Post a random picture

Help Support CattleToday:

The state park I manage was built by the CCC. Lots of those 18-24 year old young men were somewhat resentful of having to work in a government program according to some historical documentation. Unfortunately, independence isn't valued as much as it once was.

Ya got $30/month and had to send all but $5 back to your family.

My father worked in CCC in Fort Collins Colorado. Dunno why they shipped him that far North when the CCC was working all over Texas too. CCC Built Balmorea State Park and most of the structures at Bastrop St park. Many of those burned up in the 2011 wildfire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmorhea_State_Park#History

My dad, age 19 at Ft Collins 1936. Top right.

CCC FT Collins1936.jpg

Ya got $30/month and had to send all but $5 back to your family.

My father worked in CCC in Fort Collins Colorado. Dunno why they shipped him that far North when the CCC was working all over Texas too. CCC Built Balmorea State Park and most of the structures at Bastrop St park. Many of those burned up in the 2011 wildfire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balmorhea_State_Park#History

My dad, age 19 at Ft Collins 1936. Top right.

View attachment 39729
Some of the things the Conservation Corp did back in those days were amazing.

And for whatever reason some were sent to places quite aways from home. A lot of what they built has lasted a long time.

There were lots of men here that worked CCC. Civilian Conservation Corp.
They built fire trails, planted trees, built fire towers, and your park. Anything that was considered Conservation of our natural resources. I would love to see it used today.
Americorp is about the closest thing we have to that now...it is considered a volunteer kind of thing but it is my understanding that they are paid a stipend for living expenses (rent, etc.)

Americorp is about the closest thing we have to that now...it is considered a volunteer kind of thing but it is my understanding that they are paid a stipend for living expenses (rent, etc.)
Yes, i have worked with Americorp wildfire crews in the past. But most of the young people on those crews were doing it for the adventure and it paid for some of their college expenses. Usually very good young men and women from privileged familes.

So did I, my brother and my older sister. IIRC, my father-in-law (now deceased) attended REL too.
It is still named Robert E Lee. It burned in 1987, but was rebuilt using the same Market St front it always had.

(You can always tell when a highschool's football team's best decades are behind them when sports folks refer to the school as 'Tradition rich'. REL once played 12-4A but once a 2nd (now a third) Baytown high school was built, the available incoming sports talent was diluted significantly. Their band was the largest in the state in the 1960s and jazz trumpeter Doc Severinson (Johnny Carson's bandleader) sat in and played with them frequently.

You can (if you can find it), play Dull Razor Blues for your mother.
my mother went to Robert E. Lee HS in Baytown...a bit before this pic, of course

So did I, my brother and my older sister. IIRC, my father-in-law (now deceased) attended REL too.
It is still named Robert E Lee. It burned in 1987, but was rebuilt using the same Market St front it always had.

(You can always tell when a highschool's football team's best decades are behind them when sports folks refer to the school as 'Tradition rich'. REL once played 12-4A but once a 2nd (now a third) Baytown high school was built, the available incoming sports talent was diluted significantly. Their band was the largest in the state in the 1960s and jazz trumpeter Doc Severinson (Johnny Carson's bandleader) sat in and played with them frequently.

You can (if you can find it), play Dull Razor Blues for your mother.

Calf born the second morning of our ice and freezing rain event this week . More below freezing temperatures this weekend and then 60's next week !
View attachment 39782
It is amazing how much those little buggers can take. I have had calves born here in January. As long as there is no wind they do fine once they are all dried off. A guy down the road from me calves all his in January.

Latest posts