Pasture Breeding vs AI

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl

Reaction score
Can any of you give me a sucess rate for breeding heifers with a bull vs using AI. Using a bull? I would think would be close to 100% but I am not sure. Looking forward to your comments.

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Got 44% AI and 33% with cleanup bull in 60 day breeding season. Not very good with either. Good thing I only kept 9 heifers this year. 4 bred AI, 3 natural service, and 2 open.

novaman

Reaction score
If the bull is good and the heifers are in good shape and cycling there is no reason that you shouldn't get 95+%. However, a bull likely won't get them all bred in one cycle. With AI the success rate can be extremely high or extremely low. It depends on a number of factors including how well one heat detects, proper technique, proper placement, etc. There is no reason that a good experienced AIer shouldn't get 75% on the first cycle. Realize that it takes more labor to AI than to run a bull with the heifers. Many people will agree that the added genetic improvement from AI is worth the extra time and effort. I personally would AI heifers the first cycle or even two and then use a cleanup bull.

dun

Reaction score
For first service conceptions it probably runs about the same. Remember that in the tradtional 45 day breeding season that give the tech or the bull 2 bites at the apple. I usually run close to 90% first service and 100% with a second service. This year I ran 94% but that is the exception. Based on the palp results the bull ran about 75% but he only got one shot at them too.

bigbull338

Reaction score
breesding heifers in true heat your conception rate should be 80%.an then you should get the rest bred on the 2nd heat.an if 1 is open ship or put her with a bull.because with AI your only using a 42 to 56 day breeding season.

Latest posts