puberty of herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 reg. hereford heifers. I've searched the internet for information on when they should come into heat. I can't find any anywhere. Any one out know when you should see the first signs?

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Depending on how good they've had life you could see the first heat anywhere from 6 months to about 14 months, if they really were shortchanged on groceries it could be even later.

Typically my heifers start cycling at around 9-10 months.

jkwilson

Reaction score
KNERSIE":2ascjyek said:
Depending on how good they've had life you could see the first heat anywhere from 6 months to about 14 months, if they really were shortchanged on groceries it could be even later.

Pretty well my experience, except for the heifer I lost when she calved at 13 months.

alexfarms

Reaction score
jkwilson":24jljnqm said:
KNERSIE":24jljnqm said:

Pretty well my experience, except for the heifer I lost when she calved at 13 months.
A heifer that calved at 13 months? wow. Too bad you lost her. Very unusual, I would think. 19 months is about the earliest we have had one calve, i believe. There is usually one or two cycling around 8 months every year, I have even gotten a couple of them accidently exposed to a bull at that age, but none ever conceived.
john

Mat Man

Reaction score
I had 1/2 jersey-1/2 angus heafer to get out of a holding pen with other heafers.She went through 3 fence to get to the bull.Got her back up the same day.The next weekend give a shot of lute.
9 months later we pulled a calf from her.Lucky thay both made it.17 months old when calved.

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
They will start cycling before you probably want to breed them...most people wait and time it so they calve around two years...dealing with a young pregnant heifer can be difficult and you can lose either the heifer or the calf pretty easily.

cfpinz

Reaction score
Had a 15mo angus heifer calve last year, got bred to a straight simmi bull. Had to pull it, hard for an 800 lb heifer to spit out a 97lb calf.

3waycross

Reaction score
Not sure about Herefords but our Gelbvieh/Shorthorn crosses have been cycling pretty regularily around 4 ro 5 months.

Had a vet tell me they had seen Gelbvieh cycle as early as 3 1/2 months in a study they did at vet school.

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
Mat Man":1ln5bptf said:
I had 1/2 jersey-1/2 angus heafer to get out of a holding pen with other heafers.She went through 3 fence to get to the bull.Got her back up the same day.The next weekend give a shot of lute.
9 months later we pulled a calf from her.Lucky thay both made it.17 months old when calved.

Wait for 30 days and you will get better results from the lut

Latest posts