Paris sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bird dog":1ilbs4y7 said:
It all comes down to scales. Folks that don't use them cannot believe it when you tell them how much their calves lose. Its embedded in their system that 3% is the norm and it won't go much over that. It doesn't faze them to give the buyer some set amount for shrink, Is this fair, not in my opinion. Even that big weaned calf sale that they have at Sulphur Springs that that everyone says is the best deal going gives the buyer a 2% pencil shrink. Good lord why are they doing that? I think Superior gives the buyer a shrink. Why? He should have that figured in the price he is bidding in my opinion. Buyers know that its a ripoff but folks give it away because they don't want to say no. Sell off the farm, the buyer will ask for 2% in most cases.

So add it up. Gathering penning and loading you lose 2%. Hauling to the truck scales, another 1%. Buyers pencil shrink 2%. 5% total. So you gave away 30 lbs on a 600 lb calf x $1.40 equals $42 a head x 80 calf pot load and your out $3360. The calf gets to the feed lot, eats some receiving ration, drinks 3 gallons of water and presto, he weighs 600 lbs again. Not for me folks. I'll go where some of the advantage goes to the seller. OKC is the most fair to both parties that I have seen.

Superior doesn't set the shrink, the seller does.

I've been to the Paris sale barn if it's the one on 82 between Blossom and Paris. It's a lot like the ones I've used at Livingston, Raywood, and Navasota. A few wooden feed troughs and 2-3 round bales of hay in the big holding pen, just enough to keep them kinda calm but hungry enough to want to go thru a gate as soon as it's opened. Sulphur Springs does a better job feeding but they don't hold a candle to all the metal self feeders I saw OKC when I toured the place about 3 years ago. (I went up there for a car show) The pigeons steal more feed at OKC than all those little sale barns combined will feed. That place is huge.
This is just a small part of the place and the reason for small shrink:
1660514MJC1779-740x493.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.4527708 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Craig Miller":1xe4w2rp said:
Cg I have an uncle that sells straight off his farm about 150 calves a year. They bring the trucks out and load them at his place and he gets paid an agreed price. That's about all I know about it. Have you looked in to that before? If he can do it here in alabama surely you can there in texas.
My daughter did it once. And I cant believe anyone would argue our choice if this is what we do...lol... How can hauling to a sale barn 5 hours away be better than loading a pot load into a truck directly out of our pens?
Jed, I believe I've explained once before. First, all our calves have been castrated vaccinated long ago,, We could keep calves 120 days, but there are a few things to factor in. You need a facility to keep that many calves we don't have. You'd need a barn, a big one, we don't have that. We usually wean in Oct to Nov....that's when fall sets in and winter is at our backdoor. Its like someone is watching with their hand on a switch when we wean, they flip that switch and it starts raining cold rain. Now, I have calves standing around in cold mud. We could build a 100,000 dollar barn to house these calves(actually would probably cost more). We could spend those 120 days caring for these animals. We'll hope we don't lose any, each one lost is $ off you gain. You few who have small herds have said you'd do this if you had a bigger operation, so, you've never done it. We do wean and keep 20 to 60 heifers a year. That's about all the work I want after weaning...
Or we can in a short time, sell these calves off our place with no loss of weight. And those 120 days we can relax, go on vacation.......lol..........hum.....You can handle all businesses in all different ways. You can make it harder or easier, you can make more money at anything. I will check into OKC a little more. I'm going to ask around and see if any of the big operations around here ship there. Just because i'm not patting the few of you on the backs is not because i'm not listening so chill....
But I do have to question why a calf at one sale barn wont gain back like at OKC.....Have all of you been to every barn to inspect how they hold the calves? If I have a barn near me feeds exactly like OKC, wouldn't it make more sense to haul there instead? And I have to question why buyers will pay more for a calf full of feed. If you know you're calf is getting fattened up, you know the buyers know it too. I'd sure dock a calf if I knew he had 10 pounds of feed in him when I could go down the road and get a calf whos a little lighter before he stuffs himself....you cant fault me for questioning that. Yall are the ones who've argued telling me I get docked for banding a calf because the buyers can tell...

Red Bull Breeder":2yyif2im said:
CG8 your reading comprehension is lacking.
What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?

Here is a link to one of the few past discussions... No mention of OKC.
We are also thinking about the special sales, still have time for that. But my thinking is, find a buyer and precondition them for a prime price.....omit the commission from the sale barn.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108383&hilit=sale+barns

cowgirl8":mmyubst0 said:
Red Bull Breeder":mmyubst0 said:
CG8 your reading comprehension is lacking.
What i'm I missing...I understand what is being said...I see the calculations on how the calves gain back at OKC....Why is my reading comprehension lacking because I ask why a calf will not gain as good at another barn that feeds the same?

I hesitate to get involved in this, but I believe they're saying that there aren't any other barns that feed the same as OKC.

kenny thomas":24kj9bay said:
Craig Miller":24kj9bay said:
jedstivers":24kj9bay said:
You have no reading comprehension what so ever. Your not only not on the same page as what we are talking about your not even in the same book.
Atleast someone else might gane some knowledge that will help them.
Go back and reread what Texas pawpa wrote.
Undambelievable

I appreciate you educating me on this. I've never even heard on them. So do they pay you or do they haul to a sale barn and then your paid?
I will jump in till Jed gets back. The calves are delivered to OKC stockyard just like any other sales yard. The commission company takes care of the cattle in all aspects including the sale of the calves. Then the commission company writes you the check.

