proceedings of the 6th conference on artificial insemination

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie'

Reaction score
I wish this idea would have been the standard instead of the one we now use.

Date line Jan 15 1972:

National Sire Evaluation:
Dr. R. L. Willham
Iowa state

Program
The sire evaluation program proposed by BIF is a procedure that develops fair comparisons among a large number of sires based on the performance of their progeny. This is done by using a specified set of sires in each herd conducting a progeny test. The set of sires used in all the herds provides the common link that is used to fairly compare all sires tested

Suppose you progeny test two young bulls along with an equal number of progeny from the specified set of sires. Then the EPDs of your bulls from the specified set of sires can be obtained........Through the set of sires used in all progeny tests , all of the bulls so tested can be fairly ranked......The key to success is the selection of bulls to be progeny tested based on their own performance.......The EPD is the difference between the average of a large number of progeny from a sire and the average of a large number of progeny from the set of specified sires when all progeny are treated alike and are from comparable cows.

edit: here is one of the last paragraphs

Conforming to the test procedures, proper allocation of cows to sires being tested, and use of a set of reference sires will tie such a sound program to a national sire evaluation program.

This criteria is how all the bull test centers got started across the country.

A breeder would send a set of calves from each sire group and have them performance tested to evaluate each bull's progeny.

I'd like to see it that way on the farm now. If you want to prove a sire of your own , you have to breed an equal number from a sire with 99%acc. While the numbers wouldn't tell you all the answers , they would at least be more accurate.

ollie'":2zwjx8wk said:
I'd like to see it that way on the farm now. If you want to prove a sire of your own , you have to breed an equal number from a sire with 99%acc. While the numbers wouldn't tell you all the answers , they would at least be more accurate.

Using a "Benchmark" bull is the way the AICA made us do carcass merit testing until just a few years ago. No ultrasound, all grading done on the kill table.

Using a high accuracy bull in conjunction with your own herdsire is the best way to get more accurate EPD's faster. A contemporary group with multiple sired calves is undoubtledly the best way to go. Lot of people do it.

99% accuracy? Is there such a thing?

New York has a regular bull test, but Cornell also does a steer/heifer feedlot program, encouraging producers to put at least 4 steers/heifers sired by the same bull on test. We get all the feedlot/carcass data.
Numbers are small in New York and my herd, but I have a son of our bull on the bull test, and two of his steers along with two steers sired by two other AI bulls, on the feedlot program. I can "prove" how good his offspring will "show", but these tests allow a way to prove how they compete in the feedlot and on the rail.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":27b2g715 said:
New York has a regular bull test, but Cornell also does a steer/heifer feedlot program, encouraging producers to put at least 4 steers/heifers sired by the same bull on test. We get all the feedlot/carcass data.
Numbers are small in New York and my herd, but I have a son of our bull on the bull test, and two of his steers along with two steers sired by two other AI bulls, on the feedlot program. I can "prove" how good his offspring will "show", but these tests allow a way to prove how they compete in the feedlot and on the rail.

I know from a past post that you Bull is doing good at the test. How are the Steers doing? Or do you have that data yet?

Yes the bull calf is doing great - boasting a 5.05# ADG so far (highest gain out of 65 bulls), and the steers are also doing great.
Macho steer - 4.2 ADG, Macho steer 3.8 ADG,
Grand Slam - 3.7# & Blizzard 3.3#
The average of all 159 steers at that time was 3.3# with only 10 steers with an avg higher than the 4.2#
We'll see how they continue. And Macho has good carcass EPD's so I'm anxious to get the hide pulled & see what his sons do. Macho had a 20.2" ribeye at 20 months old. The steers should be finished by about 14-15 months old.

MikeC":13mpuf6w said:
ollie'":13mpuf6w said:

Using a "Benchmark" bull is the way the AICA made us do carcass merit testing until just a few years ago. No ultrasound, all grading done on the kill table.

Using a high accuracy bull in conjunction with your own herdsire is the best way to get more accurate EPD's faster. A contemporary group with multiple sired calves is undoubtledly the best way to go. Lot of people do it.

The Angus Assn uses popular AI bulls as their "benchmark bulls". With almost half the Angus calves registered being AI sired calves, it's not a problem.

The old Angus bull, EXT has .98 accuracy on BW, WW and YW. Those numbers are BW 1.9, WW 43 and YW is 81. Not bad for a bull born twenty years ago. :)

Frankie":8gbcelr5 said:
MikeC":8gbcelr5 said:
ollie'":8gbcelr5 said:

The Angus Assn uses popular AI bulls as their "benchmark bulls". With almost half the Angus calves registered being AI sired calves, it's not a problem.

The old Angus bull, EXT has .98 accuracy on BW, WW and YW. Those numbers are BW 1.9, WW 43 and YW is 81. Not bad for a bull born twenty years ago. :)
How many calves are registered and influence the data bank without the compairison of a high accuracy sire in the contemporary group though Frankie...

ollie'":tz8sllh4 said:
Frankie":tz8sllh4 said:
MikeC":tz8sllh4 said:
ollie'":tz8sllh4 said:

How many calves are registered and influence the data bank without the compairison of a high accuracy sire in the contemporary group though Frankie...

I don't know that any are. You can email the AAA and ask.

Have you heard of the Angus Sire Alliance? It's run by Circle A. Producers nominate their bulls, collect semen, pay a fee. Circle A breeds those bulls to a group of genetically similar cows. They weigh and measure the calves and feed out the steers. The bull that produces the most $$$ is the winner of that test. ABS usually picks them up and sells semen on the bull. There's lots of information on the net about it. When you have time, take a look at it.

I am familiar with Circle A. Nice folks and nice stock. I think their sire alliance is interesting and progressive.

Latest posts