Paris sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bird dog":ts4aq2kl said:
I wish I was wealthy enough where $1500 wasn't worth the effort.

Its probably about $50 - $70 a head to the best of my figuring and I only haul 12000 to 15000 lb at a time of 7 weights
1500 in a course of a year is peanuts... That's just an extra calf and a halfish.. Just being out with my cows daily, I save about 5 calves a year. You'd think that people who raise cattle would do the same for that kind of money, right....Its all how you look at it..

The OKC buyers are a little more sophisticated than your average sale barn buyer. Sure they will pay more per lb for a thin calf but they really want calves that are weaned, on grain and ready to gain as soon as they hit the ground at the feed lot or wheat pasture. The calves they are looking for are not high risk and they pay for that.

cowgirl8":39jb1cw3 said:
bird dog":39jb1cw3 said:
cowgirl8":39jb1cw3 said:
I'm guessing my shrink is 0 because we get up, haul and sell... We never take our cattle days before a sale... Is that a thing, really?

I guarantee you your shrink is not zero. I would bet at least 5%, probably more. Also the weight right off the pasture is gonna be about 2 or 3% larger than penning, loading and a short trip to the scales.

So you're saying, we take our calves to the sale the day before, they'll gain that 5% back and gain back what they lose in that 5+hour haul? HUM? The barns we take to have water and hay. Not every calf is going to in a day, siffle up to a hay bale or feed bin and eat up. If so, why don't that do that at weaning? Takes forever to regain that. And can I wonder why they aren't docked for being full of feed when they go into the sale barn? What buyer wants to pay that for a calf with a belly full of feed and hay? I've always been told a fat calf gets docked, no buyer is going to pay more for that added feed weight.
Listen to what is being said. You will learn something. It's fine to ask questions about what you don't know but change the tone of how your asking pls. Your coming across in a condescending tone.
You can stand to net several thousand dollars a year from one simple little thread.

Texas PaPaw":1051px0w said:
Craig Miller":1051px0w said:
Why do y'all get less shrink in okc versus a "regular barn"?

At okc we ship them on Saturday for the Monday sale. They are unloaded into small pens that have water trough and feed box that has alfalfa based stockyard pelleted feed in them. This allows the cattle to fill back up and regain whatever weight they lost during the haul and the pellets let them eat more lb of feed without looking too full like sometimes happens when hay is fed. Also at okc my calves are never comingled with other cattle prior to selling so no fighting (= even more shrink) as typically happens at local yards.

For several years, I weighed every load when it left my place and compared to payweight. Local barns would shrink 4-6% or more where at okc payweight is +/- 1% of weight leaving my place, with average being zero. If you haven't weighed any cattle before selling them at these small barns pretty sure you would be shocked at how many fewer lbs you get paid for compared to what left your farm.

What so you think it is if you were to load in the morning and sell before supper? That's how we usually do. I guess we go to a small sale.

Craig Miller":2s0hjayr said:
Texas PaPaw":2s0hjayr said:
Craig Miller":2s0hjayr said:
Why do y'all get less shrink in okc versus a "regular barn"?

At okc we ship them on Saturday for the Monday sale. They are unloaded into small pens that have water trough and feed box that has alfalfa based stockyard pelleted feed in them. This allows the cattle to fill back up and regain whatever weight they lost during the haul and the pellets let them eat more lb of feed without looking too full like sometimes happens when hay is fed. Also at okc my calves are never comingled with other cattle prior to selling so no fighting (= even more shrink) as typically happens at local yards.

For several years, I weighed every load when it left my place and compared to payweight. Local barns would shrink 4-6% or more where at okc payweight is +/- 1% of weight leaving my place, with average being zero. If you haven't weighed any cattle before selling them at these small barns pretty sure you would be shocked at how many fewer lbs you get paid for compared to what left your farm.

What so you think it is if you were to load in the morning and sell before supper? That's how we usually do. I guess we go to a small sale.
Craig
I bet you're looking at 5% easy

You will lose 2 to 3% just loading them and hauling them

Paris Stockyards here in Kentucky does the same thing as OKC. You can take your stock over a day in advance, they stabilize, are put on water and settle down where they are not pooping and peeing. Thus, they recover before sale the haulage shrinkage. I still lose some in shrinkage but nothing like a 5 hour drive, they stay on a truck, and then are pushed into the ring.

cowgirl8":1q9v53k0 said:
bird dog":1q9v53k0 said:
I wish I was wealthy enough where $1500 wasn't worth the effort.

