Covexin 8:Calvary 9

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
If I used covexin 8 last year and years before. Can I switch to Calvary 9 now and only give the one dose or do I need to give once and booster in 3-4 weeks? Just a thought as I haven't found any to get yet that in stock. I won't need it until October but I would like to have it on hand so when I'm ready.

If I used covexin 8 last year and years before. Can I switch to Calvary 9 now and only give the one dose or do I need to give once and booster in 3-4 weeks? Just a thought as I haven't found any to get yet that in stock. I won't need it until October but I would like to have it on hand so when I'm ready.
I am no vet, and know a lot more about horses than cows. But, with any animal and most any vaccine, I don't think you will hurt any thing at all giving a booster. Especially their first time with it. How many head do you have?

I am no vet, and know a lot more about horses than cows. But, with any animal and most any vaccine, I don't think you will hurt any thing at all giving a booster. Especially their first time with it. How many head do you have?
At the moment 15, picking up 2 heifer calves in the morning, 17, plus what ever I have at vaccination time,

What TCRanch said... if your animals have been previously inoculated with Covexin-8, Cavalry (not Calvary... that's where Christ was crucified)-9 will serve just fine as the booster dose; no second dose of Cavalry-9 needed.
I've used both in the past, but felt like I got fewer or smaller 'knots' with Cavalry-9 than with Covexin-8.

Not picking on the Cavalry/Calvary thing... it's just a peeve... almost like fingernails grating on a chalkboard (dating myself there). I had to quit listening to Bill O'Reilly's audiobook of 'Killing Lincoln', about halfway through, because he kept talking about 'Stuart's Calvary', 'Custer's Calvary', etc. I just couldn't take it. I think there were enough complaints registered that he went back and re-recorded those to be 'Cavalry'
Cavalry - think 'cheval'- 'horse' in French, or 'caballo', 'horse in Spanish.

What TCRanch said... if your animals have been previously inoculated with Covexin-8, Cavalry (not Calvary... that's where Christ was crucified)-9 will serve just fine as the booster dose; no second dose of Cavalry-9 needed.
I've used both in the past, but felt like I got fewer or smaller 'knots' with Cavalry-9 than with Covexin-8.

Not picking on the Cavalry/Calvary thing... it's just a peeve... almost like fingernails grating on a chalkboard (dating myself there). I had to quit listening to Bill O'Reilly's audiobook of 'Killing Lincoln', about halfway through, because he kept talking about 'Stuart's Calvary', 'Custer's Calvary', etc. I just couldn't take it. I think there were enough complaints registered that he went back and re-recorded those to be 'Cavalry'
Cavalry - think 'cheval'- 'horse' in French, or 'caballo', 'horse in Spanish.
Thanks, now I'll see which one comes available first. Last checking neither was available. I think now I'll try for the Calvary 9 but will takes what's in first.

Bar-vac CD/T is clostridium perf with Tetanus, not quite as wide range as Covexin8. because it does not guarantee all types A, B, C in it... ... Good comparison of different types of clostridium vaccines at Progressive Cattle... discussions with Russ Daly in.... agproud.com.articles.

Also, good chart from Armor Animal Health... listing vaccines, what they cover, live or killed, safe, not safe or calf use.... has all brands , alphabetical list.

Latest posts