Pharo cattle company

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes but what is wrong with that? Saleyards and barns are a very handy place to be able to immediately cash in cattle.

Ken
Nothing wrong with selling at saleyards and barns. You need to read what I said.
Let me word it differently.I think it is stupid to take animals to the sale barn and not be there to watch them sell.
I feel this way for a couple reasons. One you are not there to bid on them or at least no sale them if you don't get what you want for them. Another reason especially if you choose to sell the majority of your cattle that way. You have no clue to what difference is between your cattle and those that brought the highest price that day. You can't fix what you don't know. Many become barn blind and leave money on the table simply by becoming barn blind.
Sale barns are a great way for someone to get quick cash.
I make a lot of profit from buying those types of calves. Although it is a small ,but growing percentage of our operations, the last few years buying otb calves from the sale barn then selling them direct as grass fed beef has produced more profit per animal then the cow calf operation.

So the value or worth of any and all cattle is only what the stockyards say they are worth.
Do you know how ridiculous it would be for that to be true.
Sorry purebred breeders you can only sell your top replacement breeding animals for what the stock yard says they are worth because that is all their true value is. Sorry the PBR bucking bull of the year is only worth what the stockyards say his value is for hamburger.
Grand champion cow of the national stock show is only worth what ever value those at the stockyards would pay for meat value.😳
Take your meds and then read what was written.

Try your own words of advice and try to read what was written. All my posts on "worth "was a result of my response to the following
and be sure too ask twice what they're worth..
Anyone else find it funny that I am told to take my meds and read what was written and/or tell me I am just stirring the pot . And then post the exact same point I made 2-3 pages ago. 🙄 re read the last few pages if you don't think so🤔

Last edited:
So the value or worth of any and all cattle is only what the stockyards say they are worth.
Do you know how ridiculous it would be for that to be true.

You're comparing commodity prices to specialty item prices. And it appears you're doing it just to cause an argument. It's getting old.
I think this is the key point in determining worth.

Worth is what a buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to accept.

Can't force me to sell cattle at a price dictated by someone else any more then I can force them to buy.
Economic realities force people to sell at lower prices all the time, just as economic realities force buyers to pay more than they wish to pay. We live in a market driven economy. A free market. That... is an economic reality.

I really doubt that.. For one, Gelbvieh is a german breed, while Simmental is a Swiss breed, yeah, they're geographically relatively close, but simmentals from Switzerland looked like what Fleckviehs look like now, Both were dual/triple purpose breeds and had to be handled. the Swiss simmental association would have no interest in the german Gelbvieh's anyhow

View attachment 24564View attachment 24565
You might want to do some research.

My banker can't he has zero ability to force me to sell my cattle. He has no financial interest in them.

Yours can't either. He can get a court order to take possession of them. Then sell them afterwards but he can't force you to do anything.
That's a bit of a technicality!, either way your cattle are getting sold and you don't have much say in it!

Do enlighten me because I'm not finding anything on google

1672902234754.png

1672902191915.png

Nothing wrong with selling at saleyards and barns. You need to read what I said.
Let me word it differently.I think it is stupid to take animals to the sale barn and not be there to watch them sell.
I feel this way for a couple reasons. One you are not there to bid on them or at least no sale them if you don't get what you want for them. Another reason especially if you choose to sell the majority of your cattle that way. You have no clue to what difference is between your cattle and those that brought the highest price that day. You can't fix what you don't know. Many become barn blind and leave money on the table simply by becoming barn blind.
Sale barns are a great way for someone to get quick cash.
I make a lot of profit from buying those types of calves. Although it is a small ,but growing percentage of our operations, the last few years buying otb calves from the sale barn then selling them direct as grass fed beef has produced more profit per animal then the cow calf operation.
Our saleyards probably work a bit different to your salebarns. Most are owned and managed by the local municipal council but the selling is done by various agents that operate out of the facility. In my case, my local saleyard has about 6 different agents that I could use, sale day is every Tuesday morning. If I want something sold there and then my agent will endeavour to present it to achieve the best price for it on the day but if I talk to my agent about what I have for sale and I have a bit of time up my sleeve he will advise me of any specialty sales coming up suitable to put them in. Just recently I had a couple of cows to unload that lost calves and Maugan said if I can hold off for a couple of weeks he was putting together a group of similar cows and because of the time of year the buyers for slaughter cows were not turning up but because he put together this group of cows he organised for them to show up and the cows brought $2562 each which was a lot more than what they would have brought if I showed up at the regular sale. I have a lot of confidence in my agent.
I don't know if you have the same sort of relationship with the operators of your salebarns there? Yes, I can take them and get an immediate sale but mostly with the help of my agent I will consign them when things are more in my favour.

