Protective Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Ok guys, help me out here. I bought some 3for1's (only a couple). I've never had mom cows on the property... I don't want to get myself killed by being stupid around them. My plan is to call them up for grain (more-or-less just a snack as they'll be primarily on pasture/hay). I'm hoping their calves will come along too. I know one of the mom's has been combed and they say she likes attention. My concern is the other mom.

Am I ok to move as usual around them? They won't all-of-a-sudden decide they don't like my shirt that day and try to run me over will they? Can you give me some advice as to how to get them used to/comfortable with me? I can tell you by my observation of others that I am a gentle handler so I feel like I should be able to earn their trust but how do I start out? These are big girls... not like starting with calves. Thanks.

Have you tried to be friendly to the "nicer" cow? First off I wouldn't get into the pen with them without someone else there if you're not sure how they will act. With the associating you with feed that may get a bit dicey. If you can feed over a fence, that's ok, but if you have to get into a pen to feed be careful that they don't push you around or run you over to get to supper. When we get new cows I act calm and normal around them, I give them plenty of space, but I also keep an eye on them. I try to show them that it's ok for me to come into the them to work or check out their condition, but I'm not going to hurt them. We live in Iowa and bought some calves that came off of the range in Wyoming, how we came about them is a long story. Any how, they were wild and I mean wild! They just calved this year for the first time and it's amazing just how calm and laid back they've become. If none of the other cows get upset about your presence, than they spook shouldn't either. Be careful though!

What kind of cows are they? Just be slow and cautious and leave a backdoor open. You will soon get a feel for them. Gentle and calm or nervous.

If one is with a new calf, then all bets are off. If the calves are young, don't get between cow and calf.
Don't be afraid, just watch them and use common sense.

Like all cattle, they need to get used to you. Slowly at first, no fast moves, get them used to the pail and you. Shouldn't take to long, unless they are just wild or high headed, then you can never trust them. Body language, will tell the story, watch the cows.

An experienced hand can tell everything in the body language.

Alwasy have an exit strategy and don;t crowd them. To get them used to you, sit down somewhere close and read outloud. Nothing exciting that will put a voice inflection in what you're reading. They'll get used to having you around and get used to your voice. I've done it for years, just read outloud and didn;t pay any attention to the cows. They'll evbentually come up and just sort of hang around. With new cows and calves at weaning it's surprising how fast they'll settle down. If I'm in the mood I'll dump some grain in a trough and sit by it and read aloud. But I'm one of those warped people that would rather hang around with cows then most people and find being around them to be better then booze or dope at making me feel better.

Funny you say that dun, because that is what I do to new heifers, or calves I am weaning. I put some feed in a trough, and sit down beside them while they eat. Talk to them, and earn their trust, so to speak. It has worked for me for years.

Limomike":1vg9bn4x said:
Funny you say that dun, because that is what I do to new heifers, or calves I am weaning. I put some feed in a trough, and sit down beside them while they eat. Talk to them, and earn their trust, so to speak. It has worked for me for years.

I run out of things to talk to them about since they're generally such lousey conversationalists, that's why I read out loud.

Exactly what dun said! Always have an escape route in mind when working cattle.
Even some of our cows that are the biggest babies ever call off all bets when they have a newborn. Alot can be told by the way they "look" at you and what they are doing with their head. If the head is dropped a bit and she is shaking it at you, that is a warning! Usually after a few days things calm down, but do not drop your guard.