Its probably about $50 - $70 a head to the best of my figuring and I only haul 12000 to 15000 lb at a time of 7 weights
1500 in a course of a year is peanuts... That's just an extra calf and a halfish.. Just being out with my cows daily, I save about 5 calves a year. You'd think that people who raise cattle would do the same for that kind of money, right....Its all how you look at it..

It's hard for me to imagine some one saying 1500 isn't worth the trouble. The people I know who live on cow income count the price of everything in calves. 100 acres? That's 7 calves a year. New tractor? 2 calves a year. A calf and a half for you would mean you could pay for the pot trailer and haul your own without renting the trailer or paying for hauling.

Bright Raven":3jvadshm said:
Paris Stockyards here in Kentucky does the same thing as OKC. You can take your stock over a day in advance, they stabilize, are put on water and settle down where they are not pooping and peeing. Thus, they recover before sale the haulage shrinkage. I still lose some in shrinkage but nothing like a 5 hour drive, they stay on a truck, and then are pushed into the ring.

Ours does that too. You pay extra for it. They are given hay. Who know what kind. There's about 30 in a pen with water and hay on one side. The only was they get to it is if the whole bunch rotates around.

cowgirl8":1yornvs2 said:
Texas PaPaw":1yornvs2 said:
My experience is 4-6% shrink at several different area yards versus 0% at OKC when shipped on Saturaday for Monday sale. FWIW last load I sold there, all commission,fees, and 2 days feed were only $25/hd. No local yards will be anywhere close to that.
I'm guessing my shrink is 0 because we get up, haul and sell... We never take our cattle days before a sale... Is that a thing, really?
Your shrink is running 5% easy
Calves will lose 3 to 5% just loading them and hauling them 20 miles

MoCracker is correct. Very rare to have one under 5% even in cooler weather. The best you can do is try to unload them just before they go into the ring. The stress on young light weight calves is the killer. They have been taken away from their home (probably their mother too), mixed with a bunch of calves that will bully them around, and exposed to all types of pathogens. They won't eat and they won't drink but they will darn sure walk the fence and bawl.
At OKC they are never commingled, stay in a small pen with their own creep feeder and water trough.

Can't believe someone with as large of an operation as CWgrl8 would sell at small local barns
Even with my small operation I would ship 2 pot loads at a time
I didn't go thru sale barns or a commission company
I sold mine to order buyers right off the ranch
If I hadn't been doing that I would of shipped to OKC
Heck even down here in Fl a lot of calves go to OKC

bird dog":31q1oh82 said:
MoCracker is correct. Very rare to have one under 5% even in cooler weather. The best you can do is try to unload them just before they go into the ring. The stress on young light weight calves is the killer. They have been taken away from their home (probably their mother too), mixed with a bunch of calves that will bully them around, and exposed to all types of pathogens. They won't eat and they won't drink but they will darn sure walk the fence and bawl.
At OKC they are never commingled, stay in a small pen with their own creep feeder and water trough.

It is a huge stress. I like our Paris yards. Seems like they provide a better environment to stabilize. I haul my 8 month old bulls to Fire Sweep who finishes them. Amazing how much they drop in that 10 hour ride.

What I am working to do is sell straight off the ranch. Weigh truck before,weigh truck loaded. Get handed a check.

The $5-600 more per gooseneck load and $2500 per pot load is net after hauling is taken out. This is easiest money I have made. Just call trucker and commission co, then load him up on appointed Saturday then the next Wednesday the money is wire transferred to my bank account. Never have to leave my place to do this. Simple enough even old worn out guy like me can do it. I hire all mine hauled as I can't haul them as cheap as can hire it done plus don't want to spend my weekend driving 10 hr roundtrip. Mostly gooseneck loads but occasionally a pot load. Obviously it's quite a bit cheaper per lb if have a potload. Last time I figured it any potload over 32,000 lb, the cost per lb would be cheaper than a gooseneck. There are several guys with bigger goosenecks than mine that will haul for $2.50-3.00/mile.