One last question I thought of in my sleep and I'll leave you alone...ok two.
Do you just call them up when your are ready to sale and they come get them? Are all calves sold through them worked....shots, castrated, etc? Ok there's a third one. Do they only handle calves?

Rafter your wasting your time. You will never get her to understand its not just the way they feed calves at OKC. OKC is not a salebarn like any local barns.

Craig
OKC sells calves in groups on Monday. On Tuesday it is more like a regular sale barn with animals selling individually and they sell all sizes, and all ages. If a calf gets banged up during transport, they will pull it from the Monday sale groups and run through on Tuesday,
The calves in the Monday sale can be any type and are sorted by sex and size. The commission company lets the auctioneer know about the group that is selling and he announces it. Lots of transparency there. Most are weaned with shots but there are plenty that are not. All information is disclosed. They don't try to hide anything. If one calf in a group of 50 has nuts or has a blue eye, they announce it. Bull calves get docked heavily. If a seller brings in three or more bull calves, they will sell those as a separate group.
I am not big enough to haul pot loads but the process is the same for any trucker. Call them ahead of time to schedule when to be at your farm. Be ready to load them and get him on the road asap.
Sit down one Monday when you have some time and watch the live video of the sale. It will show you how it works.

Red Bull Breeder":24pbabua said:
Rafter your wasting your time. You will never get her to understand its not just the way they feed calves at OKC. OKC is not a salebarn like any local barns.

I know, but sometimes I just can't stand it and my better judgment gets pushed aside.

Craig Miller":290tas3y said:
kenny thomas":290tas3y said:
Craig Miller":290tas3y said:
I appreciate you educating me on this. I've never even heard on them. So do they pay you or do they haul to a sale barn and then your paid?
I will jump in till Jed gets back. The calves are delivered to OKC stockyard just like any other sales yard. The commission company takes care of the cattle in all aspects including the sale of the calves. Then the commission company writes you the check.

One last question I thought of in my sleep and I'll leave you alone...ok two.
Do you just call them up when your are ready to sale and they come get them? Are all calves sold through them worked....shots, castrated, etc? Ok there's a third one. Do they only handle calves?
Ask all you want and if you need to call or text me.
I call them and tell them when I'll be sending. I don't want 4 pots to show up unannounced.
I like just sending one at a time but sometimes I I send more.
I tend to getting my own trucks. The driver makes a huge diffrence in the condition of the calves.
All my calves are. I buy bawlers and get them started. Most have to be cut. When they go they have everything and it's all on the health papers. The sell in a diffrent sale if you send the stuff with them.
They are the barn for a huge area. They handle everything gust like your local darn does.
When I was doing trader cows I sent a lots of pots of them there too.
Again. Ask all you want.
Pm me if you need a number.

Rafter S":1jzfw80b said:
Red Bull Breeder":1jzfw80b said:

I know, but sometimes I just can't stand it and my better judgment gets pushed aside.

What am I suppose to say? I did not ask for advice, I asked about the sale barn. But again, what is it you few are not getting from me?...."Oh thank you sir, we'll load up our cattle and haul them to OKC. Thank you for your wisdom i'll put all my eggs in one basket on your advice"...lol Hey, when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.
To date, this is how it is no matter if I take anyone suggestions or not...We are open to sell our calves how we want to sell....And if it bothers you, then don't freely give your advice and expect to be patted on the back for doing so.

cowgirl8":38o4gf5o said:
Rafter S":38o4gf5o said:
Red Bull Breeder":38o4gf5o said:

What am I suppose to say? I did not ask for advice, I asked about the sale barn. But again, what is it you few are not getting from me?...."Oh thank you sir, we'll load up our cattle and haul them to OKC. Thank you for your wisdom i'll put all my eggs in one basket on your advice"...lol Hey, when you guys are pondering how people make a living at ranching.... i'm living it.
To date, this is how it is no matter if I take anyone suggestions or not...We are open to sell our calves how we want to sell....And if it bothers you, then don't freely give your advice and expect to be patted on the back for doing so.

Wow . . . . . . . . all I can say.

I gotta admit this thread has enlightened me. Back in 2010 I went with a buddy to look at some heifers. Once he decided what he wanted the seller said he was taking the rest to OK City. He said he would make more money than he would at the local barn even after hauling them 4 hours. Never made sense until now.

cowgirl8":1cuy1slv said:
Rafter S":1cuy1slv said:
Red Bull Breeder":1cuy1slv said:

Here I go again. Did you see my first post here, in which I was trying to answer a question you posed? It seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. And please believe I'm not trying to pick on you or start a fight. I was also taught not to pick fights with women, or otherwise be disrespectful to them. I hope you can't find any place where I've done that.

Rafter S":1ipfhzpk said:
We had a new barn open just outside Navasota a few years ago, 2 or 3 miles from the one that's been there forever. At the time the story was the same as you're saying, they were trying to run the old one out of business. The new one didn't last long under the original management, but it has new owners now and they're both still in business.
This one? If so, yay, back to the subject of the post. .
If anything, Paris will have tricked out sale barns. I didn't like the old one in town.. The second one in Reno is a very nice setup. Very inviting, your calves get their own pen. They welcome you to walk the catwalk. People are nice and eager for your business. But the new one is, wowzer huge...Maybe what will happen is he goes out and the second setup buys it. I cant wait to see what they've built. Yes, i'll check it out.
If anyone has any information of the Paris livestock situation, please share it.....Lets stay on subject please..

Back in the day, when our kids were little we'd go by the Paris sale barn in town and get a free ice cream.. unless it was a day with lots of flies, i'd always go in and check first. Farm life, gotta love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts