Cattle got through 4 rung barbed wire fence. Advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

Timmer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just beginning year 3 of hobby farming so I'm still learning. Last night at dusk we got the dreaded call from neighbors that our cattle were out. Thankfully not all of them were out and the escapees were grazing close by. We were able to lure them back by opening a gate and filling their food trough. On to the next issue, finding out how they got out. I have a 4 rung barbed wire fence with the rungs 1 foot apart. I have corner posts configured like an "H" with diagonal tension wires (I'm probably not using the right terms). The other day I went around and tightened the tension wires. Apparently I overtightened one and it later pulled apart. I live on sand and even though I have 6x6 corner posts with 7' of the post length underground, they shifted given the loss of the diagonal tension wire. This caused some slack in the barbed wire. For the middle 2 rungs of barbed wire, the barbs got caught up in post staples within the first couple of posts, keeping it taut from there on, so the slack ended up within a short distance of the corner. There was a spot with a significant amount of fur on the barbs and hoof prints outside the fence, so there was no doubt that it was where they escaped. However, I would in no way categorize the spot as a "hole," just a length with some slack between the 2 middle rungs. I would describe it as a sag in the wire. I've been told more than once that a fence is more of a mental block than a physical block and cattle will get out if they really want to, but I am truly amazed that not only did they find this spot, but that they pushed through. By my estimate they could barely fit. I have also been told that once they find a weakness in your fence, they will never forget it. So, my question is, now that I have fixed the fence and tightened the fence rungs, do I have to do anything else? Will they now repeatedly test this spot? Should I do something for added security? Put in 2 diagonal lengths of barbed wire in a cross configuration between the posts where they escaped?

Thanks for your knowledge and advice!

Hi all,

I'm just beginning year 3 of hobby farming so I'm still learning. Last night at dusk we got the dreaded call from neighbors that our cattle were out. Thankfully not all of them were out and the escapees were grazing close by. We were able to lure them back by opening a gate and filling their food trough. On to the next issue, finding out how they got out. I have a 4 rung barbed wire fence with the rungs 1 foot apart. I have corner posts configured like an "H" with diagonal tension wires (I'm probably not using the right terms). The other day I went around and tightened the tension wires. Apparently I overtightened one and it later pulled apart. I live on sand and even though I have 6x6 corner posts with 7' of the post length underground, they shifted given the loss of the diagonal tension wire. This caused some slack in the barbed wire. For the middle 2 rungs of barbed wire, the barbs got caught up in post staples within the first couple of posts, keeping it taut from there on, so the slack ended up within a short distance of the corner. There was a spot with a significant amount of fur on the barbs and hoof prints outside the fence, so there was no doubt that it was where they escaped. However, I would in no way categorize the spot as a "hole," just a length with some slack between the 2 middle rungs. I would describe it as a sag in the wire. I've been told more than once that a fence is more of a mental block than a physical block and cattle will get out if they really want to, but I am truly amazed that not only did they find this spot, but that they pushed through. By my estimate they could barely fit. I have also been told that once they find a weakness in your fence, they will never forget it. So, my question is, now that I have fixed the fence and tightened the fence rungs, do I have to do anything else? Will they now repeatedly test this spot? Should I do something for added security? Put in 2 diagonal lengths of barbed wire in a cross configuration between the posts where they escaped?

If they got out because the fence was downed first, they stay and you figure out a way to fix the fence. If they got out by finding a way out of a good fence, you give them a ride to town, buy a few more and probably even a burger and a coffee on top of it with current prices and then you keep better track of your fence.

I grew up in SD where you were judged by the quality of your fences. I live in an area in MN now that has fewer cattle than SD, but still plenty, and the fences are mostly junk. Why? Because most ppl run a single hot electric wire inside the old junk fence.

My vanity compels me to still have a quality fence. But, I will confess -- I also run a strand of hot wire. It's cheap insurance/peace of mind.

