puberty of herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

Baldie Maker

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 reg. hereford heifers. I've searched the internet for information on when they should come into heat. I can't find any anywhere. Any one out know when you should see the first signs?

Depending on how good they've had life you could see the first heat anywhere from 6 months to about 14 months, if they really were shortchanged on groceries it could be even later.

Typically my heifers start cycling at around 9-10 months.

KNERSIE":2ascjyek said:
Depending on how good they've had life you could see the first heat anywhere from 6 months to about 14 months, if they really were shortchanged on groceries it could be even later.

Pretty well my experience, except for the heifer I lost when she calved at 13 months.

jkwilson":24jljnqm said:
KNERSIE":24jljnqm said:

Pretty well my experience, except for the heifer I lost when she calved at 13 months.
A heifer that calved at 13 months? wow. Too bad you lost her. Very unusual, I would think. 19 months is about the earliest we have had one calve, i believe. There is usually one or two cycling around 8 months every year, I have even gotten a couple of them accidently exposed to a bull at that age, but none ever conceived.
john

I had 1/2 jersey-1/2 angus heafer to get out of a holding pen with other heafers.She went through 3 fence to get to the bull.Got her back up the same day.The next weekend give a shot of lute.
9 months later we pulled a calf from her.Lucky thay both made it.17 months old when calved.

They will start cycling before you probably want to breed them...most people wait and time it so they calve around two years...dealing with a young pregnant heifer can be difficult and you can lose either the heifer or the calf pretty easily.

Had a 15mo angus heifer calve last year, got bred to a straight simmi bull. Had to pull it, hard for an 800 lb heifer to spit out a 97lb calf.

Not sure about Herefords but our Gelbvieh/Shorthorn crosses have been cycling pretty regularily around 4 ro 5 months.

Had a vet tell me they had seen Gelbvieh cycle as early as 3 1/2 months in a study they did at vet school.

Mat Man":1ln5bptf said:
I had 1/2 jersey-1/2 angus heafer to get out of a holding pen with other heafers.She went through 3 fence to get to the bull.Got her back up the same day.The next weekend give a shot of lute.
9 months later we pulled a calf from her.Lucky thay both made it.17 months old when calved.

Wait for 30 days and you will get better results from the lut

Had the vet check both of my heifers today and he said they are open and have all the right parts! :cboy: