Neat calving experience

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
We had a neat experience with one of our cows and her daughter. Pulled into feed and saw 2 cows with tails up and moving away from the herd so went to check them out. Once they setteled down about 50 yards apart we took a seat and waited. First time hefier had a nice 70 pound bull calf about 30 minutes later went and tagged ut then waited some more. Cow had her calf about 20 minutes later and went up to tag it and did a double take. Wasnt payong close attention and just realized that it was the mother of the hefier. She pushed out a 98 pound bull calf and he was up and nursing by the time we walked over to tag it.

Anyone else ever have a cow and heifer pair drop calves like this before. Calf vy the truck is the 98 pound bull calf the other is the 70 pound bull calf.

Attachments

• 20230208_175454.jpg
    20230208_175454.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230208_175334.jpg
    20230208_175334.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
Love when that happens! And it happens a lot with my herd. I suspect because I retain heifers based on dams that consistently calve the first few weeks of calving. Bebe, who is now 13, used to calve about 20 yards from her mama. Almost like clockwork, it was actually a little freaky. Last year, Tator & her 3rd heifer (Spud) kicked off calving the same day. But the most amazing one was 3 years ago when a mother/daughter had twins the same day.

Omgoodness!
Never paid any attention here.

Closest I got is my bottle calf, Seven, calving about 100 feet from where I first found her as a lil abandoned baby.

And that ain't near the same.

Love ya'lls stories!!

Latest posts