Sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Went to the sale today just for something to do. They had about 20-25 bred cows. They all went to kill for about $1.10. Can't pay that much for them and have to feed them all winter and come out. A small group of good Red Angus steers weighing 502 sold for $2.80. Good calves and yearlings sold real good. But there was a huge drop off for the lesser quality cattle. From well over $2 down to $1.00-$1.20. Dairy steers were solid at $0.82. They probably had 20 Aberdeen Angus calves weighing around 400. They sold for $1.00 to $1.20. The next lot behind them was nice kind of average black steers weighing 437. They sold for $2.55. They was one red heifer with just touch of ear. Looked to me like Red Angus Gert cross. She weighed 710 and sold for $1.02. A red Angus heifer weighing 745 that sold right before her brought $2.10. And the next cattle in the ring was 3 grey heifers weighing 609 brought $2.40. They don't like ears or longhorns here.

They say the Dow Jones market "climbs a wall of worry". I think it means a strong bull market is beset by little setbacks and attempts to derail it.

Maybe that is happening in the cattle market and we are in for a couple of years of profit. I hope so.

Went to the sale today just for something to do. They had about 20-25 bred cows. They all went to kill for about $1.10. Can't pay that much for them and have to feed them all winter and come out. A small group of good Red Angus steers weighing 502 sold for $2.80. Good calves and yearlings sold real good. But there was a huge drop off for the lesser quality cattle. From well over $2 down to $1.00-$1.20. Dairy steers were solid at $0.82. They probably had 20 Aberdeen Angus calves weighing around 400. They sold for $1.00 to $1.20. The next lot behind them was nice kind of average black steers weighing 437. They sold for $2.55. They was one red heifer with just touch of ear. Looked to me like Red Angus Gert cross. She weighed 710 and sold for $1.02. A red Angus heifer weighing 745 that sold right before her brought $2.10. And the next cattle in the ring was 3 grey heifers weighing 609 brought $2.40. They don't like ears or longhorns here.
I'd a dang sure JUMPED on them Aberdeens especially if they were heifers! Those things graze well. And re-sell online real nice!!
Dave, i heard some of the same reports ftom Tennessee yesterday. Wish i had been there to pick up some of the #2's.

I'd a dang sure JUMPED on them Aberdeens especially if they were heifers! Those things graze well. And re-sell online real nice!!
About 50/50 steers adn heifers. One bull at about 550 pounds. Apparently they don't sell worth a dam here. I would rather have those 3 steers that followed them. But at this moment I have no where to go with anything. My yearlings and the old cows will be leaving in about 3 weeks. When those broken mouth cows leave there will be about 100+ weaned calves coming here to go out on hay field regrowth. I guess I could kick something out on the BLM. But calves sure don't work doing that and cows are way to expensive.

A big no. Forest circus and National Parks are two separate and very different agencies. Let your cows run in the park and you might find yourself in temporary housing at the gray bar hotel.

Where I come from Aberdeen angus and black angus are the same breed...
The Lowline Association decided to rename theirs to "American Aberdeen Association"

Thought this was interesting. I'm always curious if droughty areas take a hit when others are doing well-this is East Texas sale-they've had rain.

Attachments

• D8E8CCC8-EA71-4CD9-8862-32B52A209CD2.png
    D8E8CCC8-EA71-4CD9-8862-32B52A209CD2.png
    717.2 KB · Views: 30
That is about how the Aberdeen Andy's sell in this area. All short framed cattle are docked.

I hauled in a few culls for B today. They must have had 100 bred cows. Two dispersals plus some others. The cows all went to kill. They were selling by the head as they were bred cows. But I know who the kill buyers are and I know their numbers. I can do math too. They were paying $1.10 to $1.19 for them. One group of 24 full mouth bred cows that were bred for Feb-Mar calves sold for $1,600 a head to kill.
We have a date at the plant for our cows. They get on the truck on the 16th. I know the buyer for that plant I asked him what the top end kill price is today. He said $2.15-2.17 a pound on the rail. That might put me to dancing on the table.

I hauled in a few culls for B today. They must have had 100 bred cows. Two dispersals plus some others. The cows all went to kill. They were selling by the head as they were bred cows. But I know who the kill buyers are and I know their numbers. I can do math too. They were paying $1.10 to $1.19 for them. One group of 24 full mouth bred cows that were bred for Feb-Mar calves sold for $1,600 a head to kill.
We have a date at the plant for our cows. They get on the truck on the 16th. I know the buyer for that plant I asked him what the top end kill price is today. He said $2.15-2.17 a pound on the rail. That might put me to dancing on the table.
It's gonna be a GOOD year Dave!!

Just remember. Ain't always like that. 🙂

Whatever will you buy back to start again???

It's gonna be a GOOD year Dave!!

Just remember. Ain't always like that. 🙂

Whatever will you buy back to start again???
My Dad gave me a day old Holstein bull calf 64 years ago. I have no problem remembering that times aren't always like this.

I am going to have to pay taxes. Although I hate doing that it does mean that we are making money.

What will I buy back? Hmmmmm the crystal ball is a bit cloudy at this point. Hay is a lot cheaper. I just heard of 2nd cutting no rain alfalfa costing $155 delivered. A couple years ago it was $300 at the stack. That both works in our favor and against it. What class of cattle will be cheaper as winter arrives. What will thinner framey cows cost compared to now. Will they even be available? Or with low hay price and high calf price cause people to hang on to anything that is bred? As I said the crystal ball is cloudy. B and I will be putting our collective heads together.

My Dad gave me a day old Holstein bull calf 64 years ago. I have no problem remembering that times aren't always like this.

I am going to have to pay taxes. Although I hate doing that it does mean that we are making money.

What will I buy back? Hmmmmm the crystal ball is a bit cloudy at this point. Hay is a lot cheaper. I just heard of 2nd cutting no rain alfalfa costing $155 delivered. A couple years ago it was $300 at the stack. That both works in our favor and against it. What class of cattle will be cheaper as winter arrives. What will thinner framey cows cost compared to now. Will they even be available? Or with low hay price and high calf price cause people to hang on to anything that is bred? As I said the crystal ball is cloudy. B and I will be putting our collective heads together.
Sheep?

Real estate may never be cheaper. If you can find the right deal...

I think cows are still gonna get higher around here with the surplus of hay we have this year. After last year's megadraught, prices are pretty dang high already. Reason I've bought a couple colorful pairs with decent enough calves on em. I think them colorful cows are gonna bring what I gave for the pairs come fall. And the calves are really doing pretty dang good too. Folks are gonna want wheat grazers and I sure think they are gonna be scarce and expensive!

Latest posts