Sounds like good advice has been given, best to learn from those with experience. One thing I like to do with new cows is put them in a corral for a couple of days to watch their temperment. If you can feed in a pen where you can get in and out without getting in trouble, then if comfortable, cautiously stay in pen when they are eating. Some of my cows, especially with calves get irritated when corraled, so pay attention to them and don't turn your back. If you have a good cow dog, that will sit until called, leave her back a bit, and if you need her, call and run. If they aren't calm enough for you, or you suspect problems, take to sale barn, even if you lose a few bucks, beats doctor bills, or a herd that gets the same way as her. Where else can you sell a girl who doesn't want to get along?
good luck,
rick

I'm with the others that say read aloud. Also chew gum. A cow chews her cud only when relaxed. If you chew your cud (gum) they see that as a sign that you are relaxed and they will relax more too.

dun":1ehi8x08 said:
Alwasy have an exit strategy and don;t crowd them. To get them used to you, sit down somewhere close and read outloud. Nothing exciting that will put a voice inflection in what you're reading. They'll get used to having you around and get used to your voice. I've done it for years, just read outloud and didn;t pay any attention to the cows. They'll evbentually come up and just sort of hang around. With new cows and calves at weaning it's surprising how fast they'll settle down. If I'm in the mood I'll dump some grain in a trough and sit by it and read aloud.
But I'm one of those warped people that would rather hang around with cows then most people and find being around them to be better then booze or dope at making me feel better.

Dun, me too (one of those warped people... I'd rather take a calf on a walk than just about anything else).

Thanks everyone... I'll try to answer some questions that were asked...

I don't have them yet but they will be here in a couple weeks. These are registered Murray Grey. One of the calves is 6 mo's old (born March 27) and the other was born June 28. I'm thinking about weaning the 6mo old... I can separate them so that calf/mom can see/sniff each other.

The other pair (the cow with the 3mo old calf) is the cow that is supposed to be pretty tame (likes to be curried). So, I'm not real freaked out... they're not WILD by any means but I'm still in unchartered territory so was wanting everyone's input.

I'll definately start reading to them (and I'll chew gum!). My concern with getting really up-close-and personal is that I'd like to show one or both cow/calf pairs at next year's fair. But I'm not going to kill myself trying to do it either. Thanks everyone... I'll post some pictures once they're here.

dun":1ikperpn said:
Limomike":1ikperpn said:

I run out of things to talk to them about since they're generally such lousey conversationalists, that's why I read out loud.

I have not read to my cattle,[yet] But I'm always talking to them.

Something like " how you doing there big girl, hooooooooo bossy,
that a purty nice baby caffy you got there bossie, man the flies are bad, gotta take care of that, looks like your getting close there girl, here bossy bossy bossy. etc etc. :oops: :oops: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Victoria":2p4xihso said:
I'm with the others that say read aloud. Also chew gum. A cow chews her cud only when relaxed. If you chew your cud (gum) they see that as a sign that you are relaxed and they will relax more too.

yeah i bet that will work :roll: but what if you cant chew gum & run for your life at the same time :?:

HEREFORD ROADHOG":92uvzoxk said:
Victoria":92uvzoxk said:

yeah i bet that will work :roll: but what if you cant chew gum & run for your life at the same time :?:

I'm talking about a cow that doesn't trust you, not one that is trying to actively kill you and yes it does help with the skittish. It's part of speaking their language.
Somehow I think you could probably chew gum and run for your life at the same time if necessary. ;-)

Just a little warning. Be very careful when a new calf is born. Some cattle go into the protective mode and you become the enemy. I do not find this to be a reason to cull the cow. This is a built in system of protection. In my cattle it will last about 2 months and then it is back to normal.
It is ok to have the cow trust you. Just don't make the mistake of trusting them.

thats exactly right Novatech. Some cows are extremely protective of their little ones, but that doesnt mean I would cull them because of that.

Limomike":1hx0qnli said:
thats exactly right Novatech. Some cows are extremely protective of their little ones, but that doesnt mean I would cull them because of that.
Sorry. Didn't mean to imply you would. Just a general statement. A lot of good cattle out there just doing there job as mommas, but there are those that will think that this is a bad trait. I beleave the opposite is true. Although I do have a tough time gitting those birth weights. :roll:

Oh I didnt think you were implying that. I was just stating that I agree with you. I too dont think it is a bad trait.

Latest posts