~pull up a chair... and come on in~

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth":9widwond said:
This may be a little to politically charged for this tread. If it is I won't hold it against the moderators if they delete it.

Today at a company Christmas dinner I was given a piece of pecan pie. I love pecan pie it may be my favorite pie. This one had chopped pecans instead of whole half's. The pie was ok but I much prefer whole to chopped pecans on pie.
What do y'all prefer whole or chopped?

I realize how personal and emotional this subject is but I would like everyone to remain civil in this discussion.

Chopped pecans ..WTH :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: Give me whole pecans but as high as they are you almost need a second mortgage to buy them.

Deepsouth":2xo2ke0k said:
This may be a little to politically charged for this tread. If it is I won't hold it against the moderators if they delete it.

Today at a company Christmas dinner I was given a piece of pecan pie. I love pecan pie it may be my favorite pie. This one had chopped pecans instead of whole half's. The pie was ok but I much prefer whole to chopped pecans on pie.

I realize how personal and emotional this subject is but I would like everyone to remain civil in this discussion.

So let me get this straight. You were GIVEN a FREE pie and your complaining because the said FREE pie was not to your specifications . :roll: for the record I like pecan pie and anyone that wants to give me one does not have to worry about me complaining about the pecans.

It might sound weird but I can't stand pecan pie or chocolate chip cookies :yuck: . The smell of hot fudge will almost make me rail.

A Professor in college suggested we isolate the gene that makes me think chocolate is foul and put it in a diet pill. :lol:

Last week my daughter and I took a young tomcat into the the vet to get neutered. He is a farm cat we've really taken a liking to. When we picked him up he was all drugged up and we were given a cone to put on his head to keep him from licking the operation site. I know I am a simpleton, but I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as when we got home and I was watching my daughter put the cone on the drugged cats head and then the cat trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Priceless.

M5farm":bhe4ad8z said:
Deepsouth":bhe4ad8z said:

So let me get this straight. You were GIVEN a FREE pie and your complaining because the said FREE pie was not to your specifications . :roll: for the record I like pecan pie and anyone that wants to give me one does not have to worry about me complaining about the pecans.

I was not complaining! I said that the pie was ok. I was just making an observation that I prefer the whole pecans to the chopped.

I was afraid that this subject was going to be to controversial for this thread. Maybe I should delete my post. But then again this is about the third time that you've tried to disrupt this otherwise peaceful thread so maybe I'll take a chance and let it ride over night and hope it doesn't blow up.

Speaking of pecans, I was doing some light pruning in the kitchen orchard and saw a car parked out on the road on the other side of the fence where there is always a hand-full of pecans that the harvesters miss. I penned up the dogs and went out to open the gate so they could come up in the orchard where the gleanings are better but they saw me coming and took off in a hurry. I guess I should have let them keep thinking they were stealing them. :mrgreen:

A buddy of mine bought some feeder pigs for his grandkids to feed out and have few chores after school and learn about where food comes from.
He had one prolapse so he carried it to the vet to have it fixed
The vet gave the pig anesthesia but it didn't effect the pig at all so she hit him with another dose and knocked him out
She fixed him up and he paid out and went to load the pig and leave but the pig was still out.
He picked it up and told her he thought the pig was dead but she said it just had heavy dose of anesthesia and would come out of it.
He got home and by then the pig was sure enough dead and a little stiff
He called and told the vet figuring at the least she would tear up his check and just wave the bill
She said oh well that happens sometimes you win some you lose some
He said he felt pretty stupid for not insisting she check the pig before he left knowing dang well it was dead before he ever left
He said he'd been money ahead to just shoot him to begin with

I make a delicious pecan pie. I always chop the pecans if I am taking the pie to someone. If I am making one just for my husband and me, I leave them whole. Does not make much difference to us. I cannot make anything with pecans when my daughter is home, as she is highly allergic to them.

Deepsouth":25ma1kwt said:

Whole by far, but I sure won't turn down one with chopped. I also like my pulled pork pulled and not shredded.

Larry

Named'em Tamed'em":3k7x4dw1 said:
Cross 7 ,prolapse on pigs is pretty easy to fix with out a vet. Sim would know better.

I worked for a vet when I was a young man
We used a syringe case and the green castrating bands
If I had known we could have killed the pig ourself :D

cross_7":13a22068 said:
A buddy of mine bought some feeder pigs for his grandkids to feed out and have few chores after school and learn about where food comes from.
The vet gave the pig anesthesia but it didn't effect the pig at all so she hit him with another dose and knocked him out
She fixed him up and he paid out and went to load the pig and leave but the pig was still out.
He picked it up and told her he thought the pig was dead but she said it just had heavy dose of anesthesia and would come out of it.
He called and told the vet figuring at the least she would tear up his check and just wave the bill
He said he felt pretty stupid for not insisting she check the pig before he left knowing dang well it was dead before he ever left
Now that is a bunch of hog shitz sending a dead pig home with him! I think I would have had a few words for that vet. And I darn sure wouldn't be taking anything back to her!

branguscowgirl":3slw9fti said:
cross_7":3slw9fti said:
Now that is a bunch of hog shitz sending a dead pig home with him! I think I would have had a few words for that vet. And I darn sure wouldn't be taking anything back to her!

Life is too short to get bent for such a small thing
It makes for a good laugh though

Edit he had a heifer having trouble and couldn't get the calf pulled and she came out and reached in and maneuvered the calf around and got him out and it lived
She's did a heck of a job

Just an fyi. Our pups are our family too. We bought pet insurance so we are never forced to make a decision on money basis.
I researched a couple of pet insurance plans, and they just didn't cover most of the big ticket stuff that I have seen happen. Like my lab with hip dysplasia. They are great for routine "wellness" stuff, but very limited on most of the serious or genetic stuff. It just didn't pencil out for me.
So my animals will always get medical care, even if I have to eat beans for the next 5 years. I could use a diet anyway. :lol:

Let's call it Christmas melancholy. It's such a money making racket, great for the economy I know but has lost it's true meaning to many. It all seems sort of frivolous...

I"m not much of any holiday person.. I do enjoy Christmas, but I get SO SICK of garbage Christmas music being funneled into my ears everywhere I go from Halloween to Valentines... I get an overload of it and find its a dilution of the Christmas spirit, not an enhancement of it.

Alison.. I would have a hard time feeling christmasy when it's warm out.. do you even have a cool if not cold season? MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!.. did that help?
I'm with you on the money making racket that it's become. Hence why I bought all my gifts this year at Value Village, pawn shops and second hand stores!

Latest posts