You list that you are in MN. Unless you are an outlier, you don't have any grass in your pastures (I know I don't), which leads me to believe the cattle were probably trying to reach through to grab something. Even more of a reason to consider running a hot wire. They may reach underneath but they will eventually hit the hot wire.

Hi all,

You run a strand or two of electric fence wire. Are your line post wood, or metal Ts? Either one,. it doesn't matter, because you can buy insulators for either, that will stick out a few inches from your fence. Call the top strand of barbed wire #1 and the bottom strand #4. Run a hot wire between 1 and 2, and another between 3 and 4. Or, if you can only do one, put it between 2 and 3.

You know how to keep your cows home?
Feed them, fat cows don't go looking for ways to get out.

Oh we feed them! Very good hay, cracked corn, oats, and a sweet mix. Twice daily. We pack on the pounds. We are not running a very profitable operation, but the big family pets are happy, at least up until we bring them to the butcher.

Can you take a pic of the hole and maybe the H brace set up?

That will really help people give good, specific suggestions.

Hot wire is definitely a good option short term while you get things situated.

I am of the same belief that fence in just a mental barrier. In sand you will never be able to keep the wires super tight. An extra wire or two may help, hot wire, or even a net wire of sorts. Most all that will require fairly solid corners.

Is there is 7' of post buried in the dirt plus 5' or so above ground (12'-ish total) or are the posts 7' long in total?

The last 2 weeks I have found 2 bad spots checking fences. We have had tons of rain and the grass is green as can be. Down side is we have big calves on the cows in the pasture and they are like teenagers looking for some thing to get in to.

I'm not proud of my patch-work but you have to do what you have to do some times. 😄

20230510_144332.jpg20230427_151554.jpg20230427_155118.jpg

Oh we feed them! Very good hay, cracked corn, oats, and a sweet mix. Twice daily. We pack on the pounds. We are not running a very profitable operation, but the big family pets are happy, at least up until we bring them to the butcher.
Well then they need to grow wheels and buy a better cow if they are getting out.

Can you take a pic of the hole and maybe the H brace set up?

That will really help people give good, specific suggestions.

Hot wire is definitely a good option short term while you get things situated.

I am of the same belief that fence in just a mental barrier. In sand you will never be able to keep the wires super tight. An extra wire or two may help, hot wire, or even a net wire of sorts. Most all that will require fairly solid corners.

Is there is 7' of post buried in the dirt plus 5' or so above ground (12'-ish total) or are the posts 7' long in total?

The last 2 weeks I have found 2 bad spots checking fences. We have had tons of rain and the grass is green as can be. Down side is we have big calves on the cows in the pasture and they are like teenagers looking for some thing to get in to.

I'm not proud of my patch-work but you have to do what you have to do some times. 😄

View attachment 29934View attachment 29935View attachment 29936
It doesn't get more sandy than east Texas.
Proper fence for the environment stops bovine escape.
I have had one in the last 30 years get out twice.
That bull grew wheels as fast as I could load him.
I don't like fixing fence and I won't tolerate a problem cow! Life is too short for that BS.
4E9A0947-5EE7-4A3E-9CDB-A0704026A0E0.jpeg

A hot wire is an easy solution, but in our location that would have been impractical. We have miles of fence and much of it is located in areas that are difficult to get to, so looking for breaks and down wire caused by down trees and wildlife could become a full time job.

Our interior fences are 4 strand and our exterior fences are 6 strand. I wish I had spent the extra money and time to run two more strands of barbed wire on the interior fences back when we were initially cross fencing, but that project was partially funded through a NRCS grant, and I think I remember that they wanted less wire to allow easy access for wildlife, especially with the riparian fences. We have been adding two more wires to problem areas as they reveal themselves. With only 4 wires, the cows can and will reach through the fence to reach grass on the other side. Calves will also crawl through pretty easy. Reaching through results in the wires getting looser and the whole fence leaning away. Even fat cows can't resist the temptation of easy to reach grass on the other side of the fence. Two more wires made it almost impossible to get their heads through and made it too high for them to reach over the top. The bottom wire is about 8-12 inches off the ground and there is maybe 6-7 inches between the wires, which is narrower than the width of my cows heads. A determined calf can squeeze through, but it is uncomfortable enough that it seldom happens. Many of our interior fences lean over precariously from cows trying to reach grass on the other side. The taller, tighter fences that protect the perimeter, are still in very good shape. Most of the improved fencing here happened in the late 1990's or early 2000's. We got a bad set of wood posts for some of the interior work, and they are all rotting off and needing replacement. Places where the 4 strands allow the cows to reach through and push, are the first to go.

