Brute. Everyone knows the unlimited supply of food comes from the grocery store :lol2:

Brute 23 said:
So I went thru San Antonio with the cattle trailer this weekend and I will never do it again. Between people pulling out in front of you, cutting in front of you at lights, trying to pass while lanes are merging it was nuts. I put 2 cars in the grass because lanes were merging and they were trying to haul be nice around me. I just kept moving over. I was banking they liked their cars a whole lot more than I like that trailer. There were 5 or 6 cars in the left lane and no one in my lane (the right) and the light turned red. I was shutting it down to come to a stop at the light and 3 of them decided to switch lanes right in front of me and take away 75% of my stopping room. I laid on the horn and had to go in to the turn lane to stop.

The craziest thing though was between Luling and China Grove a guy was moving his tractor and baler down the road. Its 2 lanes each way and he is in the far right lane. This is like a 50mph area with stop lights. I moved over to go around him and as I get close I see a black car hauling butt around my right side and I'm thinking there is no way they can stop in time so I slam on the brakes because I think they are about to hit. The car dives between me and the baler and how it did not hit one of us I do not know. To top it off there was another black car following and when the one dove between us the other had to hit the shoulder and go around on the right side... so they basically split the tractor on each side doing in excess of 70mph. If the guy on the tractor did not mess his pants he had cojones of steel.

Just two days ago I saw a guy I know moving his tractor down the main highway with his son on the cab. He had to cross a bridge and I gave him plenty of room to cross. As I went by hes driving and talking on the phone like it's no big deal.

I know people think they are safe in those big tractors but from experience, and if you do the math, put enough speed behind a little car and they will knock you right off the road and you dont have all the structure, air bags, and seat belts like they do. Make it a big truck or 18 wheeler and your odds are slim to none.

Oh my God!!! This is to much I can't even read it all!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol: :lol:

😅🤣😂😭 I'm dying!!!!

I have about got hit twice in the last few years turning into my road. A few hundred yards before you get to my road there is a hill to come over and people want to pass. Both times someone is behind me in my truck signaling the turn and tractor signal is on. Idiots have about hit me in the side twice trying to pass as I am turning. I have gotten to the point if no traffic is coming from the opposite direction I move over so they can't try to pass but last time a guy decided to cut in between me the the wife in the truck behind me. All for someone to try to save a few seconds.

I would like to share an experience I had several years ago. My wife and I were on the road about dusky dark and going into town to have a meal. We were traveling on the road when this pickup passed us and the driver slid his back window over and threw his empty beer can into the bed of the truck. We did not follow behind the driver that was going at a breakneck speed. He run up behind a person with a bale of hay on the tractor and in his lane. This driver pulled out to pass and sideswiped a car with a young man driving it. We stopped to help if we could and this young man had part of his skull taken off and you could see the brain. This was in the time frame when no cell phones were available. We went to the next town about five miles away and asked a service attendant to call someone that there was a bad wreak. It took about 45 minutes to an hour for the volunteer fire department to respond. The helicopter was called and the young man was airlifted to the nearest trauma center that was 65 miles away. He lived a short while but died when taken off of life support. Now who was at fault here.

I was bringing my tractor home from the hay field this afternoon on a 2-lane FM road, and some idiot passed me going uphill. If there had been someone coming in the opposite direction it would have killed everyone big enough to die.

Oh I farm in two pretty busy roads I get honked at flipped off sworn at not much you can do. I have just as much right on the road as anyone else I figure. I always wave the people down that flip me off to have a discussion with but they never seem to wanna stop lol

Latest posts