Photos of our 8 & 9 month old Red Angus bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

TNMasterBeefProducer":3o0if9g6 said:
First one high in the flank, not alot of length, ring worm, pot bellied. In fact all of them look a little high flanked. That one cow has a good lookin udder. I dont like them myself. They would be decent commercial bulls.

We are looking at 8 / 9 month old calves not glossy picture AI catalogue bulls.

HIgh flanked ? Doesn't that just mean the area isn't filled up with fat ?

To me they look like young bulls with tons of potential.

BRG,

What kind of ration are they receiving in the lot?

The 7507 bull calf sure looks like he'll be nice. Your herd bulls and those cows look awfully nice as well. Congrats.

EC

To be honest, I am not sure what the actual ration and total pounds are, as that is where my brother shines. I do know that it is a ration made up originally by SDSU, with grass hay and alfalfa for the ruffage, Bull Challanger, which is made for growing bulls out, and a couple pounds of corn glutten for added protein as our hay is always low on protein, because we go for quantity instead of quality as we will only get one cutting a year. This is the same ration we have always used for growing out yearling bulls. It has worked well as they seem to stand up in the pasture and we never have feet issues. According to the ration, they should be gaining 2.5 to 2.75 lbs a day, but they are actually around 3 lbs a day. This is a TMR fed on a daily basis not a self serve type of deal.

Thanks for the great comments.

Bryan

I like the 7505 bull, very thick & deep. definitely one to watch

One thing I notice is that all these calves have high tailhead's, which I'm guessing is the norm in America judging from many pictures on this board. Over here, it's a very undesirable trait in the show ring & in most seedstock productions over here. We had a heifer earlier this year be put down dramatically because of a high tailhead. She was phenotypically sound in all other areas, as I said it's very undesirable over here.

Just shows the differences between the two countries I guess.

Good bulls nonetheless, and that 7505 bull is something to look out for!

DOC HARRIS":va4xnzhg said:
ring worm? Warts - possibly, But I doubt ringworm. But I could be wrong.

DOC HARRIS

Why do you doubt that it's ringworm? This is the time of year we get it here. As a matter of fact I have some right now. :shock: :shock: :D

One thing I notice is that all these calves have high tailhead's

Although scientifically unsubstantiated, high tailheads are sometimes attributed to easier calving.

Tailhead heights are the last of my personal judging criteria.

MikeC":zdt11vct said:

Although scientifically unsubstantiated, high tailheads are sometimes attributed to easier calving.

The exact opposite are scientifically substantiated, actually its more a case of a slightly sloped rump that assists in easy calving and not so much to do with the tailhead itself. Level rumps are often associated with higher tailheads though.

KNERSIE":2ab4e40s said:
MikeC":2ab4e40s said:

The exact opposite are scientifically substantiated, actually its more a case of a slightly sloped rump that assists in easy calving and not so much to do with the tailhead itself. Level rumps are often associated with higher tailheads though.

In my own personal observations in my own cattle, the heifers who measured the largest pelvic scores, tended to have higher tail heads than the ones with the buried tail heads.

My vet and I spoke of this at length and he attributed higher tail heads to calving ease, to a point.

But there is a degree to which the trait is counterproductive also. One that is too high will slope the opening upward, causing the feet to hit the backbone before exiting.

Heifers who have had a flat, low, buried tail head have caused me problems in the past.

I feel that you can go to extremes with either.

KNERSIE":1zwcftcy said:
MikeC":1zwcftcy said:

Ive heard the same too. but it seem like they were talking about poor stucture where the pin bones sloped way above the hip bones

Latest posts