I understand folks being skeptical about this as I was before I sold a load at okc. Friend in next county told me he sold there and about the less shrink so I decided to try it and by golly he was right. But until a person weighs their calves when the leave their farm and compares this wt to the payweight on their sale summary they are just shooting in the dark when it comes to figuring shrink. Can guarantee you shrink is alive and well at these smaller salebarns as they are not setup to feed and handle calves for minimal shrink as okc is. Also this has to be a joint effort between the seller and salebarn. Not only Jed, birddog and myself but many others from multiple states have similar selling experiences at okc vs locally. Bet there are loads of cattle every week going thru Paris headed to okc. FWIW there are several different commission companies at okc. Western Commission is the one that myself, Jed, birddog and many others use. They do great job handling and marketing our calves. If anyone needs their contact info just pm me.

Something I have learned over last 60+ years is only way to know if something will work or not, in my particular circumstances is to give it a try on a somewhat small scale. Then it's a matter of learning and if necessary adapting to the circumstances. Asking questions and learning all you can from others experiences is just preparatory homework.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." The water is there, just have to have the courage to taste it. Pretty sure if taste it, it you will like it.

Just another 2 cents worth. 'Nuff said

cowgirl8":2c2k4lzu said:
What I am working to do is sell straight off the ranch. Weigh truck before,weigh truck loaded. Get handed a check.

Pretty easy to find a buyer if you can make 40 to 50 thousand lbs. Roughly 70 calves or so. Should be easy for a big operation like yours.

Texas PaPaw":3afhow8s said:
The $5-600 more per gooseneck load and $2500 per pot load is net after hauling is taken out. This is easiest money I have made. Just call trucker and commission co, then load him up on appointed Saturday then the next Wednesday the money is wire transferred to my bank account. Never have to leave my place to do this. Simple enough even old worn out guy like me can do it. I hire all mine hauled as I can't haul them as cheap as can hire it done plus don't want to spend my weekend driving 10 hr roundtrip. Mostly gooseneck loads but occasionally a pot load. Obviously it's quite a bit cheaper per lb if have a potload. Last time I figured it any potload over 32,000 lb, the cost per lb would be cheaper than a gooseneck. There are several guys with bigger goosenecks than mine that will haul for $2.50-3.00/mile.

I understand folks being skeptical about this as I was before I sold a load at okc. Friend in next county told me he sold there and about the less shrink so I decided to try it and by golly he was right. But until a person weighs their calves when the leave their farm and compares this wt to the payweight on their sale summary they are just shooting in the dark when it comes to figuring shrink. Can guarantee you shrink is alive and well at these smaller salebarns as they are not setup to feed and handle calves for minimal shrink as okc is. Also this has to be a joint effort between the seller and salebarn. Not only Jed, birddog and myself but many others from multiple states have similar selling experiences at okc vs locally. Bet there are loads of cattle every week going thru Paris headed to okc. FWIW there are several different commission companies at okc. Western Commission is the one that myself, Jed, birddog and many others use. They do great job handling and marketing our calves. If anyone needs their contact info just pm me.

Something I have learned over last 60+ years is only way to know if something will work or not, in my particular circumstances is to give it a try on a somewhat small scale. Then it's a matter of learning and if necessary adapting to the circumstances. Asking questions and learning all you can from others experiences is just preparatory homework.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink." The water is there, just have to have the courage to taste it. Pretty sure if taste it, it you will like it.

Likewise, i took a gooseneck load of calves there on a Saturday avg wt 606, sold Monday weighed 609.

cowgirl8":1jvvm1ip said:

That is pretty easy. Just contact Superior Livestock and put them on the video. Lots of buyers from all country to bid on them. The commission is 2%. There is a pencil shrink but if you handle the calves easy getting on to the truck the majority of that shrink will be on the floor of the truck and get weighed along with the calves. I know that when I check their prices and compare them to any sale barn in this area, they beat the socks off the sale barns.

Texas PaPaw":2duza19n said:

What's a commission company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts