Protective Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria":2v8oe3ay said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":2v8oe3ay said:
Victoria":2v8oe3ay said:
I'm with the others that say read aloud. Also chew gum. A cow chews her cud only when relaxed. If you chew your cud (gum) they see that as a sign that you are relaxed and they will relax more too.

yeah i bet that will work :roll: but what if you cant chew gum & run for your life at the same time :?:

I'm talking about a cow that doesn't trust you, not one that is trying to actively kill you and yes it does help with the skittish. It's part of speaking their language.
Somehow I think you could probably chew gum and run for your life at the same time if necessary. ;-)[/quote

NOW I AM WORRIED BECAUSE IT APPEARS THAT YOU ARE SERIOUS :roll:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":jofris2g said:

Now I hope you are not serious Roadhog. :shock: Because if you are you should probably be aware of the fact that Victoria is one very experienced and knowledgable cattlewoman. If you read any of her past posts you will see she gives some very sound advice. She also has a good sense of humour and makes it pretty obvious when she is serious or joking.

dun":2z53yk5v said:
But I'm one of those warped people that would rather hang around with cows then most people and find being around them to be better then booze or dope at making me feel better.

Hear, Hear Dun. Amazing how fast just sitting out with the cows and enjoying their presence can make you feel better isn't it! Maybe we could figure out a way to market it as "Nature's Prozac" or something of the kind. Like you, the older I get, the more I realize that I like most of my cows better than many of the people I meet (Hope that doesn't mean I'm getting senile).

novatech":zcsoeb6g said:
In my cattle it will last about 2 months and then it is back to normal.

2 months? :shock: I don't think so! I'm willing to give them 1-2 weeks to indulge their over-protectiveness, but that is it!

PS Left out a vital part - as long as they are not actively trying to kill me. Sorry for the oversight. :oops:

msscamp":23myulq5 said:
novatech":23myulq5 said:

2 months? :shock: I don't think so! I'm willing to give them 1-2 weeks to indulge their over-protectiveness, but that is it!
i got a cow that hates dogs.an if the dog is around she charge the dog everytime.so i watch her bigtime.when her calf was born the calf would come up to me.an she would stand an watch me an the calf.but never made a run at me.she is a good momma.

bigbull338":21q4x0q4 said:
msscamp":21q4x0q4 said:
novatech":21q4x0q4 said:

i got a cow that hates dogs.an if the dog is around she charge the dog everytime.so i watch her bigtime.when her calf was born the calf would come up to me.an she would stand an watch me an the calf.but never made a run at me.she is a good momma.

I'm not a big believer in using dogs for working cattle - too many coyotes around here, too many cows that can't tell the difference between dogs and coyotes, and too many dogs that don't do anything except excite the cows. I have no doubt that there are good working dogs out there, but I have yet to meet one.

On cows that just calved, my Dad always said to keep the calf between you and the cow. Well that doesn't always work. Had one that stomped a calf just to get to me. After a couple of weeks the cow was fine along with the calf.

I pretty much know which cows I can tag their calves at birth without getting into a mess and which ones to leave be. For the ones I can;t tag rightaway I wait until after spring workup (spring calveing) and tag the calf with the ear tag I think is the right one for that calf. We just use a sequential numbered tag on calves until they are weaned. After we're done working I just keep an eye on the calf and see who if nurses. If I have the tag number I just reasign the number to the proper calf. Solid colored calves can be a challenge at times to get them right when they're coming through the chute.

bigbull338":3bapbbas said:
msscamp":3bapbbas said:
novatech":3bapbbas said:

None of my cattle have ever charged me. They do let me know I will not get within 20 feet of their calf. If I actually grabed the calf I do not know what would happen, and I,m not going to test them. To weigh the calf I drive up between the calf and momma and have someone jump out, grab the calf and weigh in the back of the truck with a portable scale. The calf is the put back on the ground on the opposite side from the cow.
The cow that takes 2 months is normally one of the most gentle cows in the herd, always wanting to be scratched, and one of the best quality cows I have. I have another cow of the same breed with a 3 day old that let me scratch the calf yesterday, and I can rarely scratch the momma. So given this I have deducted it must be some genetic or hormonal thing built into the cattle. Some breeds more than others.