Ken

Our saleyards probably work a bit different to your salebarns. Most are owned and managed by the local municipal council but the selling is done by various agents that operate out of the facility. In my case, my local saleyard has about 6 different agents that I could use, sale day is every Tuesday morning. If I want something sold there and then my agent will endeavour to present it to achieve the best price for it on the day but if I talk to my agent about what I have for sale and I have a bit of time up my sleeve he will advise me of any specialty sales coming up suitable to put them in. Just recently I had a couple of cows to unload that lost calves and Maugan said if I can hold off for a couple of weeks he was putting together a group of similar cows and because of the time of year the buyers for slaughter cows were not turning up but because he put together this group of cows he organised for them to show up and the cows brought $2562 each which was a lot more than what they would have brought if I showed up at the regular sale. I have a lot of confidence in my agent.
I don't know if you have the same sort of relationship with the operators of your salebarns there? Yes, I can take them and get an immediate sale but mostly with the help of my agent I will consign them when things are more in my favour.

Ken
Sale barns in the United States can vary quite a bit. Most private sellers and private buyers don't frequent the sale barn often enough to really get to know the operators. Some operators are very good and run their barns professionally to maximize profit for sellers, which increases their percentage. Others operate as though only interested in getting the best deals for the buyers.

It's important for livestock producers selling through a sale barn to know as much as they can about the barn(s) they use. One may be better for selling and another better for buying. Knowing the operators and having a relationship can yield better financial results.

Ken
Wish it worked like that in my county.

I did and you evidently don't believe it.
Source: "Dude, trust me" is not a valid citation
At this point it's just like your neighbor's ex wife's 3rd cousin said it

Maybe your area started off with some exceptionally bad tempered animals from breeders that didn't care, but the breed generally is known to be easy to handle.. MARC goes as far as to say UNQUESTIONABLY
1672940746068.png

I did and you evidently don't believe it.
I think you must have misunderstood or been misinformed. I suppose there is the possibility that the founding fathers of the breed considered including the Gelbvieh breed in the original registry, but that still wouldn't make them a long lost Simmental strain.

Technically, the Simmental designation includes several breeds in Europe. The name is given specifically to the breed in Switzerland, while in Germany and Austria it is known as Fleckvieh, and in France as Pie Rouge. The Pie Rouge includes three separate herd book registries namely Abondance, Montbeliard and Pie Rouge de l'Est. In Canada the breed is known as Simmental.

This video has been posted many times on the forumns. at 11:20 is a very informative chart that outlines the genetic diversity between the breeds. The entire video is worth watching. The least diversity there is is between the Continental breeds, It wasn't very long ago that they diversifed into the different breed we see today. As the lecturer says, the Continental breeds today share a lot of Angus genetics since the trend to turn them al black started. The least shared genetics, the 2 breeds that share virtually ZERO DNA, are the Angus s and the Hereford. This cross has the greatest heterosis found in 2-way crosses. The bos indicus, the Brahmans, are in a group by themselves and share no DNA with any Continetal or British breeds. This is why the Angus x f1 Hereford/Brahma is known for being the best 3-way cross there is.

There is no relationship between the Simmental and Gelbvieh breeds and never was. Gelbvieh began in Bavaria and it means yellow cattle in German which is about all I know about the breed other than seeing a few at shows over the years.

Simmental developed in Switzerland with the Fleckvieh strain of Simmentals developed in Bavaria and Austria

On the other hand the picture Nesi put up of the cow is more in line with what the breed looked like 20-30 years ago and is more similar to todays milking strains of Fleckvieh. The German Fleckvieh of today have a small amount of Red Holstein in the mix often and are geared more to milk than beef production. The breed in North America are generally solid dark red with goggle eyes and quickly moving to non dilutors and are for beef production. The push to the Fleckvieh strain began to pick up steam in the late 80's here. Very few Fullbloods aren't at least high percentage Fleckvieh in North America anymore.

The founders of the American Simmental Assn decided what strains of breeds they would accept as imported semen/cattle to upgrade here in US. The breeds first official herdbook was established in 1806 in Switzerland. Since its origin, it spread to all 6 continents. The breed was known by many different names, depending on their location. The founders chose different strains to be accepted as fullbloods to be used to upgrade here in US. They chose to exclude the Gelbvieh because of temperament issues, back in 1968. Travers Smith toured the different countries and gave his recommendations and brought the first "Simmental" into Canada providing US with their first semen.

This video has been posted many times on the forumns. at 11:20 is a very informative chart that outlines the genetic diversity between the breeds. The entire video is worth watching. The least diversity there is is between the Continental breeds, It wasn't very long ago that they diversifed into the different breed we see today. As the lecturer says, the Continental breeds today share a lot of Angus genetics since the trend to turn them al black started. The least shared genetics, the 2 breeds that share virtually ZERO DNA, are the Angus s and the Hereford. This cross has the greatest heterosis found in 2-way crosses. The bos indicus, the Brahmans, are in a group by themselves and share no DNA with any Continetal or British breeds. This is why the Angus x f1 Hereford/Brahma is known for being the best 3-way cross there is.

Think I said that:). Evidently newbs can glean something from research. What about corriente, though? So undesirable that it seems their genetics aren't even mentioned!😂

Latest posts