AI breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

beefgirl

Reaction score
How many times do you AI beef cow/heifer before you ship her? I do not use a clean up bull at this time.

I had one that had cysts, could have bred her again and again. Butchered her and found the problem. If it's me breeding them with my tech buddy on a follow-up we run 90%. One of us will use a Hereford the other an Angus, he always wins!!

If i catch her in a good heat and the insemination goes straight foward and im confident the placement was spot on after two times and two different a.i. sires i send her to a bull, if she misses next cycle she's gone. Not having a clean up bull is difficult because it can be operator error or dodgy semen. But after three or four times you have to say she has had a pretty good chance. Cystic cows are always challenging. I had one recently, top genetics and i paid good money for the straw to get her. Had trouble getting her in calf for her second calf and when preg checking the vet said she was cystic. He gave me all these options to move forward with her but as nice a cow as she was i sent her on her way as i didn't want those genetics in my herd.

I had one that had cysts, could have bred her again and again. Butchered her and found the problem. If it's me breeding them with my tech buddy on a follow-up we run 90%. One of us will use a Hereford the other an Angus, he always wins!!
I had one last year that ai guy said she felt weird inside /mushy/deep. Vet said she felt odd also so after 3 tries I sent her to locker. I just had her half sister rebred AI for 2nd time and hope she takes. Like that name too. Makes me smile every time I see it🤣

Latest posts