MistyMorning":pjb8fr06 said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":pjb8fr06 said:

Now I hope you are not serious Roadhog. :shock: Because if you are you should probably be aware of the fact that Victoria is one very experienced and knowledgable cattlewoman. If you read any of her past posts you will see she gives some very sound advice. She also has a good sense of humour and makes it pretty obvious when she is serious or joking.

YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT IF YOU STAND IN THE PASTURE CHEWING GUM THAT THE COW WILL NOTICE & BECOME YOUR FRIEND IF SHE THINKS YOU ARE GOING TO MESS WITH HER CALF ? I'LL WATCH FOR BOTH YOUR CAREFLIGHT REPORTS. :heart: P.S.-OFF & ON DURING THE LAST 30 YEARS WHILE I HAVE BEEN BREAKING CATTLE TO SHOW I HAVE PROBABLY CHEWED GUM AT LEAST 75 % OF THE TIME ,I DONT BELIEVE THAT THEY WERE WATCHING. :stop:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":e5ixne4y said:
MistyMorning":e5ixne4y said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":e5ixne4y said:

YOU REALLY BELIEVE THAT IF YOU STAND IN THE PASTURE CHEWING GUM THAT THE COW WILL NOTICE & BECOME YOUR FRIEND IF SHE THINKS YOU ARE GOING TO MESS WITH HER CALF ? I'LL WATCH FOR BOTH YOUR CAREFLIGHT REPORTS. :heart: P.S.-OFF & ON DURING THE LAST 30 YEARS WHILE I HAVE BEEN BREAKING CATTLE TO SHOW I HAVE PROBABLY CHEWED GUM AT LEAST 75 % OF THE TIME ,I DONT BELIEVE THAT THEY WERE WATCHING. :stop:

I don't know so much about chewing gum with cattle, but it's probably a lot more then just walking up to a cow and chewing gum. I know for a 100% fact that chewing (gum or the act of chewing) will calm a horse. But it's not just walking up to a crazy horse and chew and things are all better. It's your actions while chewing. If a horse is upset or scared I will watch it out of the corner of my eye at all times, but not look at it, (like a preditor) directly. I'll keep my eyes toward the ground and slump my shoulders, turn my side to them and start to chew and take a big sigh. All horse signs of being relaxed and at ease.... 100% sure it works with scared horses, not a killer horse. It may be the same in a way with cattle, I would think relaxed movements. We are preditors so no direct eye contact, and a non threatening posture. But as had been said before always Know where the animals are and have an exit plan.

Alan

HEREFORD ROADHOG":1xd6wb7y said:
MistyMorning":1xd6wb7y said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":1xd6wb7y said:

I am quite serious and this is why.
One of the biggest mistakes people make when dealing with cattle is to unconciously act as a threat (a predator), especially with a skittish cow. They will look directly at her and assume a position that to a cow resembles fight or flight. Then they keep their heads up and look at the cow the whole time to keep an eye on her - often not speaking and keeping their mouth clenched. All of these are aggresive signs to a cow.
My suggestion of chewing gum was after I agreed with others about spending time sitting reading or talking to them. I didn't not say "Go chew gum and all will be solved", that would be stupid. What I said was while you are going into the area, keeping a safe distance, sitting and reading to the animal, chew gum as well. If she is that skittish of a cow, she will notice you chewing because she will not take her eyes off you. Chewing in the cow world is a sign of relaxation. Cows do not chew their cud and charge at the same time, so she won't expect you to either. Cows notice more about body language than people give them credit for.

I have used the method of sitting in a corral with a book, a sandwich and a pack of gum and a lot of hours. An oat bucket never hurts either. It does wonders on a scared cow. We got one last year that ran every time you walked into her space. I spent a lot of time just hanging out with her. When it came time to weigh the calf I walked up tagged it and put it on the scale. She didn't run, charge or do anything stupid. She doesn't even stand up if I walk within three feet of her. The method works with scared animals. Some I've worked with become pattable, some are always a little skittish but they can be dealt with.

Now if Wisteriea Farms comes back on here and says the cow charged her I won't be telling her to chew gum and hang out in her pasture. That is not a scared cow, that becomes a killer cow. There is a difference and my methods to deal with it are different. A killer cow is shipped. No questions. I don't have the patience or facilities to deal with a cow hunting me. My cows can (and do) charge dogs, strangers and predators but they don't charge me. The few who have are gone on the next truck and that would be my suggestion to anyone with a cow like that, unless they don't have to tag, weigh or deal with their animals.

