Preparing for calving - banding

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
This is only my second time calving out one of my cows. She calved last year, I missed it by literally 5 minutes! But I knew that she started springing, bagging, and was stand offish. She's due any day now, with this years calf. Springing and beginning to bag. I'm not going to get much sleep because I think it'll be any day.
My question is this: if she does have a Bull calf, I will be casterating within a few days/week (I have heard it's easier this way). Last time casterated, I used a banding tool and the Cheerios. If her calf is a Bull calf, should I just band and not worry about tetanus? Or give some sort of tetanus toxoid/antitoxin? Just want to be prepared if I do have to casterate. Thanks!

We don't usually give tetanus in the first 2 weeks with the "cheerios" bands either....If we don't catch them by then, then they will wait til we get the cows in to get moved and they are usually over 2 months and then usually give them a shot of the tetanus toxoid.... cheap insurance.....

Ok thank you Buck and Jan. Just checked on her again she's got some discharge now. I'll post update if anything's happened by morning!

The Cheerio bands come in a bag with lots of bands for a small producer, if they're old throw them out and buy a new bag. The old ones lose their elasticity and don't shrink down fully after the banding tool stretches them out...this leads to problems if you use them.
You might want to try out a few bands to see if they work the way they're supposed to before you put one on the calf.
Personally I prefer the Tr-bander instead of the small Cheerio band type banders.

Just my 2 cents of advice.

J+ Cattle

We just finished banding our calves, most over 500 pounds. Whew, that was a chore. We did have a few new calves i banded and it was so easy, we never band early... usually we dont band so late, but, it was so muddy all summer we just waited till we pulled the bulls off... but, again, that was a chore..

Agreed. In my experience, if you know when it's born, let her clean it off and let it eat once, then when it beds down and she's not as worked up, usually it's a good window to ease up and band them then.
That's the way I did. I'd give the pair about 24 hr. to bond. I'd then usually catch the calf laying. I used the cheerio bands and no shots.

This is only my second time calving out one of my cows. She calved last year, I missed it by literally 5 minutes! But I knew that she started springing, bagging, and was stand offish. She's due any day now, with this years calf. Springing and beginning to bag. I'm not going to get much sleep because I think it'll be any day.
My question is this: if she does have a Bull calf, I will be casterating within a few days/week (I have heard it's easier this way). Last time casterated, I used a banding tool and the Cheerios. If her calf is a Bull calf, should I just band and not worry about tetanus? Or give some sort of tetanus toxoid/antitoxin? Just want to be prepared if I do have to casterate. Thanks!
Out here I give multi min and bose shots and band by day 4. I have to be careful that I have both nuts and I keep a brand new razor wiped down with alcohol on me in case one slips back up I can nick the band and apply a new one. Catch him when he has a full belly of milk and is drowsy laying down.

I do it by day 4 because they are really feisty and hard to catch after that, and it is easier on my broke down body.

Just moved a heard and saw the nuts are already falling off...and man do these calves stink... nuts are all in a state of rotting...one guy must have laid on his somehow, flattened it and now looks like he has a dessert plate stuck between his legs held by a string.. made me giggle......lol

Latest posts