Sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

So how do they work?
There are a few variables in sale barns just like in any group of similar businesses.

But generally, people bring in their livestock to be sold by the barn on a commission basis. The barn gets a cut of the sales price and/or a set fee.

Some barns tend to favor the sellers, but in my experience most barns favor the buyers. A good barn treads the line between sellers and buyers and tries to be neutral in the exchange.

It's in your interest to visit often and get to know consistent sellers, and to pay attention to buyers and how/why/what they bid on. Get to know the auctioneers and if they can be friendly and useful. Some people working the sale barns can give you good information if you are useful and/or friendly with them. The sale barn is a make or break financial necessity for many producers and is serious business. Best you treat it that way. Learn, risk what you can afford to lose, and look for your own ways to game the system.

A lot of your contacts through the sale barns can become valuable outside of the sale barn.

@MurraysMutts ... are you anywhere near this poster? You would be a good one to give them some advice in that area.
Appears I'm about 2 hrs away. I don't know if there is a sale barn in Bartlesville or not. But there is a big sale at Tulsa every week.

If I were @bscattle I'd just go hang out and watch a few sales. Bout the closest I get is Stillwater/perkins sale. But have not been over that way in quite a while!

Little local sale in Covington Oklahoma was rained out this Saturday.

They will have a sale this Tuesday in caldwell ks tho. Monday is blackwell ok. Excellent sale to go hang out and watch!! Everyone there is pretty friendly. If ya decide to go watch let me know, I know a guy over there who will be happy to sit with ya and talk thru the sale...

I've burned all my vacation or I'd take a day off and meet up somewhere.

Edited to add!

ACTUALLY!! There is a Saturday sale in Pawnee Oklahoma. I can do that weekend after next! Pretty good sale there usually. Good eats too

Some barns tend to favor the sellers, but in my experience most barns favor the buyers. A good barn treads the line between sellers and buyers and tries to be neutral in the exchange.
When I was getting my auctioneers license, the auctioneer who taught me the business side of it told me that you always work for the seller. The more an item brings that happier the seller is, the more commission you make, and the more likely that seller is to bring you future business.

Definitely spend time at the closest sale barn. You can generally watch online to get a feel for the types & quality of cattle, but you need to observe the sellers & buyers to really get a feel for what they're looking for. And it depends on what you're selling - or buying. And how many.

If you're selling calves, things buyers are looking for are: preconditioned. Are they weaned (preferably a minimum of 45 days) and fully vaccinated (preferably 2 rounds)? Have the bull calves been steered and are the heifers guaranteed open? Is it a uniform group of calves (same color/breed) or are you trying to sell a couple here 'n there?

Stags get docked. So does frostbitten ears, potbellied, sometimes evidence of pinkeye (definitely if it's blind), any calf limping or other signs of illness or injury. Oh, and crazy. Nobody wants a wild calf (and especially not a wild cow!). If you're selling cull cows (for whatever reason), most of them will end up as butcher cows right now in this market. Bad bags, bad feet, old, open, ornery, etc. are absolutely going straight to the packer.

Does the sale barn advertise early consignments? At least around here, it does generate more interest.

Grandparents had a place in Okesa up around Bartlesville. He would go to Coffeville, KS. I like the Payne County sale.

In the end, try as you might, you will be a price taker at the sale barn. What they are willing to pay you is what you get, minus the fees, commissions, transport etc. Lots of good advice already given on what you can do on your part in hoping to please the buyers.
Unless you direct market and cut the sale barn out of the middle, which might be the better way to go with just one or two animals. That way you have some say in pricing and don't have to worry about commissions and stuff.

Definitely go with someone that'll answer questions for you. It helps tremendously.

Best way to learn is buy and sell some. Lost money is a quick teacher. Hopefully you lose none though.
I seen calves sell yesterday for as little as 30 cents a lb to as high ss 2.70 a lb. Dont be on the .30 end.

Appears I'm about 2 hrs away. I don't know if there is a sale barn in Bartlesville or not. But there is a big sale at Tulsa every week.

If I were @bscattle I'd just go hang out and watch a few sales. Bout the closest I get is Stillwater/perkins sale. But have not been over that way in quite a while!

That's what we are thinking about doing, going and watching. We have the Tulsa Stockyards, South Coffeeville….
Little local sale in Covington Oklahoma was rained out this Saturday.

They will have a sale this Tuesday in caldwell ks tho. Monday is blackwell ok. Excellent sale to go hang out and watch!! Everyone there is pretty friendly. If ya decide to go watch let me know, I know a guy over there who will be happy to sit with ya and talk thru the sale...

I've burned all my vacation or I'd take a day off and meet up somewhere.

Edited to add!

ACTUALLY!! There is a Saturday sale in Pawnee Oklahoma. I can do that weekend after next! Pretty good sale there usually. Good eats too
Blackwell might be an option as well, it's about a 45 minute drive from us. We might show up on motorcycles…. And Pawnee might be an option also.

So I think the plan needs to be that we take a day and go to some sale barns and watch, visit ask questions etc….

And since for now we are only going to be small operation we might just try to sale them ourselves…

What about going to like state fairs or little 4-H fairs…but I think most of those are show cattle that go straight to slaughter?

Latest posts