Sand is the least of my fencing problems.😄

My first rule of thumb is a zero tolerance rule for cattle and fences or cattle guards.

Not that I am complaining, and I appreciate it, but we have been trying to work cattle the past month. My dad has a problem heifer right now too that he said if he gets one more call about he is going to shoot her where she stands. We got over 6" in the past couple days and a lot of stuff went to jello.

We have about $30K worth of fence supplies that has been stacked for the past month because the builder can't get in.

IF I get neighbors on board and actually get a new fence up the deer, hogs, nilgai, illegals, oak trees, and heaven forbid volunteer fire departments.... all do every thing in their power to destroy it. 🤣

... but that rope and those panels will go untouched for the next 20 years like mutt that shows up at your house. 🤣
No judging with the panels here! Sometimes you have to pick your battles, which is why I always have backup/extra panels. The barnyard where I calve out the heifers is like Fort Knox. 5 strands of barbed wire still didn't deter the cows from sticking their necks through for the green stuff on the other side and there's only so many times you can tighten the wire. Hello, cattle panels!!! Literally, around the entire perimeter.

Well then they need to grow wheels and buy a better cow if they are getting out.
We've had a couple of the oil well pumpers leave the south gate wide open. And can clearly see the tracks where my herd wandered across the road to the neighbors wheat field. And yet, as soon as I discover an open gate and take a complete inventory, they're all back where they belong. I get trying out "the grass is always greener", but darn lucky my herd realizes they have a good thing going on and come home.

No judging with the panels here! Sometimes you have to pick your battles, which is why I always have backup/extra panels. The barnyard where I calve out the heifers is like Fort Knox. 5 strands of barbed wire still didn't deter the cows from sticking their necks through for the green stuff on the other side and there's only so many times you can tighten the wire. Hello, cattle panels!!! Literally, around the entire perimeter.
Get cows they said... it will be fun they said. 😂

In my experience with some pretty old dodgy fences an individual cow might push through a weak spot but rarely will a group go through. If a group gets out I go looking for another spot where the fence might be down completely. Is it possible that a gate got opened and maybe a neighbour closed it so no more could get out.

Ken

Wait, @Brute 23, I stand corrected! Ran out of cattle panels for one side so used chain link gate panels. Dignity is sometimes overrated. But not a single calf got out & ZERO stretched wires.;)
1683758773537.jpeg

That's what they make solar chargers for.
Can't have any wildlife more destructive than feral hogs by the thousands there endless.
I am not sure if this post was directed at my post that said a hot wire would be impractical here. I was not referring to the ability to get electricity to the fence. Some of our fences are located in areas that were difficult to get to in the first place. We had to cut trails through downed trees in order to get an ATV in closer to some areas, and then climb on foot carrying materials the last several 100 feet. We have had several bad storms since, and access is worse than ever. We try to walk the fence a few times a year to check for holes, but I know a hot wire would require many more trips. Some places are so rugged and steep that the fence can be down for months and the cattle are unlikely to ever find the hole, but a down hot wire will short out the whole fence even in areas accessible to cattle. Fire danger is also a concern. We are older than we were when we built this fence, and have more physical limitations. That is why we don't bother with an electric fence.

We don't have feral hogs, thank goodness. Just deer and elk. Most of our problems are caused by trees and branches falling on the fence. Years of drought have killed many trees and every storm brings a few more down.

Electric fences definately have their place. When we lived in Minnesota 30 years ago, we had nothing but a single strand of electric fence, but it was flatter and pastures were smaller and more open.