Photos - Time to get the locals talking at the coffee shop

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't grab the camera to take pictures of what our pond looked like before the backhoe got there. It was roughly 6 feet deep in the center and 40'x30' with 1:3 slope.

For the first year ever, it dried up completely at the end of July and I had to tank water for almost a month. Even with 800 gallons of capacity, that got old real quick.

We had planned to get it dugout this year, and the pond being dried out made it all the better. We did this project in the first part of September. This operator is one of our neighbors and has been running heavy equipment since he was about 10 years old. He's a heck of a good operator. We rent a 160 acre pasture from his brother.

The initial plan was to dig an additional 6 feet for a total of 12 feet deep and square it up with 1:1/1:1.5 run sides. But as he was digging the south side, the clay was like concrete and after just scraping for a few feet, it turned to blue rock and gravel and there was a little water trickling in! He dug the rest of the pond out, took the hoe into the bottom and started digging further. He went down an additional 12 feet in the center and water was pouring in. By the end of the day, that smaller hole 12'x10'x12' was about half filled and had some where around 4000 gallons in it. By the next morning it was almost full, roughly 8000 gallons. The final size of the hole from the top is 80 feet long, 65 feet wide and 24' deep in the center.

P1010376.jpg

P1010378.jpg

P1010386.jpg

P1010392.jpg

P1010388.jpg

While he was digging out one corner of the pond, he hit a huge rock. He started hitting it with the bucket and it broke up. 5 pure solid beautiful limestone slabs came out of the hole. If anyone wants a slab for a tombstone or yard sign, I've got these available at a price! They are about 8' long and 6' wide and 10" thick and weigh about 1 ton each.

P1010390.jpg

P1010391.jpg

I'm also experimenting with 'wet wells' and decided to put one in. He started trenching on the southwest corner 12' deep and hit bedrock that was climbing up to 8' before we stopped digging. That explains the water!

P1010384.jpg

P1010383.jpg

So I sent the machine to the northwest corner and crossed my fingers he wouldn't hit rock. He didn't and he got a 12' trench out about 100'. He dug a little deeper at the end of the trench for the 15" 20' double-wall plastic casing and tossed it in. It has a 4' solid pipe going into it and running along the length of the trench to transfer water from the dugout to the casing.

This is a diagram of the type of set-up I'm going to.

wetwelldiagram.png

P1010381.jpg

P1010382.jpg

P1010380.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010387.jpg

P1010393.jpg

P1010396.jpg

We filled the trench and did some ditching into the entrance on the southeast corner. The pond should hold at least 350,000 gallons when full, possibly up to 400,000. This is one project of 3 that we had him do over the course of 2.5 days. We crunched the numbers and both figured between digging and leveling dirt, he moved 4000 yards in the first day.

Dad surveying the quality of the work.

P1010394.jpg

P1010395.jpg

P1010397.jpg

Now I just need to finish the intake line set-up, put my solar panels and everything else up (next spring) and put a top-notch fence around it.

That is a good sized pond. There is a old cattle pond at my grandpas house that is 12' deep, and about the same size as yours, but that is without being completely dammed up. Would be about 16' deep if it was dammed up.
I would like to put one of those style waters in, what was the ruff estimate on pricing?

sim.-ang.king":3r5tk5dn said:
That is a good sized pond. There is a old cattle pond at my grandpas house that is 12' deep, and about the same size as yours, but that is without being completely dammed up. Would be about 16' deep if it was dammed up.
I would like to put one of those style waters in, what was the ruff estimate on pricing?

Hoe work for the job was $1725. 15" plastic casing was $225. (Plan calls for 24" steel - but that was about $550). 250' of 4" solid tile was $120. As per the diagram, once you add the solar panels, steel panels, deep cycle batteries, motion eye, pump, etc...

Rough estimate would be around $3600-4000, which is about a $1000 cheaper than buying the kit from Kelln Solar to do the same thing.

Aaron the pond looks good, but the ground looks so flat compared to here. How in the heck long does it take to fill with runoff? Maybe the pics are not showing something. I know people here that have hit springs digging a pond and damed off all surface water they are really nice. gs

Aaron, around here that would be considered way past dirt cheap for an excavator, fuel, and operator. That's good value and a good job to boot.

plumber_greg":2kqila7t said:
Aaron the pond looks good, but the ground looks so flat compared to here. How in the heck long does it take to fill with runoff? Maybe the pics are not showing something. I know people here that have hit springs digging a pond and damed off all surface water they are really nice. gs

3rd picture from the top, by the posts - water run coming in on an angle. Not a lot of drop, but it has a catch area of about 100 acres or maybe a little better. If we got our usual winter of 4 feet of snow, she'd be full in the spring.

greybeard":2kqila7t said:
Aaron, around here that would be considered way past dirt cheap for an excavator, fuel, and operator. That's good value and a good job to boot.

$115 an hour and $115 for the float. He only lives 2.5 miles from us, so it's not a long haul.

I'll post pics of another project and that guy with a similar size hoe was only $85 an hour.

Latest posts