price for barbed wire fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

moloss

Reaction score
my father inlaw called me today asking me about barbed wire fencing......he is wanting some put up at his place and he's been qoated $2 per foot (everything included except for corner posts) this price is for 5 strands of barbed wire....does this sound reasonable? I have never been in a financial postion to pay someone for the fencing so I don't know if that's a good price or not.....what do y'all think.

I'm in So. Louisiana and it runs $1.85 a foot, 5 strand, t posts @10', and treated corners in concrete.
Gate posts and deadmen extra.
And quality differs as to who's doing it.

1370 foot of cross fence cost me $1425 to do myself. That was using 6 and a half foot T posts, 6 strands of Oklahoma 4 point, pipe corners and braces. No brush clearing and flat land on the flood plain. I managed to find some 3 inch pipe cheap. Would prefer 4 inch but this was heavy wall so it is fine.

I aint hungry enough to hire out for $2 a foot. That's not a bad deal if its good wire and good fence.

backhoeboogie":2x3t1yma said:
1370 foot of cross fence cost me $1425 to do myself. That was using 6 and a half foot T posts, 6 strands of Oklahoma 4 point, pipe corners and braces. No brush clearing and flat land on the flood plain. I managed to find some 3 inch pipe cheap. Would prefer 4 inch but this was heavy wall so it is fine.

I aint hungry enough to hire out for $2 a foot. That's not a bad deal if its good wire and good fence.
I guess we are alot hungrier in Missouri because $1315 is pretty good wages for 3 guys for 6 hrs or less of work
we build 1/4 mile per day at least and if we have good straight runs we usual;ly build 1/2 mile per day and that is a 3 guy crew now and then we will have a 4th if we are on a job with alot of good easy fencing so we can stay caught up on clipping or if I need extra help fitting corners to stay in front of the wire guys never have over 4 people on a job

Across the country the $2/ft is probably about average.

I have heard of people like AngCow in MO being hungry enough to do it for less. In our mountainous Idaho-Montana region, the $2 would be on the low side. After having built fence in both places, it is a lot harder work out here due to the rough terrain and rocks. Yes, MO Ozarks has its share of rough terrain and rocks, but it's still a little different running a fence up across a couple thousand feet of elevation gain and working around outcrops and canyons.

Angus Cowman":1wg3sh4q said:
I guess we are alot hungrier in Missouri because $1315 is pretty good wages for 3 guys for 6 hrs or less of work
You're definately much faster than I am. Of course, working solo is tougher for parts of it. I could make more nickels hiring out on the cat or hoe.

So you think $2 is high? I don't think it is a bad price at all.

backhoeboogie":nev9vs4g said:
Angus Cowman":nev9vs4g said:
You're definately much faster than I am. Of course, working solo is tougher for parts of it. I could make more nickels hiring out on the cat or hoe.

So you think $2 is high? I don't think it is a bad price at all.
around here it will run about $1.80 pr ft or less
Also I have a fencing crew so most of the times I only install the corners
as for making more on the cat or hoe $ for $ on investment you will make more on the fencing
I have had heavy equipment for several yrs
I also have a Heck of a fence crew
I usually only put the corners in and they do the rest and let me tell ya they will work a man to death trying to stay in front of them
these boys wouldn't know what to do if they had straight level land to work in :lol:
they string the wire and drive the T-post for $450 per 1/4 and do a good job as I am picky (most say I am a Hard A$$)

Latest posts