Alan,

You are 100% correct... you know horse behavior well... I'd ride with you anytime. Can't tell you how many times I've watched someone try to get their horse (to halter) with no luck. I can walk out there, picking blades of grass to focus on and walk right up to them. As you said - proven fact they are aware of your body language.

Victoria,
If you'll look at his "poll" you'll see my reply...saying pretty much what you just did. If someone is so stupid to think that the act of chewing gum, in and by itself, is the cure-all then they shouldn't own any animal larger than a dog. But I've met some pretty swift "wing-dingers" in my day and guess he might be concerned that someone would take it as meaning "chew gum..all is OK". I think we deserve a little more credit than that... and that he should read your post a little better to see that you weren't implying that at all.

God Bless

Victoria":ixtdtxai said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":ixtdtxai said:
MistyMorning":ixtdtxai said:
HEREFORD ROADHOG":ixtdtxai said:

I am quite serious and this is why.
One of the biggest mistakes people make when dealing with cattle is to unconciously act as a threat (a predator), especially with a skittish cow. They will look directly at her and assume a position that to a cow resembles fight or flight. Then they keep their heads up and look at the cow the whole time to keep an eye on her - often not speaking and keeping their mouth clenched. All of these are aggresive signs to a cow.
My suggestion of chewing gum was after I agreed with others about spending time sitting reading or talking to them. I didn't not say "Go chew gum and all will be solved", that would be stupid. What I said was while you are going into the area, keeping a safe distance, sitting and reading to the animal, chew gum as well. If she is that skittish of a cow, she will notice you chewing because she will not take her eyes off you. Chewing in the cow world is a sign of relaxation. Cows do not chew their cud and charge at the same time, so she won't expect you to either. Cows notice more about body language than people give them credit for.

I have used the method of sitting in a corral with a book, a sandwich and a pack of gum and a lot of hours. An oat bucket never hurts either. It does wonders on a scared cow. We got one last year that ran every time you walked into her space. I spent a lot of time just hanging out with her. When it came time to weigh the calf I walked up tagged it and put it on the scale. She didn't run, charge or do anything stupid. She doesn't even stand up if I walk within three feet of her. The method works with scared animals. Some I've worked with become pattable, some are always a little skittish but they can be dealt with.

Now if Wisteriea Farms comes back on here and says the cow charged her I won't be telling her to chew gum and hang out in her pasture. That is not a scared cow, that becomes a killer cow. There is a difference and my methods to deal with it are different. A killer cow is shipped. No questions. I don't have the patience or facilities to deal with a cow hunting me. My cows can (and do) charge dogs, strangers and predators but they don't charge me. The few who have are gone on the next truck and that would be my suggestion to anyone with a cow like that, unless they don't have to tag, weigh or deal with their animals.

i realize that you have to use various methods to gain an animals trust but i also am quite sure that a cows eyesight is not good enough to detect whether on not someone is chewing gum. so lets just let this discussion go peacfully into the night....... :?:

You don't think your cow can see what you are doing from 20-30 feet away? Can you see your cow chewing her cud from 20-30 feet away? Unless you have eyesight problems you can and so can she. Cows have a problem with depth perception but they are not blind.

Roadhog, better go somewhere and lick your wounds. You're waaay outgunned here, and I'm thinking she may have one hand tied behind her back to make it a fair fight. LOL !!

Cows got real good eye sight, unless there's some damage. I think better than humans. I don't know how many times I've noticed the herd looking at something in the distance, turn out to be a cat, or coyote or something. Yup, I believe a calm chewing action will calm cattle. Just like a quite voice.

You know? back in the open range days, it was a must for the night herd watchers to sing quietly and steady.

Jim62":1xprp3he said:
Roadhog, better go somewhere and lick your wounds. You're waaay outgunned here, and I'm thinking she may have one hand tied behind her back to make it a fair fight. LOL !!

unless she has a degree in cattle opthomology i'm not going anywhere. doggone it must have been boring on here untill i joined :cboy:

Latest posts