Protein tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I've used protein tubs in the past and while the cattle seemed to enjoy them I'm not sure how much benefit I got out of them. Currently my cattle get free choice hay, pasture, and mineral. I also bucket feed them a little each week to keep them coming up and into the pen. I've considered using a liquid tub as well but didn't know if it was worth the cost or not. My cattle are all currently in very good shape with no health problems. My gut tells me to leave well enough alone but I'm always looking to improve. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Kyle

This time of the year when we have plenty of grazing putting out tubs or liquid feed is a waste of time and money. They simply don't need it. Later on when grass gets tuff and loses most of it's nutritional value you can use either to help maintain body condition and encourage them to eat the low quality grass and/or hay.

TexasBred":q7axrxhr said:
This time of the year when we have plenty of grazing putting out tubs or liquid feed is a waste of time and money. They simply don't need it. Later on when grass gets tuff and loses most of it's nutritional value you can use either to help maintain body condition and encourage them to eat the low quality grass and/or hay.

TB, I do agree with your advice on when and why to feed tubs.

But in view of the recent grass tetany discussions, a hi-mag tub can be the most sure-fire way to get mag into those cows.

Especially at this time of year when other methods might fail to produce the desired results.

TexasBred":3foi0093 said:
True...seems we never have a problem with grass tetany except when turned in on wheat or rye.

Grass tetany problems here are usually associated with tame fast growing cool season grasses like crested wheatgrass.

We already had good subsoil moisture. After the recent rain/snow, crested is going to jump with sunshine and high temps in the 50s and 60's forecast for the next week.

A lot of pasture here is still predominantly native buffalo grass sod, which is later and a lot slower coming on.

TexasBred":2eadrs9s said:
True...seems we never have a problem with grass tetany except when turned in on wheat or rye.

Grass tetany problems here are usually associated with tame fast growing cool season grasses like crested wheatgrass.

We already had good subsoil moisture. After the recent rain/snow, crested is going to jump with sunshine and high temps in the 50s and 60's forecast for the next week.

A lot of pasture here is still predominantly native buffalo grass sod, which is later and a lot slower coming on.

Latest posts