Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I keep reading on here where everyone is saying don't sell this or don't sell that because prices are so low in OUR area right now
I guess I must be in the only place in the country where prices haven't tanked

I sold a few mid 6wgt heifers last month that brought a over $1.00 per lb these were hold overs that didn't fit the load earlier so by my standards not top end cattle
I can remeber just a few yrs back that if I got close to $1 I was in hog heaven, yes it isn't what we were getting a few yrs back but calves have always cycled up and down

I also sold a char X broken mouth cow this week she weighed 1270 big framed cow not butter ball fat(BCS of 3.5) for 52 cents and she went as strictly a kill cow
heck if I can get $660.40 for cull cows I think I am doing great
so are the prices really that bad everywhere else or are people just trying to sound like it is

Haven't seen a .50 cow here is 6-7 weeks. Most of the better ones less than .45. :help:
6wt heifer calves here .70 to .80. :(
Got a call today saying the small calves were about to get higher but he didn't know the reason why. Maybe wheat calves?

kenny thomas":3v13go23 said:
Haven't seen a .50 cow here is 6-7 weeks. Most of the better ones less than .45. :help:
6wt heifer calves here .70 to .80. :(
Got a call today saying the small calves were about to get higher but he didn't know the reason why. Maybe wheat calves?
That is what I have been hearing but around here that isn't what I am seeing
with this cow I sold this week she went strictly for Kill and with what I had been hearing on here and other places I figured she would bring maybe 40 cnets but was pleasantly surprised with what she did bring

Our calf prices are fairly strong...well at least on steers of the right kind, but our cow prices in Alberta are pretty brutal. Takes a pretty decent cow to bring 33 cents Canadian which would be 30.5 cents USD. The bigger cows (1500 lbs +) bring up to 33 cents, smaller cows less. I guess it doesn't cost anymore to kill the big cow than the small one, sort of thing.
I think 600 lb. steers are in that $1.05 range with same weight heifers around 90 cents....Canadian dollars. In USD it would be 97 cents for steers and about 83 cents for heifers.
Our feed prices are way up this year due to a pretty tough drought and generally we have higher prices for all our inputs than the US. For example gasoline and deisel in Canada are in the $3.50 USD range for a US gallon. We pay more for barbed wire, posts, eartags, vaccine etc. It is not very pretty.
Some cattlemen are hanging in there hoping they will see a turn around...but after seven years of little to no profit...that is getting pretty old.

Your prices have held up good AF. Last local sale was the 24th. 681 head. Cull cows same as you. Young or heavy went decent, up to .33-.35, but old or thin were down into the teens, some lower. Bred heifers never got a bid. Bred cows were $250 to $680, with top price netting you some pretty fancy looking cows. 6 weight steers were in the .80 level. 5 weight steers might break the .90 mark. Heifers of the same weight were 10 cents under the steers. Lots of local producers/backgrounders buying at those prices. I even bought 4 steers at the weights and prices below. All hereford steers. :cowboy:

525 lbs @ .91
450 lbs @ .92
2 x 573 lbs @ .84

What are open 18 mo. blk angus heifers worth right now (800 lb. er's) and a 1200 lb. 3year old blk angus heifer? I guessed at the 18 mo. olds weights.Thanks

Kill cows are averaging U$S 0.42 to 0.47. Less than 5% make 0.50.

Not sure what bred cows will bring. Current prices would suggest they are worth about $600 to $700.

I bought a lot of 5 wt. heifers for U$S 0.85. Singles or odd colors are in the low 70s.

rcstokes":2ygjom24 said:
What are open 18 mo. blk angus heifers worth right now (800 lb. er's) and a 1200 lb. 3year old blk angus heifer? I guessed at the 18 mo. olds weights.Thanks
Depends greatly on why an 18 month old heifer is still open. Probably needs to go to the the butcher.

Running them thru the ring depends greatly on where you are.

Of course, quality trumps everything.

Latest posts